Thread: Two weeks in and nine pounds down... page

jcharlesblack is offline Junior Member

Two weeks in and nine pounds down...

Primal Fuel
    I am two weeks in and nine pounds down. Carb flu has passed and my energy and clarity have increased. And there is something else. This has been a real surprise that I am so thankful for, I am dreaming again. A little personal history: I was a fat kid who had a parent who smoked cigarettes in the house, two ingredients that made for intermittent asthma attacks and chronic sleep apnea. After a tonsil and adenoidectomy I could sleep deep enough to dream, but that did not last more than a few years. Since graduating high school my sleep was rarely deep enough that I could dream.

At my heaviest I was 304 pounds. My doctor struggled to drag a second scale into his examination room so that I could straddle two of them to get an accurate measurement. Since that embarrassing episode in late 2001 I have endeavored to follow his advice of low-fat/high-carb dieting. After two years I worked and starved myself down 60 pounds. Then I gained 20 pounds. Then I lost 20 pounds. A little more than a year ago I suffered a terrible event which robed me of my business and a year’s worth of profits.

Stressed out I gained 35 pounds. Last month I finally figured out that milk does not agree with me. For whatever reason this got me thinking: what other foods could be making me feel sick. I frequent lewrockwell.com and read articles about the primal diet for some time, but did not give it much consideration. But last month I watched the lectures and documentaries. I read the forums. I browsed the before and after photos. I was sold.

I turned to the primal blueprint out of desperation. I am tired of being hungry and feeling terrible. As much as I love my grandmother’s biscuits and my mom’s humus I like more the idea that I can be healthy. Going primal, for me, was first a crash course in nutrition. I learned as I went. A few times a day I was Googling “is such and such primal?” If it wasn’t I resolved to remove it from my diet. I found there was nothing in the cabinet that I could eat. So I just stopped opening it.

I eat salads at least once a day. I love my bacon. Chili Verde is now one of my favorite meals. And I have never eaten so many eggs in a two week period in all my life. I burn a little more than 3000 calories a day and stay full eating a daily average of 1600 calories. My head is clearer. The definition in my hands is starting to come back. I have to cinch my belt tighter. And like I mentioned before, I look forward to vivid dreams every night. Now my aunt is counting carbs and my best friend is reading marksdailyapple.com.

To those who have posted their progress and wisdom, thank you and please don’t stop. To those of you who are on the fence, you have to decide what is important in your life. You have to honestly consider that the nutritional information fed to you is killing you slowly. Then add my story to the myriad of others on this site as encouragement that you can make the hard choice. You can eat well and heal your body’s ailments as a result.
    Question everything and be ready to defend your ideas with reason. Respect the self ownership of individuals, especially your own. Smile and take stock in the best characteristics of humanity, for it is these that will save us from a life of misery and ignorance. Confidence. Conscience. Optimism. These are the virtues I strive to achieve.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I'm glad it's going well. Some folks can easy into primal but I agree that going strict is right for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and congrats!

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I will look forward to seeing some awesome before and after pics in about 6 months :-)
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day