Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does nutrient density produce satiety? page

kbn1 is offline Senior Member

Does nutrient density produce satiety?

Shop Now
    A few days ago I made a stew with grass fed bison heart and have been curiously satisfied with small servings of this stew. While I have noticed something similar when eating liver I have always attributed it to liver not being my favorite thing. Bitter greens are along the same line. I quite enjoy them, but I just figured I didn't want to eat as much because of the more assertive flavors. The heart got me thinking though. It tastes pretty much like other cuts of bison, but I got full so fast. Is there a link between nutrient density and satiety? Just a loose hypothesis...

patski is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking there may be a correlation. I find I can't eat too much grass-fed beef in one sitting. It could be the fat. Or maybe not.

I like your hypothesis!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I make my own vegetable broth from vegetable scraps. Then I make veggie soup from the broth. After about 1/2 cup of the stuff I have to force myself to eat the rest of the soup and lunch. At first I thought it was because I didn't like the taste; but it didn't feel like that. It was more like an antioxidant shock.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Bump. Any other thoughts?

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I find soups and stews to be very filling too,it seems to just be the nature of the beast imo. I some beef soup a few days ago and it lasted for 6 meals,which is a lot around here.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think satiety isn't attributable to just one thing, but i think that without a doubt nutrient density plays a roll. being nourished is a great thing!

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I find that I don't eat very much Bone broth in one sitting...no matter how hungry I am...

Doesn't make a damn bit of sense. I mean it's basically water and minerals (along with a little fat) right?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Chicken and shellfish are meats that I can eat the required amount of and will always be hungry again by the end of the day. I've stopped trying to eat just chicken/shrimp/scallops/ect. I have some of the above item and eat beef for the rest of my protein.

Even if I eat added fat with the chicken or shellfish - I still get hungry later - especially with shellfish.
    Cow is the best meat choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    I find soups and stews to be very filling too,it seems to just be the nature of the beast imo. I some beef soup a few days ago and it lasted for 6 meals,which is a lot around here.
    You are correct, stews are quite filling. When I have made stews with beef roast I tend to eat about twice as much for a meal as I have been eating of the heart stew.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i think satiety isn't attributable to just one thing, but i think that without a doubt nutrient density plays a roll. being nourished is a great thing!
    Of course. I just hadn't considered the role of nutrient density before. If nutrient density does indeed play a role, I wonder, by what mechanism does the brain recognize nutrient content?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I know that protein provides more satiety per calorie than fat and carb.

Yes, I think you're onto something that nutrient density also produces more satiety. As to the mechanism - well it's bound to have a psychological component. Perhaps also our olfactory centre can be programmed to register foods that have a high nutrient density and even to favour foods that are high in nutrients that our body is running low on. That would explain pregnant women having food cravings for strange combinations of foods or even reportedly eating soil or cement because they are deficient in certain minerals.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast