Thread: GAPS tanking adrenals and thyroid? page

Minagelina is offline Member

GAPS tanking adrenals and thyroid?

Primal Fuel
    OK, so this post is really about GAPS, but GAPS is very primal in nature. Cheeseslave has apparently mentioned that GAPS tanked her adrenals and thyroid. I heard another woman say the same thing from a different forum. I am wondering if the low carb nature of these diets can do that? Or would it be something that was already a problem and just happened to coincide with the diets? I can't afford adrenal and thyroid issues (autism mom here), and I am already taking armour to up my thyroid a little. I don't want to go back to grains or anything as my energy levels are so much more even keel now. However the adrenal thing concerns me.

Julie

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I read Cheeseslave as well, and I'm also confused. First it was rah-rah GAPS, and now it's that GAPS killed her adrenals. My completely non-expert opinion is that GAPS and the adrenals could work, as long as you were getting enough carbs from GAPS-approved sources, like tubers and things. I've heard you need to fix your adrenals first before working on your thyroid. Perhaps contacting Dr. McBride may help as well, as she might be able to clarify this issue. While I really enjoy Cheeseslave's blog, I sometimes think that her opinions may not be correct (earthing, lunaception, her recent post on Paleo, etc.). I'd like to hear more about this as well from different sources. If GAPS really was bad for the adrenal system, I think we'd have heard more about that from so many who are using the diet for autism.

Elthea is offline Member
    This podcast features stuff on carbs and thyroid function:

Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)

Also, there's a thread on this forum about iodine specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I read Cheeseslave as well, and I'm also confused. First it was rah-rah GAPS, and now it's that GAPS killed her adrenals. My completely non-expert opinion is that GAPS and the adrenals could work, as long as you were getting enough carbs from GAPS-approved sources, like tubers and things. I've heard you need to fix your adrenals first before working on your thyroid. Perhaps contacting Dr. McBride may help as well, as she might be able to clarify this issue. While I really enjoy Cheeseslave's blog, I sometimes think that her opinions may not be correct (earthing, lunaception, her recent post on Paleo, etc.). I'd like to hear more about this as well from different sources. If GAPS really was bad for the adrenal system, I think we'd have heard more about that from so many who are using the diet for autism.
    She's at it again. Why does this bug me so much?!

How I Went Too Low-Carb on the GAPS Diet (Guest Post) | CHEESESLAVE

I guess it's because she keeps saying you have to be careful with GAPS and keep up your carbs with veggies and such, and then turns around and makes it sound like you have to have grains. I figure that if you can do a couple of years on GAPS with enough carbs from non grain sources,then you can do GAPS long term. She keeps flip flopping carbs and grains.

McChunky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    She's at it again. Why does this bug me so much?!

How I Went Too Low-Carb on the GAPS Diet (Guest Post) | CHEESESLAVE

I guess it's because she keeps saying you have to be careful with GAPS and keep up your carbs with veggies and such, and then turns around and makes it sound like you have to have grains. I figure that if you can do a couple of years on GAPS with enough carbs from non grain sources,then you can do GAPS long term. She keeps flip flopping carbs and grains.
    Yeah, I enjoy her blog but some of her posts in the last several months have been a little off to me. At the end of the day, she's just giving her opinion on her self-experimentation and that is very anecdotal and may or may not apply to anyone else.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I'm a bit uncomfortable with Cheeseslave's recent conversion to Matt Stone's carb feed programme RRARF. Instead of just upping her carbs a bit she is face down in the grain-based foods. I personally feel that carbs are not the enemy and that Paleo has become too carb-phobic. BUT I think she has flipped too far the other way by adding in large amounts of grain-based junk food.

I only came across GAPS recently and it looks pretty good to me. I think you can eat a reasonable amount of carbs from the approved list and be pretty healthy. There is enough flexibility to be low or moderate carb depending on how you feel. My own experience is that I feel better with more non-grain carbs (warmer, better sleep etc), so I think higher carbs are better for me. I can see that carb refeeds may be a good idea too.

That link didn't work for me today, but it might be me or her blog - I read it the other day so I hope my recall was ok.
    Last edited by jo; 03-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.

BJK77 is offline Junior Member
    GAPS in and of itself is not low carb. Some people find they need to cut carbs to deal with yeast overgrowth, but that's an individual choice. You can get plenty of carbs by eating starchy veggies like carrots, beets, winter squash and things like nuts and seeds. I've been on GAPS for over a year and have been very low carb most of that time. My adrenals and thyroid improved. I'm now doing the leptin rx along with GAPS and am seeing even more improvements.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    OK so I've read it now. I was thinking of Cheeseslaves own post here.

I have a wheat and gluten sensitivity so many grains are out for me, but I do use buckwheat flour, so I'm not anti grain in principle (yes I know technically that buckwheat is not a grain). I will do up some buckwheat pancakes every now and again and they do warm me up when I eat them (with butter and honey). But 'healthy whole grains' does not work for me, and I think a read of Dr Davis' Wheat Belly book explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I'm a bit uncomfortable with Cheeseslave's recent conversion to Matt Stone's carb feed programme RRARF. Instead of just upping her carbs a bit she is face down in the grain-based foods. I personally feel that carbs are not the enemy and that Paleo has become too carb-phobic. BUT I think she has flipped too far the other way by adding in large amounts of grain-based junk food.

I only came across GAPS recently and it looks pretty good to me. I think you can eat a reasonable amount of carbs from the approved list and be pretty healthy. There is enough flexibility to be low or moderate carb depending on how you feel. My own experience is that I feel better with more non-grain carbs (warmer, better sleep etc), so I think higher carbs are better for me. I can see that carb refeeds may be a good idea too.

That link didn't work for me today, but it might be me or her blog - I read it the other day so I hope my recall was ok.

Yeah, I personally wonder if all of this really stems from "I missed my grains, and now is a great excuse to stuff my face with them." Because if she really meant upping carbs, she could have done that with the diet at hand. The interchanging of the words "carbs" and "grains" is driving me crazy! And it's making people take in too many, I think.