Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for your "sprint" buck? page

msfish is offline Junior Member

Best bang for your "sprint" buck?

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing Tabata sprints for a couple of weeks now. My sprints are 8 at 20sec. with 10sec. rest. Sometimes I will do 8, rest 2 min. then 4, rest 2min, then 2.

Question is:
    If I were to do longer sprints maybe 1/4mile then fully recover my heart rate and repeat over several miles, would that be more beneficial?

Or maybe a minute of sprint followed by a minute of rest X5 or more?

Looking to get the most out of my sprinting!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    more beneficial in what way?

if you want to get faster, shred fat, engage your fast twitch muscles...just sprint. go flat or on a hill for around 100+ yards, then slowly walk back and go again, repeat for 6-10 dashes.

if you just want a balls-to-the-wall workout, the same workout will work, or tabata is good too. 1/4 mile is kind of a long sprint; that would take some serious fitness to achieve at a true sprint level. i would stick to a shorter distance, and about 1-2 minutes rest in between.

Mostly want effectivness. Speed along with toning (leaning out). I also do LHT, but seeing minimal results in the toning area. I am 37 5' 1" and about 100#.
    Needing to work on the hams and glutes!

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    You can't sprint 400m. You run it. Some folks run it really really fast. Some are probably going as fast as you can sprint. But don't be confused, they are still not sprinting.

If you want to work on hams and glutes, I'd keep sprinting. Tabatas are good, but I'd mix it up with full recovery sometimes. Remember one of the claims to fame of the Tabata method is that they improved VO2max (a measure of aerobic capacity) while also improving anaerobic (strength, sprinting) performace. Essentially by exactly *not* allowing complete recovery between.

Just remember your sprints are to be all-out, as fast as you can go. I think that tends to be a problem with many people and Tabata sprints. Since they are not getting full recovery they start to go easier on the work interval. I personally think Tabata is something most folks need to work up to.

If you are doing your sprints on a track, I'm mix your workouts up. A workout may be spriting one straightaway of the track then jogging back to the start point, repeated 4 to 8 times. Or sprint each of the straighaways and walking the turns.

Hill and stair sprints are also good for hams and glutes.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    At that weight you'd be better off persevering with a good, progressive LHT programme. Are you actually trying to lose weight?

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msfish View Post
    Mostly want effectivness. Speed along with toning (leaning out). I also do LHT, but seeing minimal results in the toning area. I am 37 5' 1" and about 100#.
    Needing to work on the hams and glutes!
    Do more heavy squats. If you can do more than 6-8 reps for 3 sets, weight is too light.
    Make sure your form is correct, however, with adequate stretching before you start.

If you don't want to do the formal lifting w/ barbell and rack, another option:
    I really like "goblet squats" which is where you hold a heavy dumbell (or other 30-60 pound item) in front of your chest with two hands like a goblet and squat.

These really work for toning--

Not trying to lose weight. I want to tone up and lose inches around hams and glute. I do LHT about 3x per week. It is not formal and I try to complete the 5x5 that is recommended (overhead press, squats, deadlift, lunges, and bentover lat raise).

If I add more weight on the squat (at 55# plus bar) I will not be able to get it off the bar without a Smith? Doing all at home. Any recommendations?

Doing the Goblet squat...how many do you do and how many times?

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Usually 3 rounds 8-10. I try to get it heavy enough so that I can only manage about 8 on the last one.
    You will be sore, fair warning :-)

Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    Usually 3 rounds 8-10. I try to get it heavy enough so that I can only manage about 8 on the last one.
    You will be sore, fair warning :-)
    Gonna try this......thanks.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    weights are weights, sprints are sprints

IMO hill sprints are the most brutal (e.g. by hill I mean a good steep hill that you wouldn't drive a car up, like a ski hill in the summer)
    Run all out until your legs go
    Walk back down
    Repeat for 20 min or until you barf =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast