Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question asked that I cant seem to answer.....why are grains bad for you? page

DMCFitness is offline Junior Member

Question asked that I cant seem to answer.....why are grains bad for you?

Primal Fuel
    I got this question today and I dont really know what to say regarding the science behind it, drawing a blank.
    My studies all talked about how you need them, ugh!

HELP!
    SW - 201
    CW - 132
    GW - 119

Body fat goal of 10%

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    What question?
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    dear god, search. all you got to do is type 'grains'
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month

{ Don't forget to add MyFitnessPal nutrient summary image to journal on sundays }

DMCFitness is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, sorry I didnt think of that! Duh....
    SW - 201
    CW - 132
    GW - 119

Body fat goal of 10%

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Grains are not unhealthy.

A study on IP6, aka phytic acid...

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCFitness View Post
    What, then why are you primal?
    He's not, he's one of our resident trolls.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    dear god, search. all you got to do is type 'grains'
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
    Lets take a look at the studies linked in that article...

First one is from 1973

Insulin-Like Activity of Concanavalin A and Wheat Germ Agglutinin

It talks about how lectins have direct interaction with insulin receptors, without stating that this is harmful in any way. Also, I would like to see a study on this not from 4 decades ago.

JYI.org :: Wheat Chemicals Starve Insect Pests

This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently lectins harm an insect's gut...if I were an insect, this might be relevant.

Do dietary lectins cause disease?

And a quote from the study:

"But if we all eat lectins, why don’t we all get insulin dependent diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, IgA nephropathy, and peptic ulcers? Partly because of biological variation in the glycoconjugates that coat our cells and partly because these are protected behind a fine screen of sialic acid molecules, attached to the glycoprotein tips.10 We should be safe. "

BMC Endocrine Disorders | Full text | Agrarian diet and diseases of affluence - Do evolutionary novel dietary lectins cause leptin resistance?

grains cause leptin resistance? Well the people that wrote this article think they might, but the only study they have done is on pigs and according to them there is no human studies that supports it. How convincing!

There is also some talk about gluten and celiacs...that is like saying peanuts are bad because I know someone that has an allergy to them.

Nondigestible Carbohydrates and Mineral Bioavailability

The abstract:

"Generally, fiber and compounds associated with fiber in cereal products (e.g., phytates) have been
    found to reduce the apparent absorption of minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese) in
    humans, livestock and animal models. The effects of ‘‘soluble’’ forms of fiber (specifically pectins, gums, resistant
    starches, lactulose, oligofructose and inulin) on mineral absorption are more difficult to characterize. The addition
    of these soluble forms of fiber has been found in various studies to add viscosity to the gut contents, promote
    fermentation and the production of volatile fatty acids in the cecum, have a trophic effect on the ceca of animals
    and increase serum enteroglucagon concentrations. Thus it is not surprising that the addition of soluble forms of
    fiber to diets often has been found to improve absorption of minerals.
    This may reflect absorption of electrolytes
    from the large intestine. Future work should address the mechanisms by which ingestion of nondigestible
    carbohydrates improves mineral absorption in human"

Foods high in soluble fiber include oat bran, oatmeal, beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, strawberries and apple pulp.

Hmmm, some of those are grains.

Anyway, Mark's little article on why grains are bad for you should only fool the most naive of readers.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    I have another question: why are the older forms of wheat like biblical emmer wheat less toxic, while modern dwarf hybrid wheat is so addictive and fattening and sickening? Wheat Belly listed a few chemicals, but I couldn't quite get why the new wheat had the addictive substances but the old wheat did not.

And consequently, if some enterprising farmer decided to grow and sell only emmer wheat, could paleo/primals eat it as an occasional wheat treat without causing too much damage?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    He's not, he's one of our resident trolls.
    He's not a troll. He has actual arguments and a different point of view.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    He's not a troll. He has actual arguments and a different point of view.
    I find that he baits people and makes fun of folks who talk about primal. Sure, he's got some links and some arguments, but I'd categorize him as a concern troll.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast