Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Carbs page

driftwood is offline Senior Member

Adding Carbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In my previous posts it's been mentioned a few times which has left me somewhat unsure about adding Carbs on workout days. I currently do 50-100 carbs. Am trying to eat lots more calories since apparently I eat very little.

It's also been suggested to do high carbs on days that I work out and low fat, then alternate. Or just add some rice/potatoes on work out days so you can see I am getting a little confused...

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Are you hitting your goals?

The simplest way to add in carbs is to include them in whatever form in your first meal PWO. Start there and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Are you hitting your goals?

Not sure I understand specifically what you mean?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    How is your athletic performance? You will probably have to experiment a bit to find the right balance for you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It means, if you are trying to get stronger, is that working? If trying to lose fat, is that working? Around here we assume people have well-defined health goals they are working toward. Most people in the world just have vague ideas like "tone up" or "lose some flab" and they peter out after a few healthy weeks or months. The consistent theme among people who succeed at hard things, from Subway Jared to Michael Phelps, is clear goals and a consistent approach.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    How is your athletic performance? You will probably have to experiment a bit to find the right balance for you.
    off and on - I try and work out in the mornings (so it's a priority) but am finding my strength not all there...

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    It means, if you are trying to get stronger, is that working? If trying to lose fat, is that working? Around here we assume people have well-defined health goals they are working toward. Most people in the world just have vague ideas like "tone up" or "lose some flab" and they peter out after a few healthy weeks or months. The consistent theme among people who succeed at hard things, from Subway Jared to Michael Phelps, is clear goals and a consistent approach.
    Ok yes my goals are strength training and bulking up - more defined and gaining some muscle. strength train 3 times a week where I do Push/Pull/Core using gymnastic rings and other body weight workouts. Overall it's no longer than 20mins. I am seeing results so far and have lost weight as everyone sees me has mentioned. But the more I get into it the more "details" are unclear hence these posts. For example in my bulking up post, adding carbs was mentioned so now am trying to figure that out correctly.

I had cut out carbs and kept them between 50-100.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I found adding carbs on workout days helped me with feeling like I wasn't there strength/performance wise. You might consider upping the carb intake on those days (using primal carbs). Some people also drop their fat intake on those days, but I haven't particularly worried about it. My fave pre-workout breakfast is my pumpkin and coconut milk custard, which has a good load of fat and carb. I tend to eat about an hour and a half before my workouts because I get pukey if I have lots of undigested food in my stomach, and digestibility is one of the key elements for me in a pre-workout meal.

I know some people hit the gym fasted, but I totally run out of energy if I try that. However, I do CF, so your mileage may vary.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I found adding carbs on workout days helped me with feeling like I wasn't there strength/performance wise. You might consider upping the carb intake on those days (using primal carbs). Some people also drop their fat intake on those days, but I haven't particularly worried about it. My fave pre-workout breakfast is my pumpkin and coconut milk custard, which has a good load of fat and carb. I tend to eat about an hour and a half before my workouts because I get pukey if I have lots of undigested food in my stomach, and digestibility is one of the key elements for me in a pre-workout meal.

I know some people hit the gym fasted, but I totally run out of energy if I try that. However, I do CF, so your mileage may vary.
    Cool thanks! I think my main issue is I am always frikking tired in the mornings so it's hard but is the only way I know for sure I will work out!

The work out itself is very short but very intense doing 3x3 work sets at 80% ability.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I was reluctant to dial up the carbs on heavy days since I was seeing great results on about 50g a day. I doubled my carb intake on lifting days, and continued to make progress and felt way less run down through out the week.

I don't know what I'm going to do in April when the Cuties are out of season :/

edit: Tired before the gym you say??? Might I recommend some bulletproof coffee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast