Thread: Anybody try O.N.E. coconut water? page

CrossFix Guest

Shop Now

It is supposedly made from only coconut water. I am thinking this should be paleo/primal. Seeing that it was Mardi Gras I had one too many glasses of red wine. I woke up feeling a little dehydrated and saw one of these O.N.E.s at whole foods. They're not bad and supposedly have a good amount of electrolytes. Actually helped with the pseudo hangover

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

In it's narrowest, coconut water is not primal/paleo. No evidence that our ancestors were eating coconuts.

Coconut water is the very high carb liquid in immature coconuts. Certainly better for you than man made drinks, but if you are on carb restriction, not so good.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

i like it. It's definitely a "real food" even if your definition of primal or paleo doesn't include it...

Tasty stuff though.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

gini is offline Senior Member

What OTB said. That said, I do drink coconut water when I do a three hour hot yoga session. It's a quicker way to rehydrate when you've just sweated for 3 hours straight.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Apparently, coconut water is a favorite among musicisans for energy and hydration during performances. Just a fun fact from my SO, who is in the business on the management side.

I tried the stuff. Didn't care for it -- tasted kinda mildewy/spoiled to me.

And, as OTB says, it's pretty high carb and low fat. I'd rather drink coconut milk instead.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

misathemeb is offline Member

give me the coco MILK! cocowater=hummingbird juice. so sugary!

maba is offline Senior Member

I've tried quite a few brands of coconut water and nothing comes close to coconut water straight out of a tender coconut, it's total bliss. That said, coconut water in a box is a good alternative to many commercially available drinks.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Coconut water was my standard post-run beverage before discovering the PB. It's excellent for hydration. Unfortunately, as OnTheBayou mentioned, it's also high in sugar.

Instead of coconut water, I now hydrate with the (similarly expensive) Essential Greens juice from Trader Joe's. Very low-carb, still packed with electrolytes, and loaded with green-veggie vitamins. Refreshment without the insulin spike!

CrossFix Guest

hmm.. thanks everyone!

Good to know. I always assumed since I used coconut oil to cook with the coconut water came from the same thing and passes the primal test.

I just love the taste of coconut too much. I'll look into getting some coconut milk. That sounds yummy.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Having thoroughly dissed the water, I want to state that I think it is fine and a lot better than many alternatives as a post hard work drink. Whether one can deal with the sugars and carbs I'll leave up to the individual.

While I no longer drink milk, I see that it is also an excellent post hard work drink and is at least as good as many expensive proprietary drinks. So, for instance, I'd drink milk on those rare occasions again for that purpose.

Coconut milk is NOT the same as the water! There's a reason, or several, why the water is a good recuperative drink and the milk has none of those ingredients. Drinking CM would be no more helpful than drinking a spoonful of CO or OO.