Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 87

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That's what I do and it works pretty well.
    I think the problem is that for a lot of women, it takes a lot of restriction to get to the 20% and below body fat that is so beloved. So no, actually most women can't get the body they want eating treats even once or twice a week. I mean, I maintain doing CrossFit 5x a week and eating 1800-2200 calories a day. While I agree with her advice, and even follow it, following it has not made me look like her. It's made me super healthy and I look decent clothes. But it has not pushed my body fat low enough to look like that.

The average woman in the US is 5'4 and about 155lbs. BMI around 25. The biggest issue, outside of people being very overweight and really needing a diet overhaul, are women of average and healthy weights trying to get down to weights that aren't exactly healthy or conducive to reproduction and assuming it can be accomplished in a simple healthy manner.

So, no for me to get to 18% or 20% body fat is not going to include ice cream, nutella or any type of "treat".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well if you ever need all the pro sugar arguments from the pop-bodybuilder sect you got it right there

They didn't list adrenal fatigue as one of the common things sugar is maligned for. I find that interesting. It's usually top of the list.
    That's funny because sugar supports the thyroid better than fat. In fact, it's unsaturated fats that crush your thyroid function. And since adrenal fatigue is typically misdiagnosed and it is actually an underlying thyroid condition, I find your statement completely counterintuitive.

Have Adrenal Fatigue? No You Don't.

Adrenals have been cut out and they grow back. What adrenal fatigue? Another scapegoat. Sugar is notorious for promoting healthy thyroid/adrenal function. Fat is notorious for slowing it.

Everyone has a rare condition these days stopping their progress. It's amazing how 2/3 of the population have self-diagnosed rare disorders.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    So no, actually most women can't get the body they want eating treats even once or twice a week.
    Once or twice a week - no. Daily is more plausible. My theory is that the longer a gal goes without a treat, the more she's gonna eat once she finally feels she 'deserves' one.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    ChocoTaco, I just read your post that started this thread.. ah well your rant... year like said before you are confusing me like hell but I do agree with you that Grok surely didn't know what he was eating only that it wasn't killing him and that he got food in his stomach...

I wonder as you are a regular here, do you eat just general healthy unprocessed foods? or do you eat grains as well? Just curious about what you eat when you have such an outspoken opinion that it not completely inline with what Mark says in his book.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Once or twice a week - no. Daily is more plausible. My theory is that the longer a gal goes without a treat, the more she's gonna eat once she finally feels she 'deserves' one.
    So you think women can eat nutella daily on top of the needed nutrition and look like the lady in that blog? Most women who look like the women on that blog are eating chicken breast and steamed broccoli 3 times a day.

I mean, the whole restrict and splurge aside....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    So you think women can eat nutella daily on top of the needed nutrition and look like the lady in that blog? Most women who look like the women on that blog are eating chicken breast and steamed broccoli 3 times a day.

I mean, the whole restrict and splurge aside....
    I think it depends on the woman. I worked with a very thin woman who was a self-professed chocoholic. She ate one hersey special dark minature a day (yes, shitty chocolate I know). Her reasoning was that it fulfilled the craving. If she denied herself then one day she would sit down and etc 10 times that much.

A teaspoon of nutella a day is probably better than a jar a week in a binge.

edit: I should add that this does not work for me. I tried it with ice cream. I am not capable of eating 1/4 cup daily (or whatever restricted amount). So I plan and once a month eat a pint or so because that is what works for me (because 1/4 a day would become a pint a day or whatever denomination was in the house).
    Last edited by canio6; 10-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am thinking along the lines of what canio said, and well, also, yes, replacing some of the 'nutritionally-dense' food with a treat calorically. A couple squares of chocolate instead of a side or lean protein instead of full-fat meat. And some nutritionally dense food is a treat too, like fruit. I'd rather nibble on fruit and nuts in the evening instead of a full dinner. Heck, back Before Avoiding Wheat I would make an apple crumble from our apple tree instead of supper for the entire family.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-02-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That's funny because sugar supports the thyroid better than fat. In fact, it's unsaturated fats that crush your thyroid function. And since adrenal fatigue is typically misdiagnosed and it is actually an underlying thyroid condition, I find your statement completely counterintuitive.

Have Adrenal Fatigue? No You Don't.

Adrenals have been cut out and they grow back. What adrenal fatigue? Another scapegoat. Sugar is notorious for promoting healthy thyroid/adrenal function. Fat is notorious for slowing it.

Everyone has a rare condition these days stopping their progress. It's amazing how 2/3 of the population have self-diagnosed rare disorders.

I wouldn't call adrenal fatigue a rare condition given our societies predisposition for chronic stress that tends to lead to such things. I will agree that self diagnosis without sufficient testing isn't the best way of going about knowing what is actually going on though. However, I don't think that "Moar thyroid" is the panacea to every single ailment that is plaguing mankind. And I'm also quite certain that most people with adrenal fatigue are already getting far more than their fair share of sugar. They don't need more of it. Really it's just not that simple. There is no panacea, and the further you move from health the more nuanced the recommendations for your return to it may need to be. I don't think that holds for the majority, but it certainly does for the very ill. Its in those cases that recs should only be made based on extensive health history, exam, and lab testing.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Egh, I feel your content is misaligned Choco. I feel it would be better to address why sugar/carbs aren't intrinsically bad, than making grander claims about fat and overall health.

The carbs/sugar hate on here is quite tiring and I bang my head every time I see a newbie asking "I'm low carb, why amen't I losing weight?" or "Sugar is bad because its nutritionally empty, BTW STUFF YOUR FACE WITH FAT! ". Its completely stupid and dogmatic and reeks of cults like veganism or fruitarians.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 10-02-2013 at 08:05 PM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the problem is that for a lot of women, it takes a lot of restriction to get to the 20% and below body fat that is so beloved. So no, actually most women can't get the body they want eating treats even once or twice a week. I mean, I maintain doing CrossFit 5x a week and eating 1800-2200 calories a day. While I agree with her advice, and even follow it, following it has not made me look like her. It's made me super healthy and I look decent clothes. But it has not pushed my body fat low enough to look like that.
    I disagree with you - sort of. Simply because you made a blanket statement. I think the reason why it's "harder" for women is because we are brainwashed every day into what time to eat and how big of a plate we are supposed to make. If you and I went out to lunch and ordered the same thing on a restaurant menu, they would give us the same portion even though my maintenance calories are probably 500 a day higher than yours. In the one-size-fits-all world we live in, women are at a disadvantage because they're eating "man-sized" meals without the accelerated metabolic rate. I think you absolutely can eat the desserts you want to eat, but you need to stop viewing the portion sizes through a man's eyes. The slice of cake you're used to cutting isn't appropriate for you. Do you know what I mean?

It's tough because when I first started cooking for my girlfriend after we'd work out, I'd make us up both a plate of food and she'd look ill halfway through it. Meanwhile, I'd be reaching on her plate like "Are you gonna finish that?" I had to learn that after a workout a plate for her is about 1/3 the size of mine, even though I am only half an inch taller than her and weigh about 7 lbs more. Oh, and I'm 3 years older. But that doesn't change the fact I probably need about 800 calories a day more than her to function at my level.

The average woman in the US is 5'4 and about 155lbs. BMI around 25. The biggest issue, outside of people being very overweight and really needing a diet overhaul, are women of average and healthy weights trying to get down to weights that aren't exactly healthy or conducive to reproduction and assuming it can be accomplished in a simple healthy manner.
    This I agree with. Women don't know how to diet and exercise. When a man decides he wants to start dieting and exercise, some bro will tell him to start taking protein shakes, eating eggs, steak, cottage cheese and start lifting weights. Honestly, it isn't that bad of advice. It'll definitely make some progress, which is probably why it's relatively easy for a man to see gains at the gym. The CW mentality for a man's general exercise plan isn't terrible. For a woman, it's jog endlessly on a treadmill, don't lift a weight more than 3 lbs but do it 400 times in a sitting, then go vegan. WTF? It's the worst advice EVER. I don't think a woman is at a disadvantage due to gender. I think they are given really awful advice. I would tell a woman to start eating as much steak, eggs and potatoes and she can, then bolt a 7' bar to the floor and pick up the fucking room. Then throw it on her back and squat it. All I want for Christmas is a girl with a 225 lb deadlift. That's the advice I'd give. I see NO FEMALE in the gym doing that, and I'm up to 3 separate gym memberships thus far.

So, no for me to get to 18% or 20% body fat is not going to include ice cream, nutella or any type of "treat".
    18-20% body fat is cutting down to Victoria's Secret model level of body fat, and I know you're not dumb enough to go on the egg white and oatmeal diet from now until Victoria's Secret decides you're too old to be an Angel, at which point you'll spiral into an endless Ben & Jerry's ice cream binge. There's no reason to be 18-20% bodyfat as a female unless it's your job, mags. I think most women look perfectly hot in the ~22-24% range and that's much more easily maintained. Healthfully. And it allows you a little more leeway. Also, what fun is a girl that looks good in a bikini but her libido is too tanked from not eating enough? It's like having a really nice car you're not allowed to drive. I'd rather have a Corvette I can play with every day than a Ferrari I'm not allowed to sit in.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-02-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast