Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 86

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I wonder if anyone else experiences a certain side-effect of eating a lot of sugar. Invariably the next morning my eyelids will be super heavy. I won't be groggy, exactly. On a normal day my eyes pretty much pop right open.
    Wow, and I thought what I was experience was due to lack of sleep (though I think this still plays a minor role)
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I reckon I get puffy bags under my eyes when I eat sugar. As eyes and the surrounding skin are very delicate it doesn't surprise me that they are so sensitive.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

ss14 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I wonder if anyone else experiences a certain side-effect of eating a lot of sugar. Invariably the next morning my eyelids will be super heavy. I won't be groggy, exactly. On a normal day my eyes pretty much pop right open.
    Doesn't carry over to the next day, but yes, my eyelids get heavy and feel sort of "sandy" underneath. I will also sometimes get restless legs, particularly if I've been also sleeping poorly or at odd times.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I rarely eat sugar, and if I have a great deal of sugar at one meal (birthday cake/ice cream kind of thing), I don't get 'restless legs'; I get horrendous Charley horses that often have me in tears--in the large muscles in my legs and even in my feet. I wish I could remember this whenever I'm tempted by sugar, but eating a lot of sugar is so rare for me that I forget about the cramping.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    sugar makes me feel gross, BUT my paleo carbs keep me going. my side effects are mostly mental (depression, anxiety, paranoia, etc.), but i do feel all hungover too. last time i ate ice cream i was quickly reminded why i avoid it. yuck.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I rarely eat sugar, and if I have a great deal of sugar at one meal (birthday cake/ice cream kind of thing), I don't get 'restless legs'; I get horrendous Charley horses that often have me in tears--in the large muscles in my legs and even in my feet. I wish I could remember this whenever I'm tempted by sugar, but eating a lot of sugar is so rare for me that I forget about the cramping.
    What form is the "sugar" coming in? If I eat good quality ice cream with sugar, I feel fine. Sometimes even great. If I eat cake made with wheat flour and sugar with icing, I feel shitty and the next day there's a noticeable bad impact in digestion. The past few workouts, I've abandoned my typical "turkey burgers and sweet potato fries" for coconut flour pancakes with honey or maple syrup and a whole pound of strawberries. Despite the fact I'm taking in far more sucrose and fructose with the pancake refeed, I feel just as great as when I eat sweet potatoes. I can tell you now, a wheat flour cake refeed would not have this effect given the same sugar content and I am not gluten intolerant. I believe white sugar to be relatively "clean" and if you're reacting poorly to it, you're simply eating more than your body can handle in a sitting or you're combining it with something nasty (like wheat flour, vegetable oils, corn syrup, etc).
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I know this is an old thread, but Joy Victoria's post recently really made some sense. It's a good read regardless of which side you fall on.

Your Problem With Sugar is THE Problem With Sugar

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I actually read that last night. I saw it posted somewhere. A little wordy but the point is sound - sugar is a scapegoat. People have to deal with their own unhealthy relationship with food, and sugar is just a common ingredient in foods people tend to binge on. Often, foods listed as "sugary" are just as high in fat - ice cream, cookies, doughnuts, brownies, cake, etc. And somehow potato chips and Doritos get listed as "carbs." Seems to me like there's just as many fat calories in all these foods, people. Blaming "fat" for your food binges would be just as silly as blaming "carbs" or "sugar."

People need to deal with their issues instead of blaming things to avoid personal responsibility. This is why I hate restrictive diet. If you avoid a scapegoat - fat, carbs, sugar, dessert, whatever - you deprive yourself mentally, and people often break down when they feel deprived of something. Take away a toy from a child that they aren't playing with and they invariably want to play with that toy. The same thing goes with human beings and food. Instead of restricting "carbs," shift the type of carbs you eat. Less grain and refined sugar, more fruits and starches. Instead of removing "desserts" from your diet, shift the types of desserts you eat. Less cookies, cake and doughnuts, more homemade ice cream, cheesecake and chocolate since you can make these things relatively healthy at home. And learn how to time your meals. Want to have a nice dessert and a big meal? Eat it after workouts so they're less likely to be stored as fat. It's easy to go a day or two without a treat if you know a big workout and a big meal is right around the corner.

That's what I do and it works pretty well.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    These kind of articles make me mad. They have that 'know it all' tone of a person who succeeded where you have failed while doing exactly same right and good things.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but Joy Victoria's post recently really made some sense. It's a good read regardless of which side you fall on.

Your Problem With Sugar is THE Problem With Sugar
    Well if you ever need all the pro sugar arguments from the pop-bodybuilder sect you got it right there

They didn't list adrenal fatigue as one of the common things sugar is maligned for. I find that interesting. It's usually top of the list.

Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast