Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 85

ss14 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I tolerate carbs better since I drastically cut carb intake, not worse. I didn't feel euphoric when I cut the carbs, just normal for the first time since I was a little kid. Interesting how people differ.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    can't do potatoes like i once thought. they mess my gut up somethin' fierce. can't really understand why the paleo crowd is all about those bad boys these days. i don't mind the carb content i just see them as super toxic. sweet potatoes and lots of carrots, beets, and rutabagas. fruits are now my friend and don't mess w my belly.
    I think it really depends on your sensitivities. I can handle potatoes fine and feel quite happy when I eat them, but my brother has problems with all nightshades, so he doesn't touch them. I usually peel mine to be safe, though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    I tolerate carbs better since I drastically cut carb intake, not worse. I didn't feel euphoric when I cut the carbs, just normal for the first time since I was a little kid. Interesting how people differ.
    yes, but how long have you been lower carb??? my blood sugar was amazing when i first started. could go almost all day without a meal and i still felt awesome. didn't last forever. i'm REALLY not trying to bust anyones bubble. just listen to your bod for any warning signs.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think it really depends on your sensitivities. I can handle potatoes fine and feel quite happy when I eat them, but my brother has problems with all nightshades, so he doesn't touch them. I usually peel mine to be safe, though.
    right on. i'd love to eat me some taterz. maybe my gut isn't ready for the concentrated starch after vlc. who knows. for now i'll stick w juicy fruits and sweet taterz. enjoy some for this irish girl
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    can't do potatoes like i once thought. they mess my gut up somethin' fierce. can't really understand why the paleo crowd is all about those bad boys these days. i don't mind the carb content i just see them as super toxic. sweet potatoes and lots of carrots, beets, and rutabagas. fruits are now my friend and don't mess w my belly.
    I don't have a problem with potatoes as long as I peel them. Eating them day after day with the peeling starts to irritate my gut.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if anyone else experiences a certain side-effect of eating a lot of sugar. Invariably the next morning my eyelids will be super heavy. I won't be groggy, exactly. On a normal day my eyes pretty much pop right open.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I wonder if anyone else experiences a certain side-effect of eating a lot of sugar. Invariably the next morning my eyelids will be super heavy. I won't be groggy, exactly. On a normal day my eyes pretty much pop right open.
    100% for sure sugar causes inflammation in me. I have been eating more fruit this summer and noticing more aches and pains. I ate a couple sugary desserts a few weeks ago and bloated like a balloon. Laid off all sugar, even fruit a few weeks--all went away. Tried an experiment, ate a Hershey's milk chocolate bar, 44g sugar, and some really sweet pineapple, probably 100g of sugar in a day...aches and pains in joints returned with a vengeance, puffy eyes, puffy belly. Been sugar free for 5 days now--all normal. It's the sugar.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that sucks. I notice it in my eyes only :/
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    100% for sure sugar causes inflammation in me. I have been eating more fruit this summer and noticing more aches and pains. I ate a couple sugary desserts a few weeks ago and bloated like a balloon. Laid off all sugar, even fruit a few weeks--all went away. Tried an experiment, ate a Hershey's milk chocolate bar, 44g sugar, and some really sweet pineapple, probably 100g of sugar in a day...aches and pains in joints returned with a vengeance, puffy eyes, puffy belly. Been sugar free for 5 days now--all normal. It's the sugar.
    At least you know. Good bit of N=1 is never a bad idea.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suspect that the body often down-regulates production of fructose transporters in the gut on a low sugar/low fruit diet, which induces fructose malabsorption. I've tried re-introducing a bit of fruit, mostly bananas and that may be one factor that has made my guts bloat. I'm having better results from reintroducing potatoes, as glucose and starch don't give me any problems. Some fruit about once in a week is no problem but eating it every day in addition to sweet potatoes most days which have moderate amounts of fructose is not good for me.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast