Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 84

Alice is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Thanks Alice, great stuff! It is definitely interesting to see how much rice and potato intake each class was consuming...

Even the lower-end of the spectrum consumers were eating ~1000-2000kCal of CHOs (and that doesn't take into account any other CHO sources such as seaweed, etc)...

Wow, that "farmers" statistic is astronomical. I understand they were doing some serious labor but that's ~20k kCals/day in potatoes...wow!
    Sweet potato, 2700-4800 g is 4.5 to 8 servings according to the article. I'm not sure how you got those enormous numbers for kcal a day. The nutrition data website lists a "sweet potato" as having 180 kcal per 200g. And this is for generic sweet potato, which is likely more starchy than the Okinawan sweet potato.

The article also lists calorie totals:
    A 2395 kcal/day
    B 2868 kcal/day
    C 3650 kcal/day
    Last edited by Alice; 05-24-2012 at 10:13 AM.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Sweet potato, 2700-4800 g is 4.5 to 8 servings according to the article. I'm not sure how you got those enormous numbers for kcal a day. The nutrition data website lists a "sweet potato" as having 180 kcal per 200g. And this is for generic sweet potato, which is likely more starchy than the Okinawan sweet potato.

The article also lists calorie totals:
    A 2395 kcal/day
    B 2868 kcal/day
    C 3650 kcal/day
    That's what happens when you are doing multiple tasks at once, LOL. Thanks for the correction...

Gooner4eva49 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Your first act on these forums was to rejuvenate this thread?

I vote ban.

Just kidding, and welcome.
    Ha ha thx mate. This thread has esculated but worth it

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Yeah Choco just have to chime in & say sure, I could be wrong about this. I did get through the winter on a lot of no carb/high fat days cycled with higher carb days, not sure what I will do next fall/winter, haven't totally decided- probably the same. Yeah, PUFAs are the cause.

Found this interesting video

shannon is offline Senior Member
    yo. haven't been here in awhile BUT i gotta say that i now agree w the op. low carb will funk you up. never would have believed this when i first started my primal journey, but my carbohydrate tolerance got worse and worse and...WORSE! couldn't even tolerate freakin' berries about 7 mos. into vlc. garbage. adding fruit and sweet taterz REALLY helped w insulin sensitivity and all that jazz. please don't fall for it. vlc feels so awesome at first. almost euphoric. it WILL crash and you will feel the effects of screwed up adrenaline and cortisol. i really wish someone would have told me i'd regret ever going that low in carbs. carbs aren't the problem (not sayin' i'm all about grains and table sugar). fruits and tubers just saved my ass. i had to comment on this thread because i'm sure lots of y'all are getting awesome results from cutting out most carbs. it's a trick. you're using up your biochemicals and you will feel it eventually if you don't build 'em back up. pufa, grains (for me), table sugar, processed shit obviously isn't the way to go, but cutting out each and every bit of natural carb is stupid and dangerous. you NEED carbs. that's it. you NEED 'em. don't fall for that crap that ya don't. living off of fat stresses the body out more and more the longer ya do it. we all thought that cutting out fat was idiotic. so is cutting out another necessary macronutrient. gosh. i speak from 2 yrs. or so of experience. keep some carbs. i didn't really read much of this thread so i hope i'm not repeating anyone. think for yourselves and if low carb is feeling worse instead of better THEN STOP! my heart almost gave out on me and that's the last time i gave a shit about anyone's view on carbs. work on your metabolism and improving your glucose control. DON'T remove the carbs. feel free to message me about my experience. i'm sure there's been long time EX low carbers coming out lately. this is nothing to mess around with. sorry for the rant, i just wanted to speak my mind on the subject. still primal. still eating clean, organic, grass-fed foods. just w added fruits and tubers. peace.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Which tubers are you finding to be safe and not giving you any digestive issues?

lala is offline Junior Member
    Hi. I am new to this site, interested in changing diet to Paleo. Shannon I am curious how many carbs do you eat now and how much were you eating before? I read in your post that your heart was affected, that's scary.

Eric5105 is offline Member
    Regular heavy lifting (especially squatting), Crossfit, Intermittent fasting, and having higher carb/lower fat days has completely rejuvenated me. I used to be so lethargic after eating any carbs on LC, but I can now down two cups of white rice and berries and feel fantastic afterwards. I've been doing this since January and have gained about 12-14lbs, which I'm assuming is essentially all muscle considering that my lifts have skyrocketed (still wearing the same 30in waist pants too). Some of it is probably also water weight since I'm no longer dehydrated (stop worrying about water weight!).

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Which tubers are you finding to be safe and not giving you any digestive issues?
    can't do potatoes like i once thought. they mess my gut up somethin' fierce. can't really understand why the paleo crowd is all about those bad boys these days. i don't mind the carb content i just see them as super toxic. sweet potatoes and lots of carrots, beets, and rutabagas. fruits are now my friend and don't mess w my belly.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Hi. I am new to this site, interested in changing diet to Paleo. Shannon I am curious how many carbs do you eat now and how much were you eating before? I read in your post that your heart was affected, that's scary.
    it IS scary!! the worst part was that my lil girls were eating the same way. right now i'm eating about 150g give or take a few. i was down to about 20 or less a day when i had problems. i still eat lots of mct's (coconut oil), but i keep my carbs up. best of both worlds. i had a hell of a time upping the carbs from keto though. gained some weight (water) and had some blood sugar swings. everything balanced out and i'm feeling much better.

Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast