Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 83

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    The reality is that very few people can honestly say they know exactly how many calories they need each day. If you're healthy and active you NEED more carbs than the sedentary Big Momma/Daddy Whomp Whomp's that think that a gram of sugar is the devil.
    Holy crap, yes!

There is no one Number Above All Others that is how many calories you will burn. It varies from day to day depending on a thousand different things including (but not limited to) what you ate, your hormone levels, how much sleep you got, how active you were, what kind of activity you did, how your mood was, what meds you took, how much alcohol you drank, whether you had a headache or not, your current weight, your current bodyfat % and if your SO pissed you off or was in a good mood.

Seriously, it's incredibly variable. You can maybe average it out over the course of a month by trial and error, but it's definitely not something you can nail down.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Gooner4eva49 is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations to me. I have read every single post from the very begining and am priviliged to all the information I have gathered.

A lot of credit has to go to ChocoTaco sharing his knowledge with us and the whole shabang!
    Also first ever post on MDA been following for nearly a year and very priviliged.

Alice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Doubtful, Okinawans eat nearly two pounds a day on average. It should only be considered overeating if it causes you to exceed your TDEE.
    Do you mean the Japanese? The Japanese eat a great quantity of rice, and this does not sound inaccurate if applied to the traditional Japanese diet. However, for the traditional Okinawan diet, I am quite certain this is incorrect, unless it is data from a village that does not quite follow the traditional diet, a very wealthy prefecture, or information to reflect more modern diets, which does not reflect the traditional diet. I am half Okinawan and my family is from Okinawa. The main starch was a certain type of very dark purple sweet potato. Often a cup of rice would be added to a large soup, but the rice was always a minimal part of the diet. I am not making any statement as to whether rice is healthy or unhealthy, just clarifying something here about the traditional diet.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner4eva49 View Post
    Congratulations to me. I have read every single post from the very begining and am priviliged to all the information I have gathered.

Also first ever post on MDA been following for nearly a year and very priviliged.
    Your first act on these forums was to rejuvenate this thread?

I vote ban.

Just kidding, and welcome.

Tom93084 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It is very, very easy for your body to let go of fat when you're carrying a lot of extra weight. Your body doesn't want to get rid of it. The reason why CICO failed before was because you were surely eating the wrong types of food - low nutrient processed foods that promote little satiety. Basically, you were starving on a hunger level and starving on a nutritive level. No wonder it "didn't work." The fact is, if you lost weight, you were taking in a deficit and you didn't even know it. When you eat real food, your hunger reflects your current natural homeostasis - you were eating maintenance calories for a guy that weighed 30 pounds less, it was just effortless because you were eating real, nutritious foods that promoted satiety. CICO still worked, you just had no idea you were doing it.

And THAT'S why the Primal Blueprint works - it's sustainable.

I'm not responding to his quote, but I have a question for you choco. What is your opinion of the aging effect gluecose has on our bodies?
    What Does Excess Glucose in the Bloodstream Do? | Wellness Hammock

I was going to quote Primal Mind Primal Body, but couldn't copy from my kindle. This site says the same. Would you not agree that sugar is a problem because of this?

Also, that excessive need to gain weight/ put muscle is against our evolutionary biology itself and purely for vanity reasons. Shouldn't we all strive to limit carbs? I'm not saying not eat veggies, because you can't really overeat fiberous veggies.
    Last edited by Tom93084; 05-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    key word: excess

excess anything is not good.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Do you mean the Japanese? The Japanese eat a great quantity of rice, and this does not sound inaccurate if applied to the traditional Japanese diet. However, for the traditional Okinawan diet, I am quite certain this is incorrect, unless it is data from a village that does not quite follow the traditional diet, a very wealthy prefecture, or information to reflect more modern diets, which does not reflect the traditional diet. I am half Okinawan and my family is from Okinawa. The main starch was a certain type of very dark purple sweet potato. Often a cup of rice would be added to a large soup, but the rice was always a minimal part of the diet. I am not making any statement as to whether rice is healthy or unhealthy, just clarifying something here about the traditional diet.
    Thank you for the feedback, however it was specifically Okinawans that I was citing although Japanese populations, in general, may also be used as an example as some studies I've read show they they eat even higher rice in their diets than the Okinawans.

The source of the information is from a study by Sho (abstract can be found here).

She states that the white rice intake (of all Okinawan social classes combined) averages ~840g/day which can be compared to 3-4 bowls..

Alice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Thank you for the feedback, however it was specifically Okinawans that I was citing although Japanese populations, in general, may also be used as an example as some studies I've read show they they eat even higher rice in their diets than the Okinawans.

The source of the information is from a study by Sho (abstract can be found here).

She states that the white rice intake (of all Okinawan social classes combined) averages ~840g/day which can be compared to 3-4 bowls..
    Thanks so much for the link to the article. I have full access to the article.

I can't believe it, this is an extremely accurate, comprehensive, and thorough article about the traditional Okinawan diet! With all the "Okinawan diet" misinformation going around it was very refreshing to read this! With that said, I still have to correct you. The article data is from 1919 and gives grams per day intake of both rice and sweet potato for three classes of people in Okinawa: (A) Teachers & Public Officials, (B) Part time farmers and (C) Farmers. My family would have fallen into category C, and I do not doubt category A were upper-class:

A) Teachers/Public officials: Rice 420-840 g, Sweet potato 600-1200 g
    B) Part time farmers: White rice/millet 140-280 g, sweet potato 1800-3600 g
    C) Farmers: Sweet potato 2700-4800 g
    Last edited by Alice; 05-24-2012 at 09:13 AM.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Alice, great stuff! It is definitely interesting to see how much rice and potato intake each class was consuming...

Even the lower-end of the spectrum consumers were eating ~1000-2000kCal of CHOs (and that doesn't take into account any other CHO sources such as seaweed, etc)...

Wow, that "farmers" statistic is astronomical. I understand they were doing some serious labor but that's ~20k kCals/day in potatoes...wow!

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There is less than 1 cal/g in sweet potato. 4000g of sweet potato would be around 3700 calories.

Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast