Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 80

daveforshee is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been reading this thread for about 2 hours. All I can think about now is Ben and Jerry's and sweet potatoes. I'm going to the store.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    As a follow-up to the 2600 calories question, I ran my numbers through a caloric needs calculator and found that as woman at my age, height, weight, and activity level, I should eat 2550 calories daily for maintenance. Looks like I wasn't that far off on my guesstimate since I am maintaining my weight (and continuing to see fat loss).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Wow! I'm amazed at how much other women can eat and lose (or at least not gain weight)! I am nearly 5 '10", active and quite muscular, but have to keep my calories between 1500-2000 to maintain. I can't imagine being that small and being able to eat 2600 calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    Wow! I'm amazed at how much other women can eat and lose (or at least not gain weight)! I am nearly 5 '10", active and quite muscular, but have to keep my calories between 1500-2000 to maintain. I can't imagine being that small and being able to eat 2600 calories a day.
    I'm 5'8" and 158 lbs at about 20% body fat. I wouldn't consider myself tiny! I'm reasonably slim, but not what most people I know would call small.

You should have seen how much I ate a few years ago when I was doing TKD, training for a 10-mile high-altitude mountain run, and ballroom dancing. Eating over 3000 calories per day is kind of fun (and at that point in time, I was tracking and can confirm I ate that much). I used to shock the hell out of waiters.

See, this is my real problem with the whole CI/CO equation. For some people, the amount they can take in is vastly different from what others can eat and not gain fat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    As a follow-up to the 2600 calories question, I ran my numbers through a caloric needs calculator and found that as woman at my age, height, weight, and activity level, I should eat 2550 calories daily for maintenance. Looks like I wasn't that far off on my guesstimate since I am maintaining my weight (and continuing to see fat loss).
    A good thread to read:

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums

There are then a number of other formula which calculate BMR. This means it calculates what you need should you be in a coma.
    1/ Harris-Benedict formula: Very inaccurate. It was derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males MANY YEARS AGO (1919). Notorious for OVERESTIMATING requirements, especially in the overweight. IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T USE IT!

2/Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    If you look, you'll probably find most online calorie calculators use the Harris-Benedict formula. In addition, when it comes time to select your "multiplier" for activity, people typically choose the one above what they actually are. Your calorie estimates from your calculator are likely 20-25% too high, and your 2,600 figure is probably more like 2,100-2,200. Use the Katch-McArdle equation and use the activity multiplier below what you think your activity really is.

Calorie calculators peg me around 2,400 maintenance. I'm really more like 2,100-2,200.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    A good thread to read:

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums

If you look, you'll probably find most online calorie calculators use the Harris-Benedict formula. In addition, when it comes time to select your "multiplier" for activity, people typically choose the one above what they actually are. Your calorie estimates from your calculator are likely 20-25% too high, and your 2,600 figure is probably more like 2,100-2,200. Use the Katch-McArdle equation and use the activity multiplier below what you think your activity really is.

Calorie calculators peg me around 2,400 maintenance. I'm really more like 2,100-2,200.
    By that it puts me at about 2500 to 2700 (the first figure is for moderate exercise 3-5 days per week and is less than I do, the latter for the next step up which is heavy exercise 6 days per week, which is more than I do). So that's only a 50 calorie difference from the 2550 I got with the Harris-Benedict.

Either way, I'm not gaining fat with the way I'm eating, the scale is staying constant, and my body fat is decreasing. I don't actually count, so it's sort of an intellectual exercise anyhow since I seem to be naturally moderating my weight at this point. I suppose I could put my intake into FitDay or something for a few days to be sure.

In case you're curious, I do Crossfit three days a week, I walk with my dog, bike, or do other recreational activity most days, and usually twice a week I'll help out with my partner's moving business on lighter moves or when he's shorthanded (so 3-4 hours of sustained activity moving furniture and boxes 1-2 times a week).

Owly's Journal

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post

I'm 5ft 9in and eat around 2500 to maintain. I have lost weight in the past on 2200 (recorded on fitday). I am unable to lose weight going below 2000 calories (actually I probably would if I dropped to 1000 but I don't think this is sustainable!!). I go to the gym 3x a week but I'm not really that active.

Edited to add: The calculators say my maintenance should be around 2200.

I did actually lose 14lbs when I was eating around 3000 calories a day for 10 days on holiday in China - never did figure out why because I was doing NO exercise.
    Last edited by jo; 05-01-2012 at 10:12 PM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Maintenance is often estimated at being bodyweight in pounds multiplied by 14-16. At your weight, body fat and activity level, 2600 is completely reasonable for maintenance.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Maintenance is often estimated at being bodyweight in pounds multiplied by 14-16. At your weight, body fat and activity level, 2600 is completely reasonable for maintenance.
    Actually, it should be lean body mass, not bodyweight.

samira is offline Member
    It put me at 1560. I don't know my bodyfat% so I did the first one on choco's list.

Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast