Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 75

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    B&J's just started with Greek yogurt flavors.

Something like Raspberry Fudge Chunk would be doable...sort of.

Ingredients: Skim Milk, Greek Yogurt (Cultured Skim Milk, Natural Flavor, Carrageenan), Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Cream, Water, Sugar, Raspberry Puree, Corn Syrup Solids, Coconut Oil, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Egg Yolks, Cocoa Powder, Nonfat Yogurt Powder (Cultured Nonfat Milk), Locust Bean Gum, Butteroil, Soy Lecithin, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Natural Flavors, Elderberry Juice Concentrate (For Color).

It's not the worst thing I've ever seen. They actually use coconut oil, butteroil and egg yolks, which makes me happy. It's a little fattier than I'd like (28g/pint) but manageable. There is 100g of sugar in the whole pint, so it's serious business...
    Thanks - I'm not good with cow's dairy but yoghurt is easier ... so if I can find it, I'll try a pint of the raspberry fudge chunk as a serious test. With a pint of the blueberry vanilla graham on the side.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been off wheat and oats? It often takes 6-12 months being grain-free to really see benefits. If some of your issues are from a high PUFA diet, it can take up to a decade to flush all the excess PUFA out of your system. You have to be Primal for years to really see all the benefits, not months. It takes years to damage your body and create modern disease. It's not fair to think you'll be able to fix decades of issues in mere months, or even a few years.
    Choco do you know where you read about excess pufa staying in the body so long? I'm not challenging I just want to read it. (Plus I don't really know what it means that they get stored). Maybe it will resonate and get to me to stop eating so many god damn nuts.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Thanks - I'm not good with cow's dairy but yoghurt is easier ... so if I can find it, I'll try a pint of the raspberry fudge chunk as a serious test. With a pint of the blueberry vanilla graham on the side.
    Did you notice the first ingredient was skim milk?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Did you notice the first ingredient was skim milk?
    Yes. But it's obviously better than all the diary coming from unfermented cow's milk.

As ever, it's all about context.

And anyway, I'm not anally retentive when it comes to challenging my body now that my gut is healed.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-28-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Choco do you know where you read about excess pufa staying in the body so long? I'm not challenging I just want to read it. (Plus I don't really know what it means that they get stored). Maybe it will resonate and get to me to stop eating so many god damn nuts.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with eating more than the average intake of walnuts. Just make sure you have a well balanced diet, getting everthing you need most of the time, and you will be fine. I don't think we should be nit picking with things like walnuts or even almonds, as the benefits of consuming these nuts far outweight the risks. I soak and sprout raw almonds. I just eat raw walnuts-absolutely fucking delicious.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    You're going to hate this.

Lipids play varied and critical roles in metabolism, with function dramatically modulated by the individual fatty acid moities in complex lipid entities. In particular, the fatty acid composition of membrane lipids greatly influences membrane function. Here we consider the role of dietary fatty acid profile on membrane composition and, in turn, its impact on prevalent disease clusters of the metabolic syndrome and mental illness. Applying the classical physiological conformer-regulator paradigm to quantify the influence of dietary fats on membrane lipid composition (i.e. where the membrane variable is plotted against the same variable in the environment - in this case dietary fats), membrane lipid composition appears as a predominantly regulated parameter. Membranes remain relatively constant in their saturated (SFA) and monounsaturated (MUFA) fatty acid levels over a wide range of dietary variation for these fatty acids. Membrane composition was found to be more responsive to n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) levels in the diet and most sensitive to n-3 PUFA and to the n-3/n-6 ratio. These differential responses are probably due to the fact that both n-6 and n-3 PUFA classes cannot be synthesised de novo by higher animals. Diet-induced modifications in membrane lipid composition are associated with changes in the rates of membrane-linked cellular processes that are major contributors to energy metabolism. For example, in the intrinsic activity of fundamental processes such as the Na+/K+ pump and proton pump-leak cycle. Equally, dietary lipid profile impacts substantially on diseases of the metabolic syndrome with evidence accruing for changes in metabolic rate and neuropeptide regulation (thus influencing both sides of the energy balance equation), in second messenger generation and in gene expression influencing a range of glucose and lipid handling pathways. Finally, there is a growing literature relating changes in dietary fatty acid profile to many aspects of mental health. The understanding of dietary lipid profile and its influence on membrane function in relation to metabolic dysregulation has exciting potential for the prevention and treatment of a range of prevalent disease states.

Dietary fats and membrane function: implications for metabolism and disease - Hulbert - 2007 - Biological Reviews - Wiley Online Library
    So essentially, this sets the groundwork that the cellular membranes - the protective barrier that protects our precious DNA from damage - are made up of predominantly saturated and monounsaturated fat. A small amount is made up of polyunsaturated fat, which stands to reason because if you follow a Primal/Paleo whole foods diet (i.e. a REAL HUMAN DIET), polyunsaturated fat intake would be very low compared to SFA and MUFA intake. Flash forward to the Standard American Diet, which is low in saturated fat and high in polyunsaturated fat, and you will see significant, unnatural restructuring of the cellular membranes. Since polyunsaturated fat is the most unstable, which is evident by how liquid it is even at low temperatures (in the refrigerator), it stands to reason that restructuring your cellular membrane with a high PUFA/low SFA diet would therefore increase cellular membrane fluidity/permeability and provide less protection to your DNA against foreign invaders (free radicals). Imagine a shield made out of iron (high SFA/low PUFA) vs a shield made out of Jello (high PUFA/low SFA). We are all aware that a high PUFA diet is highly inflammatory and leaves us susceptible to free radical damage, but the question is HOW LONG would it take to correct your cellular membranes by dropping PUFA and increasing SFA?

That's the question.

1. Compositional analysis of plasma membranes from rats fed nutritionally adequate diets different in fatty acid composition establishes that fundamentally different dietary fat intake results in alteration in structural lipid composition of plasma membranes in brain, liver and the intestinal mucosa.
    2. Dietary differences in fatty acid intake altered the fatty acyl tail composition of plasma membrane phospholipids in brain, liver and intestinal mucosa.
    3. Diet altered the phospholipid profile observed in brain synaptosomal and liver plasma membrane.
    4. Feeding high vs low polyunsaturated to saturated fat diets for 7 days altered the fatty acid composition of phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylethanolamine, sphingomyelin and mono-glucosylceramide isolated from plasma membrane of the intestinal mucosa

ScienceDirect.com - Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Comparative Biochemistry - Plasma membrane: Can its structure and function be modulated by dietary fat?
    We know that in rats, varying the PUFA/SFA content of their diet affect the cellular membranes. Changes happen immediately. But what about in humans? And how long does it take to fully realize the effects?

Occurrence of hyperplasia (negative morphology value) or hypertrophy (positive morphology value) was independent of sex and body weight but correlated with fasting plasma insulin levels and insulin sensitivity, independent of adipocyte volume (beta-coefficient = 0.3, P < 0.0001). Total adipocyte number and morphology were negatively related (r = -0.66); i.e., the total adipocyte number was greatest in pronounced hyperplasia and smallest in pronounced hypertrophy. The absolute number of new adipocytes generated each year was 70% lower (P < 0.001) in hypertrophy than in hyperplasia, and individual values for adipocyte generation and morphology were strongly related (r = 0.7, P < 0.001). The relative death rate (approximately 10% per year) or mean age of adipocytes (approximately 10 years) was not correlated with morphology.
    Adipocyte turnover: relevance to human adipose tiss... [Diabetes. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    Adipocyte turnover is now thought to occur throughout adult life. Estimates of adipocyte turnover in humans vary greatly, from a low of 10% per year by analyzing the integration of 14C derived from nuclear bomb tests in genomic DNA [7] to a high of greater than 60% per year (0.16–0.29% per day) by 2H2O long-term labeling [8]. In both human and mice, turnover rates are believed to be substantially higher in preadipocytes than adipocytes, 4.5% and 0.16–0.29% per day, respectively for human [8] and 5% and 1–1.5% per day, respectively, for mice [9].
    Rapid Cellular Turnover in Adipose Tissue
    There are two things I take away from this:

1.) Immediate health benefits can be made through alteration of dietary fake intake. Increasing saturated fat at the expense of polyunsaturated fat can strengthen cellular membranes, providing you greater protection against free radical damage. The health benefits of a Primal diet can begin to be realized in as little as a few weeks.

2.) While immediate health benefits can be realized from changing your diet, actual adipose tissue turnover takes a long time. It varies wildly, and adipose tissue turnover can take anywhere from 2-10 years. There are many causes: age, muscle growth, total body fat and God knows what else influences how quickly your adipose tissue turns over.

So, what does this mean? This means eating Primally will cause immediate health benefits, but it takes YEARS to fully realize the health benefits of a Primal diet. While you may have the proper dietary fat now, you have adipose tissue still in your body with poor PUFA:SFA ratios from years ago when you used to eat SAD. In short, it may take YEARS to fully realize the health benefits of the Primal Blueprint, and even if you've been PB compliant for a full year, you may not be fully healed. I see this as a good thing - I've been very PB-compliant for a year, and this makes me feel like I am still continuing to improve. This isn't it for me - things will get even better. This is solid evidence that we have to make this a LIFELONG COMMITMENT.

This is my own biased, poorly researched analysis of the data. Maybe I'm hearing what I want to hear, but this is what I believe and this is what I think the data points to. It surely makes a whole lot of sense in the context of the PB.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

And I'm saying an apple isn't worse for you than a sweet potato, even though it contains a lot more fructose. Fructose isn't a problem until you strip it from all the natural enzymes that come with it. I'm against fish oil consumption for the same reason. Isolated foods are problematic because you're taking away the coenzymes and minerals along for the ride that help you digest it.

Sweet potatoes are better than apples post workout because they generate more insulin and that is desirable post workout, but they're not inherently healthier than apples because apples have more fructose. Fructose is bad when you're eating isolated fructose - which will never happen if you're Primal because isolated fructose doesn't exist in nature!
    That's where you reach your limits of scientific understanding of metabolism.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Where do you believe me to be incorrect? If you think I'm wrong, tell me where you believe me to be wrong.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I know you are wrong. Not a question of thinking.

Go away and do some scientific research and prove me wrong.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I'm all ears..err eyes, rather.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast