Page 50 of 91 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 50

Jreyes2265 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Skip this thread completely. Grey area theories by OP and in most responses. Just stick to the book
    ahhaa Thanks.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    I'm sort of a coffee snob, so I only drink my espresso black. Adding stuff like cream and sugar masks the wonderful flavors of the coffee itself. I guess it makes sense if you add it to your cup of burnt starbucks mr. coffee drip brew though.

Also, butter breaks the fast. Why not just prolong the fast instead, whilst enjoying plain coffee and reaping the benefits of caffeine ingestion? Then have a real meal with real food when you have the time... To each his own though.

Strange, since adding back starches I'm getting headaches during my daily fast. Very unpleasant.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Strange, since adding back starches I'm getting headaches during my daily fast. Very unpleasant.
    How long ago did you add back starches? And when are you having them? I tread the starch line, after intense workout sessions, which isn't very often.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Richard Nikoley at Free The Animal had a great post about this issue. I've believed the same for awhile, so I laughed when I saw him post it.

The Moderate Carbohydrate Flu | Free The Animal

Yes, "The Moderate Carb Flu."

It's simple - do you know that "Low Carb Flu" that people get when they first go Primal and get off the extremely high carb SAD? Well, the reason why they have this feeling is they are not metabolically flexible. They are not used to exercising their fat metabolism, only their glucose metabolism. It takes their body a few weeks to adjust and fire up the fat metabolism, just like it takes a few cranks to start up a diesel truck after a long, cold winter.

Well, guess what happens when some people go Primal? Some people think because SAD levels of carbs are bad, they should reduce their carbs to practically nothing. If you've been eating <100g of carbs for many months and avoiding fruits and starches, you are in a very similar situation to when you were on the SAD. Now, instead of having a poor fat metabolism, you have a poor glucose metabolism. YES, LOW CARBOHYDRATE DIETS MAKE YOU INSULIN RESISTANT!

And here in lies the problem. Everyone expects the "low carb flu", but suddenly, when people try carbs after months or years of VLC, when they crash, they think they can't handle carbohydrate. It's insanity! Just like it took your body a few weeks to adjust to VLC, it will take your body a few weeks to adjust to carbohydrate again. So, here's my advice:

1.) Don't go all in at once. Slowly increase your carb intake. Add 50g a day for the first or second week, then 50g more the second or third week. Do this until you can eat 100g of healthy carbohydrate in a single sitting and not feel bad. It may take a month or so.

2.) Don't begin with high GI carbohydrate. It's insane to go from no carbs to trying white potatoes and white rice. Start with squashes and fruit for a week or two, move to sweet potatoes for a week or two, then slowly incorporate things like white rice and white potatoes after a month or so.

3.) Give it 2-4 weeks. Just like some people have long cases of the low carb flu, you may have a long case of the moderate carb flu.

4.) Start taking probiotics. Your lack of soluble fiber and high intake of insoluble fiber from a VLC lifestyle may have you living with poor gut flora. Suddenly, dumping all this starch into a gut not prepared to break down starch into glucose may be overwhelming your flora. Also, try eating the carbs alongside Greek yogurt or kefir. These things will help you digest. A great way to shift into a moderate carbohydrate lifestyle is to have a bowl of Greek yogurt with sliced fruit in it. A cup of Greek yogurt with a sliced banana, apple and a handful of macadamias is an absolute JOY. I love it.

5.) Most importantly - make sure you are displacing fat for carbohydrate! Don't take all your normal meals and just start piling on starch. You will gain fat because you're going to be eating several hundred additional calories a day, then you'll come here complaining that you can't handle carbohydrate because you're getting fat and I'm going to slam my head on the keyboard Trade in that ribeye for pork loin or chicken breast on meals you want to pile on carbohydrate, or skip the oil on the salad or cut your butter consumption. Something's gotta give if you wanna add in carbs.

That's my advice, anyway. I'm not an expert.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-30-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I still think there needs to be a distinction among among types of carbohydrates. Vegetables, and fruits have carbohydrates; as well as tubers. I'm only pointing this out, because vegetables, and fruits tend to get lost under the bigger umbrella of carbohydrates.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The difference that should be pointed out is that the low carb insulin resistance is a transient physiological response, and is actually quite normal and healthy when living low carb. Its not the pathological sort of insulin resistance that those who have metabolic syndrome suffer from. In fact low carb still improves the factors of systemic chronic insulin resistance. Please keep this straight as it is quite important.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The difference that should be pointed out is that the low carb insulin resistance is a transient physiological response, and is actually quite normal and healthy when living low carb. Its not the pathological sort of insulin resistance that those who have metabolic syndrome suffer from. In fact low carb still improves the factors of systemic chronic insulin resistance. Please keep this straight as it is quite important.
    Thanks, for this, Neckhammer.

I've been eating fairly isocaloric for the past week. Most of my carbs are coming from a couple big sweet potatoes. And I only eat one meal a day. The headaches are probably a combo of carb flu and lackluster weather.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Two pertinent blog posts for the current discussion:

Low carb eating and physiological (vs. pathological) insulin resistance: Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance and palmitic acid again

And: Archevore - Archevore Blog - No Such thing as a macronutrient part II - Carbohydrates*(revised)

Page 50 of 91 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast