Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 47

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now

You mean the filling in those pop-tarts and that large order of fries doesn't count?
    Well, I guess since pizza is a veggie poptarts can be fruit.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    My son caught some iced pop tarts on fire in the toaster one time. They make some good kindling....

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    My son caught some iced pop tarts on fire in the toaster one time. They make some good kindling....
    My old GF started a fire in her kitchen when she forgot some in the toaster. It's odd how flammable processed sugar, oil, and flour can be.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Well, I guess since pizza is a veggie poptarts can be fruit.
    And ketchup is a vegetable too, at least it was considered one for a while in kid's school lunch programs... ah, those were the days ; )

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I've been away from the forum for a few days, busy with life. THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER. Chocotaco, you win ten internets and hell, I'll throw in a direwolf.

Just to add to the discussion, I've been in a weight loss stall for a solid year now, and carb cycling on its own, while helping me with strength gains, did nothing for fat loss; however, keeping the same carb cycling while decreasing fat and increasing protein has caused me to lose 6 pounds and 2% BF in the past two weeks. So for me, it's obvious that carbs were never the mitigating factor. I go back and forth between 150g and 50g on workout/non-workout days, but I upped my protein by 50g and decreased my fat by 50g. Bam, results. I could tell the difference right away.

I am female. I've never in my life been "skinny" (fit, and never fat, but certainly never skinny). I carry all my weight in my midsection. Sustained VLC provided nothing but plateaus and fatigue. Adding in sweet potatoes and sushi, lifting heavy, pigging out on protein, and watching my fats and calories have been the big keys to the equation for me. I'm still figuring it all out, but I'm not afraid of carbs anymore.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    To add to the discussion of deficiencies a few pages back, I take supplements based on the assumption that I deficient in serotonin and other amino acids. I think this stems from my parents (and their diet, and their parents' diet etc.) and possibly a genetic predisposition to low serotonin production and/or absorption of various amino acids. I probably would have died back in caveman days because not wanting to get out of bed in the morning too many times would result in starvation. There are a number of books that discuss these kinds of deficiencies and recommend diet and supplement regimens to get your brain chemistry (and gut) back in order. "Depression Free Naturally" and "The Mood Cure" recommend primal-like diets (but include some grains). "Primal Body, Primal Mind" apparently also advocates similar supplement protocols. Anecdotally, I've had a lot of success with my supplement regimen, though not every day is 100%. It's in on going experiment, like anything else.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    A lot of depression *can* be psychological imo........ eating right does make a difference though. I tend to feel better on a higher fat/higher protein regimen. I like the high of carbs like everyone else but have gotten tired of the side effects.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    I know all that shit's in McDonald's food. Fact remains I'm going to be much more energized for the day eating Chicken McNuggets for breakfast than I am an isocaloric quantity of organic sweet potatoes. "Whole primal foods" unfortunately means dick to my cells that are craving fat and protein and being given carbs. I'm not asking y'all to explain that, I just want to offer the perspective of that 1 percent (it's really a lot more than 1 percent) chocotaco369 was talking about who are "outliers."

But yes, for long-term health, I avoid all that shit in McDonald's meals. I cook dinners at my house with four or five ingredients, too. Because if I'm going to be eating this much meat, I'm f***ed if it's not quality stuff.

I think we all understand that people are different, and it's more about the people than the foods. Let's be glad there's a lot of good food out there we can all enjoy together.
    I don't believe a single word of this. Studies have shown thin people overestimate the calories they eat by up to 50% while overweight people underestimate the calories they eat by up to 50%. In short: people have horrible eyes and can't keep track of what they're eating without using precision tools to measure and track. A healthy person won't be more energized eating Chicken McNuggets - a healthy body doesn't care if it's running on fat or sugar. What matters is keeping the poisons out of your diet, and a Chicken McNugget is loaded with poisons while a sweet potato contains next to none. If you feel better on McNuggets than sweet potatoes you either have a psychological addiction, you're allergic or super sensitive to a compound in a potato or your body is in such a bad spot, you have so many toxins stored in adipose tissue that burning your body fat is actually making you ill by releasing those toxins, and harmful food is preventing you from breaking down body fat and therefore keeping toxin levels lower. You're not "allergic to carbs".
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ss14 is offline Member
    I'm lying, I'm a nutcase, my genes are crap, yada yada. Heard it all before, though not so much anymore since I've gotten into excellent shape despite all that. I guess I come around here for nostalgia's sake.
    Last edited by ss14; 03-29-2012 at 10:24 AM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I've been away from the forum for a few days, busy with life. THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER. Chocotaco, you win ten internets and hell, I'll throw in a direwolf.

Just to add to the discussion, I've been in a weight loss stall for a solid year now, and carb cycling on its own, while helping me with strength gains, did nothing for fat loss; however, keeping the same carb cycling while decreasing fat and increasing protein has caused me to lose 6 pounds and 2% BF in the past two weeks. So for me, it's obvious that carbs were never the mitigating factor. I go back and forth between 150g and 50g on workout/non-workout days, but I upped my protein by 50g and decreased my fat by 50g. Bam, results. I could tell the difference right away.

I am female. I've never in my life been "skinny" (fit, and never fat, but certainly never skinny). I carry all my weight in my midsection. Sustained VLC provided nothing but plateaus and fatigue. Adding in sweet potatoes and sushi, lifting heavy, pigging out on protein, and watching my fats and calories have been the big keys to the equation for me. I'm still figuring it all out, but I'm not afraid of carbs anymore.
    50g fat = ~450 calories
    50g protein = ~200 calories

so you decreased your total caloric intake by 250 a day, or 1750 cals a week.

Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast