Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 40

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I even find that if I use some sort of condiment like ketchup or mustard, the food reward of something like a potato goes up immensely.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Think foods that came straight from the earth and on to your plate. Those are the types of foods with low reward. Nothing added other than what nature provided.
    Come to think of it, I rarely season my meat.. I seemingly enjoy my meat, straight up. I don't know about vegetables, however, without some "dressing"

I even find that if I use some sort of condiment like ketchup or mustard, the food reward of something like a potato goes up immensely.
    I agree. Although, I often had fries without any ketchup, or mustard.

Like fries from burger king? Plain potato =/= potato sticks deep fried in vegetable oil and covered in salt...

Like fries from burger king? Plain potato =/= potato sticks deep fried in vegetable oil and covered in salt...
    I actually had some straight up potato fries, from this one stand, at the Sherwood Festival last year, it almost made me shed a tear, watching the guy run the potato into a slicer, and just put into a fryer.. likely, he may have used vegetable oil, but I guess I count that as my 20%...

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Take it back a notch and it works too.

A plain baked potato or mashed potatoes loaded with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and maybe some heavy cream to make the texture more palatable. Imagine biting into a plain baked potato like an apple and eating it that way. Now think of those delicious mashed potatoes covered in gravy. Which would you choose and which one would you be more likely to gorge yourself on?
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Food reward is interesting. Sure isn't gonna sell many books though . Its not really about palatability completely. It just seems so at first glance. Low reward does kind of equal less tasty when you first look at it. Probably why I don't see it as all that useful. Its just not all that actionable, unless you are desperate and really into this stuff.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Food reward is interesting. Sure isn't gonna sell many books though . Its not really about palatability completely. It just seems so at first glance. Low reward does kind of equal less tasty when you first look at it. Probably why I don't see it as all that useful. Its just not all that actionable, unless you are desperate and really into this stuff.
    There's more to it then that, which is why I think the name could use some work. There's an inherent satiating quality in foods, and in the case of primal foods, most of them are highly satiating thus making you fuller for longer and discouraging overeating or mindless snacking. A ribeye and a baked potato are highly satiating and they keep you full for a long time, so you don't see people shoving 3 ribeyes and a bag of potatoes down their throat. That being said, after you gorge yourself on your meat and potatoes to the point that another bite would make you sick, someone could offer you a bowl of ice cream and suddenly you can eat more, while you don't actually need to. Ice cream is highly rewarding, palatable, and not very satiating, so it's a binge trigger for a lot of people.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    I don't generally have those reactions to PUFA-containing foods. Heartburn I don't get at all, unless I eat at 10 p.m., which I only do if I'm practically forced to, which is almost never. And I actually didn't say I "felt wasted," I said I wasted the whole day sleeping. The difference is important because I didn't feel confused or poisoned, I just felt sleepy.

But obviously your reactions are real. And the difference in our reactions is in my opinion a fascinating topic to explore within this whole primal framework. That's why this thread rubbed me the wrong way. Why silence useful inquiry into this phenomenon with "well, sweet potatoes are the best food ever, and if you don't think so, your metabolism is really, really f***ed up, and it's probably your fault from eating too many grain and PUFA toxins. Here, salivate over my pictures of sweet potatoes to see what you're missing*."

This is why I don't start a thread, "Restaurant fryer oil isn't the problem, you're the problem" and tell everyone how, gee, I eat 25 soybean oil-drenched chicken wings in a bar and I'm ready to take a girl under each arm and go belt out some karaoke (exactly how I feel when I eat this way, by the way, unless I eat carbs alongside it), so I don't know WHAT the f*** is wrong with you!

*Don't mean to be too hard on you, chocotaco369. Many of your recipes look great and I will in fact try them, just maybe with a bit less starch.
    I forgot my "this is n=1 only" addendum at the end of my list. Thanks for taking it the right way.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    There's more to it then that, which is why I think the name could use some work. There's an inherent satiating quality in foods, and in the case of primal foods, most of them are highly satiating thus making you fuller for longer and discouraging overeating or mindless snacking. A ribeye and a baked potato are highly satiating and they keep you full for a long time, so you don't see people shoving 3 ribeyes and a bag of potatoes down their throat. That being said, after you gorge yourself on your meat and potatoes to the point that another bite would make you sick, someone could offer you a bowl of ice cream and suddenly you can eat more, while you don't actually need to. Ice cream is highly rewarding, palatable, and not very satiating, so it's a binge trigger for a lot of people.
    Yep. I read through every comment on Richard Nikoley's blogpost on the topic. It baffles me how people are having such a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept though. It's not that complicated..

Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast