Page 35 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 35

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    You're right, how dare I speak ill off these modern marvels. Where would we be without gimmicky dumb bells that simulate the act of jerking off a horse, and other gimmicky dumb bells that would be better off jerking off a horse. I hate modern fitness with a passion. Take your fat burners and shakes weights and shove them, I have calisthenics to do and a steak to eat. My only hope is that shake weights have a fundamental flaw in their design that causes them to violently explode 67% of the time.
    My brother has/may have had one.. I wonder if he'll let me test that theory....

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    My brother has/may have had one.. I wonder if he'll let me test that theory....
    Aren't those things marketed towards women? I had no clue there was a male version. I now change my hopes, I want them to explode every time, at even the slightest disturbance.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Back on the sugar track, I just downed a half cup of rice with veal liver... during the winter/spring time... I wonder how far my sugar will shoot up...according to an infamous poster..

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Damn @lex, can I move in with you? I wish I had the money and space to get a rack like that. Shit, I'd replace my bed with that rack in my tiny studio apartment if I could.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Damn @lex, can I move in with you? I wish I had the money and space to get a rack like that. Shit, I'd replace my bed with that rack in my tiny studio apartment if I could.
    Well, I decided that if I as gonna take this whole "getting back in shape" thing seriously, it'd be better to just throw down a lump sum once and give myself everything I need instead of hopping from one fad machine to the next, or end up with a room cluttered full of stuff when one or two things can accomplish the same thing. I've always been a fan of the old school barbell lifts, but I'm not a fan of trudging to my local gym and dealing with competition for equipment and the generally shitty and egotistical nonsense that goes on in most gyms. The last thing I want is for some 17 year old kid to come up to me when I'm trying to get something done and say something like " Hey, how much you bench? I can put up like 250 am I jacked? have you heard of the new supplement everyone is talking about? it's called SUPER THUNDER MUSCLE XL9000 and it's awesome! My uncle takes it and he's a beast! blah blah blah blah." Fuck human interaction, I'd rather train like a caged animal in the privacy of my own home and not deal with any of that shit.

That rack will let me do the 4 big barbell lifts I like ( Squat,DL, military press, and BP) in complete safety ( the safety bars can handle over 1000 pounds, and you can get a strap system with a 10,000 lb breaking point) as well as offering me several variations of the pull up bar. There's much more you can do with it, but I'm not going to bore you with the details. That will be the prominent thing in the room, as well as some kettlebells, Indian clubs, two heavy bags, a speed bag platform, and maybe a set of adjustable dumb bells. I'm sure I'll add some more odd things to the collection ( sandbags, and accessories for the rack for grip training, dips,and so on), but those few basic things will be more than enough to keep me entertained. I've always tried to train with a sense of balance, and make sure to mix in heavy lifting with calisthenics, combat training, restorative and joint exercises, stretching, free weights, and some simple stuff like cold baths and meditation, so I want to make sure I have a solid foundation set up for all of that. I've lived the life of an out of shape, fat, and unhealthy mess, and this equipment and a paleo diet template will help me make sure I don't make the same mistakes again.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Where would we be without gimmicky dumb bells that simulate the act of jerking off a horse, and other gimmicky dumb bells that would be better off jerking off a horse.
    You owe me a new lap top. I will never look at shake weights the same way again.....

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    There's a huge amount of emphasis on optimizing a lot of small factors when it comes to exercise and building muscle. I blame the supplement industry that tells people they need an entire cabinet full of specially formulated products and must take them within an exact time frame otherwise all their work was pointless and they'll just never achieve their goals.
    This is true with anything- diet, running, hell even training horses. People look for the tiny short cuts hoping to get out of the real work and effort that is hard, time consuming and not super exciting. Easier to hope a supplement works than actually follow an eating plan for a year or three. Easier to grab a shake weight then go to the gym 5x a week and get in the reps and get your form right. Easier to take a Hammergel then build up your endurance.

Anything worthwhile takes some time and effort. A lot of people don't want to make that effort unless it pays off really quickly.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    how can this site be so over-run with fake accounts? it's so annoying...

What's the rub on cold baths? Sandow wrote about it in what I linked earlier. He said you should take one daily and year-round despite the weather, he also said you should just get into your clothes wet and let yourself dry that way. However, the site states that his material may have been ghost-written and that it's possible some of it was in jest... I would assume that would be one such instance. I have heard great things about cold baths, and I do some cold rinses, but I'm not likely to take an actual ice bath any time soon.... I hate hot showers, even warm I have an issue with I always like the water a little cold (my gf and I can't share the shower, too cold for her and too hot for me -- at the same water temp) for what it's worth.

ss14 is offline Member
    Been eating not many carbs lately, feel great. Waist is thinner at age 27 than it was at 12. Getting my sprinting speed, quick wit, and nimble mind back.

My biggest carb intake of late was the day after St. Patrick's Day. I slept in, skipped breakfast, and had an early lunch at a Puerto Rican cafe here in Chicago. And I went nuts on carbs, not because I was really craving them, but because they were there -- and fresh and well cooked.

So how did the piles of bread, beans, plantains, and potatoes treat me? I slept all afternoon and wasted the whole day. "I'm the problem," still, I guess, but since I can't switch bodies with chocotaco369, I think I'll just continue to avoid carbs.

ss14 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also want to anticipate one criticism here: since cutting my carb intake, I tolerate a MODERATE carb load much BETTER. I used to feel sleepy and drugged after a simple turkey sandwich for a work lunch, now I can eat it with no problem.

Again, "I'm the problem," I know, I know. I'm just not seeing why I should change things.

Page 35 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast