Page 34 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem. page 34

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    There's definitely a quality they had back then that we're missing today. All the old school strong men are really interesting guys, and they had an appreciation for all around fitness and less focus on just being pumped and so on that we see today. These guys were combining heavy ass lifting with things like chunks of iron, boulders, logs, anchors, and so on with advanced level calisthenics and gymnastic skills like one armed handstand push ups and human flags. They also appreciated the restorative arts like club swinging, twist holds, active stretching, and static holds. Walk into your average gym today and ask someone where the Indian clubs are and they'll look at you like you just yelled at them in a foreign language.
    Yeah, I hear you. I love reading about them and also their work when available.

Some of my favorite current athletes imitate that "all encompassing" but non gimmicky training style that combines some ring skills, calisthenics, hand balancing, odd object training, weight training, etc... I try to mix it up as well but I'm a long way away from it. I don't train anywhere near as long as these guys likely did, for starters...

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I love reading about them and also their work when available.

Some of my favorite current athletes imitate that "all encompassing" but non gimmicky training style that combines some ring skills, calisthenics, hand balancing, odd object training, weight training, etc... I try to mix it up as well but I'm a long way away from it. I don't train anywhere near as long as these guys likely did, for starters...
    My training is mixed as well. I do a lot of old school barbell stuff, progressive calisthenics, plenty of bag work, and then a bunch of odd things like beating a tractor tire with a sledge hammer and so on. I'm looking to get a rogue R6 rack for an addition on my house that I'll be turning into a gym. It's huge, but lets you do a lot of old school and functional exercises in relative safety.

You can do all the functional barbell stuff with it and make use of the 3 pull up bars and various attachments like dip stations and so on. Add my heavy and speed bags to this and a bit of floor space and I'm all set. I might pick up a set of adjustable dumb bells from ironmaster at some point too.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

My training is mixed as well. I do a lot of old school barbell stuff, progressive calisthenics, plenty of bag work, and then a bunch of odd things like beating a tractor tire with a sledge hammer and so on. I'm looking to get a rogue R6 rack for an addition on my house that I'll be turning into a gym. It's huge, but lets you do a lot of old school and functional exercises in relative safety.

You can do all the functional barbell stuff with it and make use of the 3 pull up bars and various attachments like dip stations and so on. Add my heavy and speed bags to this and a bit of floor space and I'm all set. I might pick up a set of adjustable dumb bells from ironmaster at some point too.
    Damn that'd be quite a rig!

Lately my training's been more focused on the body weight side of things, mostly weighted pull ups, dips, etc. Deadlifts, front squats are mostly what I use my bar for. I've also been doing handstand training, such slow progress there (one of the downsides of being self-taught) but enjoying the process. I'm pretty simplistic in my training nowdays, I have some bodyweight feats of strength set as goals and you basically can't be weak and perform them, so I'll be pretty happy once I start to hit them. However, I'm not fixated on them. I enjoy the training for what it is, so once some of those goals are met it won't mean the end of the journey by any means... it also means I get to make my goals pretty varied (like a one arm handstand and a 2.5x bodyweight deadlit) since I don't need to be so specific with my training.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Take the "down a pint of cherry garcia in one sitting" challenge, and if you feel okay afterwards you're good to go.
    This is an excellent test. I pass it with flying colors, regularly. Although I prefer the Chunky Monkey flavor.

Eating ice cream just makes my body temperature go up for a while nowadays. It used to make me feel sick and then get a sugar crash. Not anymore.

That rack is epic.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Damn that'd be quite a rig!

Lately my training's been more focused on the body weight side of things, mostly weighted pull ups, dips, etc. Deadlifts, front squats are mostly what I use my bar for. I've also been doing handstand training, such slow progress there (one of the downsides of being self-taught) but enjoying the process. I'm pretty simplistic in my training nowdays, I have some bodyweight feats of strength set as goals and you basically can't be weak and perform them, so I'll be pretty happy once I start to hit them. However, I'm not fixated on them. I enjoy the training for what it is, so once some of those goals are met it won't mean the end of the journey by any means... it also means I get to make my goals pretty varied (like a one arm handstand and a 2.5x bodyweight deadlit) since I don't need to be so specific with my training.
    Have you read Convict Conditioning at all? It's a bit gimmicky with the convict angle, but it lays out a great routine for getting to the higher level calisthenics skills. Two sites that are also worth checking out are Beast Skills and Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! if you're interested in some of the calisthenics feats of strength.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Have you read Convict Conditioning at all? It's a bit gimmicky with the convict angle, but it lays out a great routine for getting to the higher level calisthenics skills. Two sites that are also worth checking out are Beast Skills and Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! if you're interested in some of the calisthenics feats of strength.
    Yeah I own and liked CC and am familiar with both sites, thank you though.

How interesting this Sandow book is, I just got done reading about his "grip" dumb-bell (described here: Strength & How to Obtain It - I-I to I-V chapter 5) which was basically a dumb-bell cut in two at the handle, and joined again by a spring, that you had to exert pressure on in order for the bell to stay together. It basically forced you to concentrate on the exercise by squeezing the bells. Obviously it also tested your grip a lot, and a strong grip is everything... but what an interesting device. I had never heard of such an idea. Personally, I like to challenge the grip in most things I do, but looks like Sandow was taking it a step further.

How sad that a lot of relevant information is lost while a lot of new age bs springs up...

Eric5105 is offline Member
    I can't remember the last time I ate ice cream. I usually have a few days a month where I go crazy on food and eat like 4500-5000 calories. I think I will keep this challenge in mind. Probably this Saturday.

Yeah I own and liked CC and am familiar with both sites, thank you though.

How interesting this Sandow book is, I just got done reading about his "grip" dumb-bell (described here: Strength & How to Obtain It - I-I to I-V chapter 5) which was basically a dumb-bell cut in two at the handle, and joined again by a spring, that you had to exert pressure on in order for the bell to stay together. It basically forced you to concentrate on the exercise by squeezing the bells. Obviously it also tested your grip a lot, and a strong grip is everything... but what an interesting device. I had never heard of such an idea. Personally, I like to challenge the grip in most things I do, but looks like Sandow was taking it a step further.

How sad that a lot of relevant information is lost while a lot of new age bs springs up...
    Yeah, fuck dumbells that force you to concentrate and control the movement thus cultivating better form and reinforcing your mental connection with both the exercise and your body all while building a stronger grip. Why have that when you can have shake weights and Jillian Michaels plastic kettlebells?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, fuck dumbells that force you to concentrate and control the movement thus cultivating better form and reinforcing your mental connection with both the exercise and your body all while building a stronger grip. Why have that when you can have shake weights and Jillian Michaels plastic kettlebells?
    Come on, you know it's about efficiency.... The shake weight just induces greater muscle activity in six minutes!!!!! And Jillian Michaels, you can't go wrong...the results speak for themselves...... ......

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Come on, you know it's about efficiency.... The shake weight just induces greater muscle activity in six minutes!!!!! And Jillian Michaels, you can't go wrong...the results speak for themselves...... ......
    You're right, how dare I speak ill off these modern marvels. Where would we be without gimmicky dumb bells that simulate the act of jerking off a horse, and other gimmicky dumb bells that would be better off jerking off a horse. I hate modern fitness with a passion. Take your fat burners and shakes weights and shove them, I have calisthenics to do and a steak to eat. My only hope is that shake weights have a fundamental flaw in their design that causes them to violently explode 67% of the time.

Page 34 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast