Im happy. #5 seems to be clearing up
Hey, my name is Dustin and I have just started going primal and am happy thus far. To give you my history, I have been struggling with weight for most of my life. My parents fed me well teaching me to appreciate good meat, good veggies, and fruits. However we being the typical american family still loved our sweets. From about the 6th grade on ive always been a little overweight through high school. I was athletic in high school playing football and was senior captain of my wrestling team. I believe that this activity helped sty off the extra weight. After high school.....well in the period of about 3 years i went from being a 6'2" 215 pound guy with a slight pudge, to a 340 pound guy who felt like absolute crap. Sleep apnea, daytime drowsiness, high blood pressure all ensued shortly after this gain. I have since then tried the conventional wisdom methods only for short losses. Did weight watchers and went from 340 to 295....quit and back to 310. Did the "biggest loser" method and went from 310 to 260, and was just miserable the entire process. That prompted me back to 298. I lost a little at first just cutting out the sweets and watching portions, got me down around 290. Then I finally smarted up and listened to my boss who has had great success from Primal. I started last Wednesday and have already shed 10 pounds in my first week.
So far it has not been too bad of a transition. Before I started this I was having problems with some gallstones, and right after starting I had a really bad one. I imagine the extra fat in my diet made my gall bladder push this out. I haven't had a problem in about 4 days now with that, so i believe i am past that hurdle. I do have some points of interest and some questions that have happened since the change.
1. I went Primal(sort of). I am still researching places in my area where I can get better quality foods than the grocery store and work with my limited income(wife in school). However, the first step ive found is the guy that sits across from me at work raises chickens and I have started buying my eggs from him. Very good stuff!
2. My family went healthier. My wife is not totally on board, BUT she has made drastic improvements. Her ideal snack used to be potato chips and raw onion. I never got that myself lol. We also used to down a bout a half a dozen energy drinks a week. Those are gone now as well. Our meals are better, but still with some rices and potatoes(they eat them I dont). Wife and daughter are now eating more fruits for snacks than they used to. Its not Primal(yet??) but its a far cry better than what they were at.
3. My first workout after primal was rough. I did it last night which was day 5 of my start to Primal. WOW about halfway through my body was SCREAMING that it was tired to to give up. I pressed through. I assume that as my body converts itself that this is going to stay hard.
4. Fish oil. I have never taken it before, but I added 3g of it into my mix as of yesterday. Also i have been contemplating milkthistle extract for better liver function.
5. The bathroom breaks. The last two days i have had less than usual happiness in the bathroom. Im usually a regular guy, but the last two days I have gone at least once but it was sorta greasy and liquid-like(sorry for the visual folks) but is this normal for about a day 5-7 person and will this go away? Is there anything i can do to help this?
6. My usual meals. Breakfast/Eggs and Bacon....maybe an omlet with veggies inside. Lunch/Leftovers(this week its been tilapia and veggies today....and leftover cabbage and bratwurst yesterday). Dinners include the above lunches, steak, BBQ pork(minimal sauce). Snacks include almonds, apple or kiwi(1 fruit max per day), boiled egg, a few pork rinds(local place makes them). Drink/water and some black coffee. What tweaks do you folks see there that need to happen?
All in all it has been a good experience. I can't wait to see the results continue to happen, and look forward to being part of this community for a while to come.
Im happy. #5 seems to be clearing up
Welcome. Sounds like you are doing well.
IMHO, potatoes are fine. Not for you when you are trying to lose lots of weight. But fine for your wife and daughter if they don't need to lose. I eat them every day.
Ancestral Health Info
I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.
Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.