Thread: Warning: Marks daily apple hacked page

delvarworld is offline Junior Member

Warning: Marks daily apple hacked

Shop Now
    PLEASE BE ADVISED

The main page of marks daily apple has been hacked. At the bottom of the page HTML is an applet tag trying to run a malicious exe that will infect your computer. DO NOT CLICK "ALLOW" TO ANY POPUP FROM MARKS DAILY APPLE.

The forums do NOT APPEAR TO BE AFFECTED.

Mark, what to do:

SHUT DOWN THE SITE NOW.

Edit your page templates and remove the applet code.

Delete the exe from your public html root level folder.

UPGRADE WORDPRESS, VBULLETIN, AND ANY PLUGINS YOU HAVE INSTALLED. The entry point could have been anywhere. CHANGE YOUR LOG IN PASSWORDS IMMEDIATELY. Anything could have been compromised since they were able to get a file on your web space, including forum passwords.

Your contact page is broken because of the attack so I couldn't email you there.

IF YOU ARE ON A WINDOWS MACHINE, AND YOU EVER CLICKED "ALLOW" TO A POPUP ON MARKS DAILY APPLE, YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN INFECTED.

This virus targets Windows machines only. Mac OSX and Linux users are fine, as usual. If you clicked "Allow" to a popup on MDA, you need to install a virus scanner (I suggest Avast!), then disconnect your computer from the internet AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and run a full scan.

IF YOU USE YOUR FORUM PASSWORD FOR ANY OTHER APPLICATIONS, ESPECIALLY EMAIL, CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS NOW.

Since the malicious file (run.exe) is hosted on Mark's web space, that means the entire website has been compromised. Any corner of the site could potentially be affected.

The virus has been in place since last night (Monday Feb 6th). It is very scary that it has been unnoticed for so long. Many people could have been infected by now. It still hasn't been fixed as of Tuesday, Noon PST. This is a very serious problem. Does anyone know a faster way to contact Mark?

Please help spread the word through Twitter, and add @Mark_Sisson . Warn people against visiting the main site.

olehcat is offline Senior Member
    omgosh how scary! I did get that message this morning and I said "no" (I'm on a Mac, but still...). I'm glad things seem to be okay!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    The prophecy has been fulfilled.

desertjedi is offline Junior Member
    The vegans have struck!!!

If you're running Windows you should perform a full scan of your computer. There's no such thing as a perfect virus scanner, and your computer can be taken over even if you have one running (that's Windows for you).

It is possible, however unlikely, that any data stored on this website was compromised. I highly doubt that any credit card information is stored on this website, and is handled through a secure purchasing third party. Mark has stated in a comment he will make a more informative blog post, so stay tuned for that.