Thread: plantain chips and bacon fridge-life page

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Two foodie questions:

1) What's everybody's take on plantain chips? They seem like they have a pretty good profile, with 50/50 distribution of fats and carbs.

2) For lunch, I'll make BLT "wraps" out of cabbage leaves. However, I'm getting a bit pressed for time in the morning to prepare lunch, and I suck at doing it at night. If I cook up a bunch of bacon, how long will it keep in an airtight container in the fridge?

maba is offline Senior Member

I had plantain chips last week. The packet said it was fried in Palm Oil, but I'm not sure if it was the unrefined kind (but I've been making bad food choices anyway - I blame it on my pregnancy). They tasted awesome! Many people would say it's not primal but if it's made with good fat, I'd say it's primal. But keep away from them if you're trying to lose weight and are counting carbs.

Or try making them at home. Slice the green/unripe plantain really thin. Melt about 1T of coconut oil and drizzle over the slices and toss to cover the slices evenly with CO. Line them in a baking tray and bake in the oven at 425 F for 15 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 10-15 minutes or till they become crisp. Play with the time as it depends on the variety of the plantain and thickness of the slices. When done, sprinkle with salt and enjoy

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Come on..... plantain is just a less sweet version of the banana. Lots of carbs. I guess if you can eat lots of carbs, that's not an issue.

As to the bacon, half way to forever. There isn't enough water in it for bacteria. Look pre-cooked bacon. It can sit at room temperature for several months.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't advise just munching away at plantain/banana chips, as even though they have a lot of palm or coconut oil, they also have a lot of carbs. And even though a lot of the calories come from fats, which is good, it is pretty easy to consume hundreds of essentially empty calories. I'll take as much as an oz and sprinkle them throughout a fruit/veggie/seed salad but certainly not treat them like potato chips.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I've never had cooked bacon go bad in my fridge.

The less that's said about the raw bacon that went bad in my fridge the better.

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty psyched about the bacon news. I just need it to last 3 - 5 days, and it seems like it will.

As for the plantains, I'm not really worried about taking in too many carbs. Most bags say one serving is an ounce, or around 30 chips. I'll be separating them into my snack bags (200ish calorie bags of jerky, walnuts, macadamias, almonds, and dried blueberries, pineapples, pears, and cherries), so we're talking 4 - 6 chips per bag. It'll be nice to get a good crunch back into my texture.

Stabby, I really like the idea of sprinkling them into a salad. I used to be a huge fan of wonton or tortilla strips in my salad, but never bothered trying to replace them. Looks like I'll have to give that a try!

adamsaysyo is offline Member

I am a newbie to Primal (2 weeks). Everyone is talking bacon, and I want to jump on the bandwagon.

Where is the best place to get it, and what kind?

I have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, & a few Farmer's Market's near me, among other places. What types of bacon are primal? Am I restricted to uncured? I am clueless... Thanks for any help!

Whole foods has that organic maple-cured bacon in a bulk package. It's something like 4 pounds of bacon for $18 bucks. That's a great buy.

The trader joe's applewood smoked bacon, as well as the uncured variety, are both excellent buys, too.

I think it's hard to go wrong with those three suppliers. Try a package from each when you buy and decide which you like best.