Thread: Non gmo soy fed to chicken = enough lysine to produce eggs? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Non gmo soy fed to chicken = enough lysine to produce eggs?

Primal Fuel
    This is what the sales person told me about the chicken that lay their otherwise pastured eggs. Is this bullshit? Is there lysine in bugs? LOL Also the hens are fed organic corn, so I'm iffy about that...

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, I don't feed my chickens any soy. They get scratch grains, cooked sweet oats (a warm treat on frozen mornings), black oil sunflower seeds, and kitchen scraps. Plus whatever they scratch up. Their eggs are dark yellow yolked and they've been laying through the winter as I add lights into their coupe to lengthen the day and warm them a bit. Also, they get a head of lettuce each day as they love their greens.

mykidsteacher is offline Junior Member
    We've never given our chickens soy. They get oats and corn, and whatever grass, clover and bugs they can scratch up, plus kitchen scraps. We don't light them through the winter so there is a drop off, but they do continue laying, and are really picking up lately with just the little extra sunlight that's already happening.

As pp said, dark yellow yolks and fabulous flavor.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I'm seeing dark yellow, but not orange yolks. I thought that pastured eggs were orange.