Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this - is this Primal? page

kjake55 Guest

Shop Now

Is this primal? 100% Raw-Organic Live Food Bar w/Sprouted Flax Seed-ingredients: cashew, date, agave nectar, almond & sprouted flax seed. I get them from the co-op I belong to and they're a great meal replacement or pre-workout energy source but I'm not sure if they qualify as primal or not.

Also, I'm going to both the farmers market this weekend and the supermarket. After an inventory of my cubbards I found many items that need to be replaced, rice, pasta, kashi 7-grain, oatmeal, cereal, etc etc. Any suggestions as to what should be in there (as sides for dinner, quick snacks etc)and any suggestions on what to do with the stuff in there now? I'm not going to just trash it, I dont want to waste the money I've already spent on these items by throwing them away. What has anyone else who is transistioning done with their stuff?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Agave nectar is not primal. And I think dates are discouraged since they contain so much sugar.

I've found that with paleo/primal, there isn't really a huge use for cupboards. Most everything you buy will need to be refrigerated or frozen (meat, some veggies), or just left out in a bowl or basket (fruit, some other veggies). Just about anything that comes in a can, box or bottle is non-primal. Except for spices - those are certainly good to have. I think in my cupboards is a jar or coconut oil, a bottle of olive oil, a few tins of tuna and a bag of sunflower seeds. Oh, and various boxes of tea.

I had slowly switched to a primal way of eating, so I just ate the rice, pasta, oatmeal, etc. that I had and didn't buy more. I came from eating a vegan diet and passed through an transition stage where I started adding more meat and eating less grains. Oh, and some I gave to my parents - they would have just bought it anyway.

Conan Guest

Both dates and agave nectar have a high Glycemic Index meaning they are likely to spike your insulin levels. The cashews and almond might offset that a bit. They might not be too bad for a pre-workout snack (hour or less before workout) but I wouldn't eat them any other time.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

@conan: wouldn't they be better as a post wo snack? i thought that was a good time to carb it if you're going to because the body is willing to gobble up the excess sugar. am i totally wrong and confused? i get really tripped up by the science.

JustMe Guest

kjake55.... I'm a newbie to this lifestyle so I'll leave others to comment on your snack choices but I'd like to suggest taking your non-primal food items you mentioned to your local food bank. I know the local food pantry here is in dire straights right now.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'm with JustMe on the food pantry thing... I'm SO GLAD I didn't keep eating pasta, rice, etc just because I had it. My "transition time" has been basically nonexistent.

Personally, I put all the non-primal stuff on one shelf of our pantry and my husband is free to eat it as he pleases. We're moving this summer (probably August or September) and if my husband decides to go Primal with me at that point (which I'm thinking he will) we'll probably give anything unopened to the food bank, and try to give the opened stuff to our neighbors (we live in a military neighborhood and that's common practice when people move).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Also, I'm totally tightfisted with my budget and I understand not wanting to waste money, but seriously? Once you start eating so well you won't want to eat that stuff...

I have turkey bacon in the freezer from when I was trying to do low-fat, lower calories... and I totally don't want to eat it. I need to find a neighbor to give it to... it's just not real food.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kjake55 Guest

@sammylou: regarding the after workout carbs; I was talking with my trainer (I crossfit regularly) and he told me that it's best to consume a liquid supplement post-workout. He reasoned that when you take in solids your system uses resources to digest the food. A liquid is "pre-digested" so to speak so it moves into your muscles where it's needed most. I use a high quality protein before and after workouts. I'm not much of a science person but he's never steered me wrong yet (he is the one who got me started on MDA after all) and I have noticed a difference since I started using the mix pre/post.

Food banks are an A1 idea, so is giving some of it up to mom and pop although I hate to knowingly offer anyone "poison", it feels a little Shakespearean to me!

kjake i know what you mean about the poison thing... guess I just feel like I can't convert everyone and that's what they eat, so... they're either gonna buy it at the store or get it from me for free.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

This is inspiring me to clean my cupboards. There are several boxes of cereal that probably expired months ago, so I can't even donate it. Probably not worthy of the compost pile, either. Should I go to the beach and feed seagulls with it, or would that be considered animal abuse?

I'm amazed that my husband didn't eat it. I didn't expect him to join me on the no-grains thing so seriously! I figured he'd last for a week or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast