Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo and Paragard page

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member

Paleo and Paragard

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have decided to go off the pill in favor of Paragard. I have an appointment with my doc next Monday, and I'm scared/nervous about it.

If anybody has info and experiences on this non-hormonal option, I would greatly appreciate it.

ParaGardŽ (copper intrauterine contraceptive)

THANK YOU so much! I'm new to the forum, so I appreciate you rounding up old posts on this topic! There's so much to read and learn on here!

My fears are breaking out in acne, gaining weight, further stressing my thyroid as my body adjusts, getting pregnant and the cost, considering I want to have babies in 2-3 years. Plus, I heard it hurts to put in, causing nausea and cramping. Grrr....

In my opinion, these are all small things compared to the damage bc is doing to my body.

So, after reading the threads, it appears it hurts worse for insertion with women who haven't had children. (That's me). Also, infections seem to be an issue? I have a tight cervix, and one lady said it was very painful for her all the time because of this.

I really feel it's my best option. Hope the doc feels the same. Still scared out of my mind. The trusty pill and I have been together for 6 years now. That's a lot of torment on my gut though! I'm ready for the fake hormones to leave my body!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    It hurts going in, but the pain will soon be forgotten once you realize how awesome it is to not have to worry about birth control! just make sure to take a pain killer before you go in and get some on your way out. don't try to tough it out, it's not worth it. i was against pain pills for years, and took them for this and I'm glad I did.
    I've had mine for four years and while it made my cramping worse and my flow heavier(but, that also runs in my family), I don't care because it's soooo convenient! Plus, being a woman, you tend to forget all about period pain once it's passed.
    and it's been perfectly in place all these years with no problems. I just had a checkup and everything is super! (and I'm pre-childbirth)

one thing, your partner might feel it the first few times, only because there's the string that hangs down and it's like fishing line, so it can poke out. but after a few "pushes", it gets swept to the side and stays put lol

the only thing I'm not looking forward to is taking it out and putting it back in between my future babies :C

I'm very excited for you! and I feel for you, girl! it will hurt, but don't worry, you'll get through it fine

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    So, after reading the threads, it appears it hurts worse for insertion with women who haven't had children. (That's me). Also, infections seem to be an issue? I have a tight cervix, and one lady said it was very painful for her all the time because of this.

I really feel it's my best option. Hope the doc feels the same. Still scared out of my mind. The trusty pill and I have been together for 6 years now. That's a lot of torment on my gut though! I'm ready for the fake hormones to leave my body!
    I don't think it always hurts more for women without children... at least that wasn't the case for me (no kids, little pain). It is uncomfortable at first though, of course. Your doctor should be able to "measure" you before he/she tries to put it in so they are sure it will fit in advance. My doctors did that, at least.

Good luck with it, I love paragard... I've had it for 6 years now and I'll never use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post

I've never had a problem with infections. hadnt heard that, either

Your doctor should tell you to go in during the week of your period, when your cervix is more open. i went during the end of mine (due to scheduling conflicts) and it wasn't as open, and I think that's what hurt more.
    trust me, though, kisss that daily pill goooooodbye and goooooooooooooooooooooood riddance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

Good luck with it, I love paragard... I've had it for 6 years now and I'll never use anything else.
    woohoo! I've had mine 4! high five! I love it!!!

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    It hurts going in, but the pain will soon be forgotten once you realize how awesome it is to not have to worry about birth control! just make sure to take a pain killer before you go in and get some on your way out. don't try to tough it out, it's not worth it. i was against pain pills for years, and took them for this and I'm glad I did.
    I've had mine for four years and while it made my cramping worse and my flow heavier(but, that also runs in my family), I don't care because it's soooo convenient! Plus, being a woman, you tend to forget all about period pain once it's passed.
    and it's been perfectly in place all these years with no problems. I just had a checkup and everything is super! (and I'm pre-childbirth)

one thing, your partner might feel it the first few times, only because there's the string that hangs down and it's like fishing line, so it can poke out. but after a few "pushes", it gets swept to the side and stays put lol

the only thing I'm not looking forward to is taking it out and putting it back in between my future babies :C

I'm very excited for you! and I feel for you, girl! it will hurt, but don't worry, you'll get through it fine
    I'm actually on my second IUD (no kids). The removal is NOTHING. It was like 2 seconds of discomfort and done. Getting the new one put in was the same as the first, but I'd think that compared to child birth it would be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    I'm actually on my second IUD (no kids). The removal is NOTHING. It was like 2 seconds of discomfort and done. Getting the new one put in was the same as the first, but I'd think that compared to child birth it would be nothing.
    seriously!!??? thoughts of the removal would make me nauseous! thanks for easing my fears

jay_fm is offline Member
    I am going on 9 years with my paraguard and it has been wonderful. I do get some pains here and there. When my cervix is low I feel like I get a jab or two at times but any discomfort is greatly outweighed by worry free birth control. I will have it taken out when I get to 10 years and DH will get snipped since we are 100% done with kids.
    Pre-Primal SW: 161
    CW- 150
    Goal 120ish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast