Thread: How long to lower fasting blood glucose? page

_Wifey_ is offline Junior Member

How long to lower fasting blood glucose?

Primal Fuel
    I have a huge family history of diabetes & had gestational diabetes with my son (born Apr 2010). Since then I've been on occasion checking my fasting BG at the recommendation of my doc. It started creeping up to the 110s which was my motivation to move to full time primal. I'm curious, for those of you that have had higher fasting BG, how long did it take to get to a normal/healthy range? I've been going full time for almost a month now (still working on moving slowly more often) & my BG is down to the low 100s, but I'd really like for it to be in the low 80s before we get pregnant again so that my OB/endocrinologist doesn't put me on insulin. Any tips would be appreciated as well!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    You may find it necessary to keep a count of your carbs - the lower the better for controlling blood sugar.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    If I'm eating "right," the only thing that helps is long, slow exercise. About a one-hour walk, at any speed.

I've been more off the wagon than on for a long, long time now, and my fasting glucose is up to horrid and down to bad, depending--so I shouldn't really talk--but that's what has worked for me, when I've worked to make it work.

My carb count according to fitday is around 100. I guess I really should try to prioritize the moving. Thanks!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I was recording morning fasting BG levels usually in the range of 110-125. I decided to aggressively lower my levels, by taking the following steps:

~ moved from 80/20 primal to close to 100% consistent (I *finally* eliminated all grains, sugar & alcohol)
    ~ stepped up my intermittent fasting (IF) routine, to two 24-hr fasts per week, and every other day, aimed for 18-20 hr fasts (and tried not to eat after 6 pm most nights)
    ~ started taking r-lipoic acid, an antioxidant that helps to lower fasting BG

I didn't measure my levels for close to 3 months, because I don't like to be obsessive. When I happened to check my levels one morning, ~3 mo. after starting the above regimen, they were in the low 60s! I rechecked that reading several times, because I hadn't been expecting such a drastic improvement in so short a period (actually, I was just hoping it would be under 100). But the redundant readings were all in the 60s, which was thrilling.

I was curious to see whether, if I cheated and ate something bad, my morning BG levels would shoot back up. So, one night, I had a few shots of liquor and some sugar-containing dessert, and had them both late at night with a late dinner. The following morning, I measured my BG, and it was still in the 70s! Now, I have to restrain myself from cheating, knowing that my body has experienced some level of healing, and can actually handle the occasional cheat.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Today my Blood Sugar reading was 100. I have had a couple of fasting glucose tests show up in the 90s over the past week or two. I have been no grains, dairy, and sugar since I discivered the PB way of life just before Christmas. I was put on ACTOS about two weeks prior and I hated the side effects. I am off of it now about the end of the second week in January. Prior to going on ACTOS, my morning fasting blood sugar was around 170, sometimes higher.

I mostly the change in the space of about 5 weeks to quitting breads and most all other simple carbs. I will eat handsful of baby carrots and celery with other veggies. I was a serial grazer and I replaced my simple carbs first with nuts then with the veggies. I took myself off breads in two stages. I kept my morning breakfast toast then I cut it down to one slice then none. I don't miss it, but think about my jelly or peanut butter. =|
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Wifey_ View Post
    I have a huge family history of diabetes & had gestational diabetes with my son (born Apr 2010). Since then I've been on occasion checking my fasting BG at the recommendation of my doc. It started creeping up to the 110s which was my motivation to move to full time primal. I'm curious, for those of you that have had higher fasting BG, how long did it take to get to a normal/healthy range? I've been going full time for almost a month now (still working on moving slowly more often) & my BG is down to the low 100s, but I'd really like for it to be in the low 80s before we get pregnant again so that my OB/endocrinologist doesn't put me on insulin. Any tips would be appreciated as well!
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar
    How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn? (and Why It’s Not About Calories Anyway) | Mark's Daily Apple
    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Look into intermittant fasting? One of the claims is that it improves blood glucose levels.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on 9/15/11. My blood glucose was over 500 and my a1c was a whopping 11. Today, I am off all my meds (metformin and januvia), my avergae glucose reading is around 90, and my last a1c was 5.5. It takes about 2 months to really see the big change, and I was also eating about 30 gm of carbs a day. Also IF once a week (dinner to next dinner).

you can do it!!!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone! I do short fasts (dinner to late lunch) right now, but I'm nervous to try a 24 hr fast since I'm nursing. Anyone have experience with longer fasts & nursing - did you have any problems with supply?