Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains... Is this right? (Critique of my plan please) page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Leangains... Is this right? (Critique of my plan please)

Okay, this leangains this is exactly my thang and I'm totally into it (and have sorta been doing it for a while now).

11pm to 7am (Sleep Fast)
    7am to 2pm (More Fast)
    2pm - Whey Protein Shake + Fish Oil and Potassium
    5:30pm - Dinner (Always paleo Approved except for 2x a month = Carb Reload)
    7:00pm - Training (Sunday, Tuesdays, & Thursdays)
    other than that fast until 2pm

So my daily fast will be about 6pm to 2pm (broke for protein shake)

I've been told I am over-training and need to give myself time for rest and recover so I think Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday would be good days for training (heavy lifting, etc). Two times a month I will do a carb refeed on a Thursday to throw things up.

How would you rate this plan?

I am floating between 200 and 204 lbs and want to get down further (well honestly don't give an eff about the number)... I just wanna loose more fat (thighs and belly especially) and gain more muscle. Only a couple years ago I was pushing 300 lbs.
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Oh and what is BCAA? Can i purchase it at like a regular pharmacy where I get my other supplements?

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

MikeFlyMike is offline Junior Member
    Branch Chain Amino Acids

Quote Originally Posted by mikebyron View Post
    Branch Chain Amino Acids
    Are they like... in pill form? Where do I get them?

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,
    BCAA comes in powder or pill form. You can get it just about anywhere. It often also contains l-glutamine.
    Be aware that many of the powders come with sucralose, so check the labels. Vitamins Shoppe seems to have a decent one.
    I just discovered leangains as well. I'm trying to figure it all out too.
    Have you figured out the workout yet?
    sg

Well i figured the workout would be the same as the primal approved workout... heavy lifting, short but sweet, squats, deadlifts, etc...

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'm no Leangains guru, but the outlines look good to me.

feren6 is offline Member
    Leangains isn't just about fasting. You need to cycle your macronutrients on the rest/workout days to promote fat loss and then muscle growth. So you say you're only doing carb refeeds twice per month, when on Leangains you should be doing them on every workout day. So for example, on workout days you'd eat high protein high carb with little to no fat, and on rest days just eat regular Primal with less than 100 carbs a day.

I've been doing it for about a month and my results aren't the best, but I'm also not counting my calories. Here's the perfect link to figure out your needs based on the day Leangains style: IF Calculator

If you want to change your body composition, it's usually a 20/20 split, meaning you're eating 20% less calories than maintenance on rest days and 20% more on workoutdays (the carb heavy days). Most people if bulking do 10/30..30/10 seems ridiculous imo but maybe 20/10 could work well for you if you're still trying to lose more weight.

You should get the BCAAs in powder form..I'm using Xtend Watermelon flavor and that stuff tastes DELICIOUS. I actually look forward to drinking it pre-workout while fasted.

Anyways, I hope this helps you out and clears up some things for you. Keep in mind that white rice is your best friend for post workout meals..hitting your macros without rice is going to be extremely difficult (at least it is for me). Good luck!

So on workout days I should be doing high carb, low fat, high protein...
    and then on regular days I should be doing low carb, high fat, high protein...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wonder about this stuff. I'm just straight up losing weight while trying to keep up my strength, so I can go back on SS without buying a whole new work wardrobe. I've lost maybe 15 lb in about 6 weeks, eating between noon and 8 and generally keeping carbs low, and doing the lifts from SS but usually not making them all so not progressing in weight. It's kind of a cut rate, non-obsessive leangainsy plan of my own. I'm always sore after workouts now whereas when I was eating enough to fuel the gains I was never sore.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast