Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dairy Dilemma! page

Evita is offline Senior Member

Cool The Dairy Dilemma!

When someone "cuts out" dairy and finds magical weight loss has ensued- is that just from calorie reduction ( due to not eating , cheese, butter, etc etc etc) or is dairy really straight up the devil and will cause weight gain?

Thoughts & personal experience anyone? I know people also claim other health benefits such as reduced bloating, skin etc etc.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    High lactose dairy can cause large insulin spikes which can set off sugar cravings. Cow's milk casein (protein) can cause inflammation and irritate the gut, also the exorphins released can be addictive, causing highs followed by lows with sugar cravings.

There's a lot of individual variation. I find that low-lactose goat's cheese and butter aid fat loss and muscle gain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Well for one,I think "drinking your calories" is a great way to gain weight,and if you drink a lot of milk and suddenly replace that with water or tea you'll be cutting out a lot of extra calories and so on.Personally I never really drank much milk,but going so far as to cut out whole cheese and butter is something I refuse to do,even if it would help me lose weight somehow.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Well for one,I think "drinking your calories" is a great way to gain weight,and if you drink a lot of milk and suddenly replace that with water or tea you'll be cutting out a lot of extra calories and so on.Personally I never really drank much milk,but going so far as to cut out whole cheese and butter is something I refuse to do,even if it would help me lose weight somehow.
    I agree about drinking calories. Also, drinking milk in teas and coffees in between meals is snacking, and snacking is best avoided.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends. Some cut dairy and do not replace those calories with other foods. Some do. Personally, I haven't cut dairy - I handle it fine. I generally don't drink milk, though. Most of my dairy is yogurt, butter, cheese, a splash of heavy cream in my tea - and the occasional ice cream. The bulk of my consumption is cheese and butter, so perhaps that may be why I've not had much issue with it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Some people find they are not as tolerant of certain foods like dairy as they thought. Hidden intolerances can hinder weight loss because they of inflammation and stress on the body.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I cut out heavy cream, which I used to have in tea quite a lot in the mornings, never really realizing I was basically eating through my fast. Now it's just straight up tea and I leave the cream for after I've eaten (if I feel like it, haven't had it in quite a while actually) and I've noticed a bit of fat loss but I wouldn't say cream is EVIL, it's just best not abused, as with everything.

For what it's worth, I use butter in cooking quite a lot, never make greens without butter..

corndogibm is offline Junior Member
    I really need to ask how much are we talking here? My max is about two fluid ounces a day of half & half in my coffee, or a couple of pats of Kerrygold in my BP coffee, and that is it. Is that going to inhibit my weight loss goals? Maybe a stick of string cheese a couple times a week with lunch. I would really like to know how much other posters are consuming a day (if any) in grams, ounces or cups? For me, I am still losing weight weekly towards my goal and consuming dairy, but I think it is considered very little per day. Thoughts?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I cut out all dairy except butter for a paleo challenge at my gym. Looking through my food logs, I'm pretty sure I've replaced that intake with other foods (I don't track calories though). I have lost nine pounds and quite a bit of fat, and this weekend I fit into a fabulous, very slim tailored wool dress that I haven't been able to wear in four years. Three weeks ago when I tried to zip it up, there was no way it was going to go, but on Sunday when I went to put it on for a formal brunch, it zipped with no problems at all, and I got loads of compliments (and some shocked faces at my plate piled with eggs, bacon, more bacon, and fruit).

I think dairy is okay for me for maintenance, but I was stalled for a while, and dropping dairy seems to have done the trick to get my fat loss going again. I have not cut back carbs--if anything, I may be eating more since I was using mainly cream, Greek yogurt, and full-fat cheese, which I think I've replaced with more (gasp!) paleo baking in the form of banana-cado pudding, pumpkin custard, and so on. My avocado intake is definitely up from where it was, as is my fruit intake in general.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I cut out dairy because only 1tbsp of heavy cream and 2oz of 2% milk every morning in my coffee
    would leave me with a stuffy, runny nose and a sneezing MESS all freaking day. Seriously, snot faucet,
    from THAT LITTLE DAIRY! So lame!

I really didn't believe it, but after even only 3 days without that in my coffee, I was kleenex and nasal spray
    free. Ho hum.

Replaced it with 40g of canned (thick stuff) coconut milk instead now and still snot faucet free.

I didn't experience any weight drop from it though, so obviously the only part of my body that was
    allergic to it was the sinuses, and the caloric difference from dairy to coconut milk was nil.

I don't miss the dairy, and I certainly don't miss putting Kleenex's children through college.

Julie

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast