Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dairy Dilemma! page 3

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    IMHO, its the carbs in dairy that stalls fat loss. One greek yogurt has something like 45g of carbs, which is enough to increase my daily carb intake by 50%. That's a lot!

It's made a difference for me to drop the yogurt, for now. I'll add it back in when I reach my weight goal.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyjim View Post
    IMHO, its the carbs in dairy that stalls fat loss. One greek yogurt has something like 45g of carbs, which is enough to increase my daily carb intake by 50%. That's a lot!

It's made a difference for me to drop the yogurt, for now. I'll add it back in when I reach my weight goal.
    Whoa, what Greek yogurt are you eating?! The stuff in our fridge (10% fat) has 8g of carbs per 175g (3/4 cup) serving.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyjim View Post

I don't know what type of Greek Yogurt you are buying BUT... it should NOT have that many carbs!!!

For instance Cabot Plain Greek style Yogurt (10% fat) has only 12g total carb per cup.
    Greek-Style Yogurt : Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
    I've pretty much given up on other brands as they have all gone to 0-2% crap.

Read labels... don't buy the stuff full of additives, sweeteners, etc. and you may have better luck with it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, guess I need to do some label comparisons. Thanks!

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I was primal for a year and didn't lose any weight until a couple months ago when I dropped my dairy intake and upped my veggie intake. I love milk, cream, yogurt, all of it. I would use yogurt and whole milk regularly in daily smoothies. Decided to stop doing that and now I use a little kefir along with mineral water in smoothies, or just coconut milk mixed with mineral water. I still cook with lots of butter and use heavy cream in my tea. I started eating more greens and use those in my smoothies too. Dropped about 10 lbs and a pant size. I'm happy now.
    Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    I cut out all low fat dairy, but use copious amts of half and half and butter. The casein levels in those are low enough to not be a problem. As for cheese, I eat very small amounts of organic raw milk goat, sheep and cow cheeses, as condiments like a bit of blue cheese on a salad, or some cheddar grated over paleo chili. Any more than that I get constipated, and if I eat cheese in a restaraunt my skin complains. It took a while to figure this out. I did whole30 with heavy whipping cream and was fine. Am allergic to coconut, so my moo fat is important. You just have to eliminate all and add back and test.

I might add that I lost 45 lbs on a moderate protein, low fat dairy, lots of vegetables, but low carb ones, using nothing but olive oil for cooking. I probably ate, in any given day, an ounce of cheese at breakfast, another at lunch and string cheese as snacks. No yogurt however. That amount of cheese needed Metamucil as an accompaniment. When I decided to up the fat, lower the lactose and swap out 1% milk with half and half I felt a lot better. No need for fake fiber.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 02-08-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Pigevil is offline Member
    I guess when it comes to dairy, it depends on the person.
    My family and I eat dairy daily. I have been eating dairy daily since the day I was born (of course I drank mother's milk when I was a baby). We never had problems with it. Never gained weight from it or developed any allergies or diseases from it. Never feel bloated when eating it. Nobody in my family, including extended family, has diabetes.
    We only use raw grass-fed or organic unhomogenized grass-fed pasteurized (never ultra-pasteurized) whole milk and cream.

We never drink glasses of milk. The first time I saw people drinking glasses of milk was when I arrived to the US.
    However, we eat homemade yogurt and raw cheese pretty much everyday. We mostly eat raw sheep's and raw goat's cheese. But we also eat cheese from made from cow's milk. We also put cream or whole milk in tea and hot chocolate. And homemade whipped cream on top of the hot chocolate! Yum. And of course we use pasture butter to cook.

I guess is different for others who cannot handle the sugars and proteins in milk.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    IMO raw makes a HUGE difference.

I've been severely lactose intolerant for about 10 years... so I limited my dairy intake to very occasional hard cheese, plain very tart yogurt (I've been eating Greek for much longer than most people), and very small amounts of heavy cream.

Recently I had the opportunity to swap to raw, local, pastured, grass fed milk and cream. I had heard that many lactose intolerant people can drink this raw milk so I gave it a try... and while the first glass made my stomach feel a bit challenged, I did NOT get sick at all. Normally drinking that amount (about a cup and a half) of pasteurized/homogenized milk would have me cramped, gassy, and nauseous within an hour... needing to be very near a bathroom for the next 24 hours (that milk also tasted very bad to me, like cow sweat). I had NONE of those symptoms and the raw tastes wonderful...
    That said I don't consume dairy daily. And so far I haven't had issues with it in order to consider removing it.

I think that industrialized processed milk is just bad stuff... just like the industrialized grains those cows are fed with.

Of course, as usual... YMMV.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-08-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Cutting out hard cheese and low fat artiificially sweetened yogurt = good thing for me, as I used to binge on both. I was never a butter person, and wil never be.
    I bough kefir grains and started making my own kefir and quark. I cut it out hoping to magically lose weight, but that did not happen & nasal drip was not afffected (my other hope). I am not eating dairy atm & I do not know if I should put kefir and quark back. I just don't know if there is some subtle impact I did not notice?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    It's too early for me to tell about weight loss, but I definitely respond better to higher quality dairy -- specifically, low-temperature pasteurized varieties, as raw milk is illegal in my state. The heavy cream you get in your coffee at Starbucks (assuming it's ultra-pasteurized) sends me to the restroom but Strauss Family Dairy cream does not.

I just got a new kefir culture in the mail -- I'm interested in seeing how that affects my results, and many studies appear to support that yogurt aids in weight loss. Could be a lifestyle choice kind of thing, or it could be the probiotics. But the good thing about kefir is that it's not only probiotic, but the cultures consume a lot of the lactose and add additional nutrients, like B vitamins. Plus you can control the quality of milk you use to make it.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast