Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dairy Dilemma! page 2

wooty is offline Member
    Shop Now
    this is something i'll have to try. i'm a fruit junkie, and the last few weeks have gotten my fruit consumption down to 1, maybe 2 servings a day of either berries or grapefruit. to deal with the cravings, though, i have been eating a lot more heavy cream, greek yogurt, and homemade kefir. i notice more bloating, and am certainly not losing any fat. time to slowly dial back dairy!

mmapags is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    High lactose dairy can cause large insulin spikes which can set off sugar cravings. Cow's milk casein (protein) can cause inflammation and irritate the gut, also the exorphins released can be addictive, causing highs followed by lows with sugar cravings.

There's a lot of individual variation. I find that low-lactose goat's cheese and butter aid fat loss and muscle gain.
    This. Plus lactose is more difficult to digest as we age and don't produce lactase. Lactose is a saccharid (type of sugar) that is not meant to be digested by humans in large amounts. Trying to digest it can cause bloating. Form amny, when they eliminate cow's milk, the bloating clears thier system in a week or two and "bingo!" the weight goes down! Magic!

Like Paleo-Bunny, I am a fan of goat milk products. I put goat milk and goat milk yogurt in my protein shakes and make goat cheese. Much lower lactose, small fat globules and easier to break down, much lower in sugar and no bloating. The most similar food to human breast milk.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I just wish that goat's milk didn't have that "barnyard" aftertaste.

Tastes so good going down, but then, blech!

Could just be me though.

Quote Originally Posted by corndogibm View Post
    I really need to ask how much are we talking here? My max is about two fluid ounces a day of half & half in my coffee, or a couple of pats of Kerrygold in my BP coffee, and that is it. Is that going to inhibit my weight loss goals? Maybe a stick of string cheese a couple times a week with lunch. I would really like to know how much other posters are consuming a day (if any) in grams, ounces or cups? For me, I am still losing weight weekly towards my goal and consuming dairy, but I think it is considered very little per day. Thoughts?
    Short answer. Probably not. You are not consuming enouhg to make a difference and if you are having no issues with bloating or gas or other types of inflammation then I'd say good to go. Back when I was discovered to have a lactose sensitivity 8 years ago, anthing with cow's milk would set it off. Iwasn't drinking a lot of milk but a little in my coffee and maybe a slice of cheese with lunch and that was it. For me that was too much but that's an extreme. BTW, butter and yogurt tend not to be culprits. The butter making process and the fermentation of yogurt solves most of the problem.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I think it all depends on the person, and what you are comfortable eating. Myself, I pop a few ounces of heavy cream when I need to boost my fat intake. I also drink a cup of whole milk an hour or so after my workouts. I eat cheese as well and lots of butter. I haven't had an issue with weight loss slowing. Now, a tequila binge usually sets me back a couple of days though... (Crystal Light came out with a sugar-free margarita-flavored mix that works real well with tequila)
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post

Could just be me though.
    I know what you mean. My kids say it tastes "hairy"! Too funny. I tend not to drink it straight so I don't really notice. It's always converted to yogurt or cheese that I make myself or mixed in a protien shake.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it's probably a combo of things, and different reasons for different people. I've never noticed anything unpleasant resulting from dairy, but it's high calorie and easy to overdo. I agree 100% on the liquid calories thing. Liquid calories are for gaining weight, not losing it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post

Could just be me though.
    Indeed, goat's cheese does have a very pungent flavour and is one of those 'love it or hate it' foods'. I'm lucky to adore it. Goat's cheddar has a wonderful clean sweet taste and I find it less pungent that the semi-matured goats' cheeses that come in log form and have a brie-like quality.

Sheeps' cheeses tend to have a milder flavour and are also generally tolerated as well as goat's cheeses. Unfortunately, they're generally harder to come by and usually more expensive. I particularly like 'Osseau Iraty' from the French Pyrenees.

I seem to tolerate Buffalo mozarella quite well, though I've stopped eating that, due to thinking that buffalo must be closely related to cattle.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I think for me, dairy is addictive in the form of cheese, and once I start eating it I can't stop craving it enough. This happens to me with any kind of cheese, including sheep and goat.

Also I heard that the protein in dairy is insulin-spiking regardless of whether or not there is lactose. Not sure of the science behind that though.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Even a couple of BP coffees a day (with butter) is enough dairy to stall weight loss and make me very bloated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast