Thread: Are fiber gummies unhealthy? Are they okay to take? page

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Because of a surgery I had, I must take 1,000mg of Calcium per day. All that Calcium results in a bad constipation problem. I just can't get enough fiber from food alone to fix this. I started taking the fiber powder "Psyllium Husk", but I got sick of the horrible taste in my mouth every morning.

I found these fiber gummies online, and I know they are not primal (lol). But, I wanted to know if they are unhealthy or if it's going to "mess up" my diet efforts in any way. Can anyone please help???

Here are the ingredients: Polydextrose, Xylitol, Gelatin, Natural Flavors, Malic Acid, Colors (black carrot juice extract, Carrot Juice, Blueberry Juice, Annatto Extract), Sucralose, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Beeswax

Serving Size: 2 Gummies

Servings Per Container: 45

Calories: 10

Total Carbohydrate + 5 g 2%

Dietary fiber + 5 g 20%

Soluble fiber * 5 g

Sugar alcohol * 1 g

THANKS!!!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

If I felt I needed more fiber, I'd probably try increasing non-starchy veggies before considering a supplement.

Are you taking magnesium too? Many believe that you should also be supplementing magnesium if you're taking calcium.

A side effect of most forms of magnesium is that they can treat and prevent constipation. So you might want to consider adding magnesium citrate or another mag supplement. Taken in the evenings, it may also help you get more restful sleep.

Note: avoid magnesium oxide. It is poorly absorbed and can contribute to constipation.

Another way to avoid constipation is to up your fat intake. How many grams of fat are you averaging per day?

Prowler Guest

Though not primal, those are not likely to harm you or impact your blood glucose and insulin levels. Polydextrose is a non-glycemic fiber, and xylitol is a polyol with a glycemic index somewhere below 10.

In short, though not primal in spirit, these gummies look pretty harmless to me.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I second the fat recommendation. I was getting a lot of fiber when I started with the Paleo diet, but not a lot of fat (thankfully that's behind me). It wasn't until I ate a bunch of avocado that I was able to clear that backup (sorry for any visuals that may pop up from that).

Pikaia,

I have never heard of taking magnesium while taking Calcium. I'm definitely going to do some research! As far as my fat intake, I don't know for sure. I spend so much time counting my protein and carbs every day that I forget about the "fat" part of my diet. I'll tell you for sure that it is not a lot. I am too scared to eat olive oil and other fats everyday. I do have some almonds for my breakfast and I get some fat from red meat. Although I only eat red meat about twice a week. If I don't take my calcium supplement, I don't have any constipation problems. But I must take it everyday (according to my surgeon).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

These comments are so helpful! Thank you all very much! Anyone else?