Thread: Stuck! page

lucy74 is offline Junior Member

Stuck!

Hello!

I could really use some input to improve my health and get over the weight loss plateau I seem to be stuck on. I am working with an ND, but I've gotten so much good information from reading forums, so . . .

The basics: I'm 38yo female, 280 lbs, 5'4". I have polycystic ovarian syndrome with presenting issues as irregular (nonexistent) cycles, continuous/heavy bleeding, low blood sugar issues, anemia, eczema (mild). I ate a "healthy" SAD for years with nothing but more weight gain and more health issues to show for it. I finally started seeing an ND last fall after getting tired of dealing with a string of doctors giving me ineffectual treatments and making me feel like a general failure. My ND put me on a primal/paleo diet and I saw huge change for a few months.

I lost 50 lbs effortlessly without starving myself, I no longer had blood sugar crashes and my energy went through the roof. For some reason though, my weight loss came to a stop in January and I started having menstrual irregularities again. I know healing is a journey, but I want to sit down and cry! I still have good energy and no blood sugar drops and I have NO intention of going back to how I used to eat, but I am frustrated.

I'd love some suggestions for diet/lifestyle tweaking. I know weight loss plateaus are common, but it's been a month and I have a LOT of weight to lose, so I didn't figure on slowing down this soon. As an aside, I'm begrudgingly happy to report my husband joined me in primal eating and has lost 60 lbs with no signs of stopping.

Here's the details:

Diet: I eat almost all organic fruits/veg and nearly 100% of our protein is grass/pasture fed. In January, I ate no sugar at all, outside of a piece of fruit daily and probably averaged 50g carbs/day. I think my calories varied pretty widely depending on my hunger (1200-2300 cal/day), based on a few days of Fitday input. I eat some grass fed dairy, mostly cream in coffee most mornings, butter and a small amount of cheese maybe a couple times a week.

A sample day, like today's menu, for me would be 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, handful of pistachios for a snack, big salad for lunch with a chicken thigh and two more eggs, blueberries for a snack and beef chili and sauteed chard for dinner.

Activity: I'm not very active. I have improved this and am walking 1-3 times per week. As part of a plan to reduce work stress, I've recently been getting out of my chair and walking around the building as well. Exercise and me don't have a good relationship (insert emotional baggage here), but I'm open to adding more and for the first time since childhood, I actually have the energy!

Other stuff: I have a VERY stressful job--I love it though and I am working on managing stress. I also just got black out curtains for the bedroom after reading more about darkness and hormone regulation. I get about 7 hours of sleep most nights and I have a routine of winding down 1-2 hours before bedtime, which includes not being on the computer. Prescribed by my ND, I currently take Synthriod (88mg), multivitamin, iron, vit D and inositol (2000mg).

Much thanks,

Lucy

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    What you are eating sounds pretty good, maybe dial back on the fruit and your breakfast would make a decent appetizer for me so perhaps you could try having larger regular meals and no snacking inbetween. As for sleep and stress issues, for me they largely resolved themselves when I started eating primally.

Good luck.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Keep up and increase the walking. It will help with weight loss and with stress. Once you are walking more often then you can look at adding lifting and sprinting.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would expect Grizz to be along shortly. You might want to look through the Iodine thread.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45205.html

You may want to do a google search on iodine deficiency and pcos. Seems there is a link, and since you also have thyroid problems, I'm guessing there's a link for you there somewhere.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You lost 50lbs which was good. Now you need to change things up to keep the losses happening. I would introduce more exercise.
    Your ND probably told you about iodine as they would know hopefully.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    You are prime-candidate for the Leptin-reset. hormOnal issues and high body weight indicates major hormonal issues that are slowly sorting itself out. You can speed up this process. You need to eat a far bigger breakfast within 30 min of rising, no snacking in between your main-meals, lots of CO and only walking for exersice until you show signs of improvement. To me it seems you're not eating enough, and your brekkie is far too small.

lucy74 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    You are prime-candidate for the Leptin-reset. hormOnal issues and high body weight indicates major hormonal issues that are slowly sorting itself out. You can speed up this process. You need to eat a far bigger breakfast within 30 min of rising, no snacking in between your main-meals, lots of CO and only walking for exersice until you show signs of improvement. To me it seems you're not eating enough, and your brekkie is far too small.
    What's CO?

I'll have to look more into leptin reset, I've seen it mentioned but haven't looked much into it. I do have a question though . . . I have to take a thyroid med and then wait 60 minutes to eat. Would that be an issue?
    Last edited by lucy74; 02-07-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    CO is coconut oil. Lots and lots of the Leptin-resetters are on thyroid-meds. This is a major reason you need to sort out your master-hormone, Leptin, before anything else. Your weightloss might be slow, but you willbe healthy and fit at the end of this. I've lost 47 pounds of FAT in 8 months. I have a little more to go, but I feel amazing. Still working on health issues like leaky gut, but overall I can feel my body healing. I have PCO too.