Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie..1 month Primal now and discouraged. Advice anyone??? page

tamosy is offline Junior Member

Newbie..1 month Primal now and discouraged. Advice anyone???

Me:
    I have PCOS and have had issues with hormone imbalances since puberty. Iíve pretty much tried every diet out there with mixed results. I definitely find as I age (Iím 38) it is getting noticeably harder to shed excess weight. I am 5í8Ē and would like to get down to around 170lbs. I am currently around 205 fluctuating up and down by a few pounds. Feeling frustrated that I havenít seen any loss at all after a month of eating primally and even making adjustments based on what I have read in these blogs.

The POSITIVE things Iíve seen since going primal: I had a period with minimal cramping, good mood, and it actually came about 4 weeks after my previous one. Iím pretty sure I felt myself ovulate last week and am experiencing mild PMS symptoms to indicate I will get a 2nd cycle ďon timeĒ. This is huge considering it was typical to go between 3 and 6 months in between periods prior to these dietary changes. I feel really good. I sleep better than before. I have a lot more energy and have stopped taking any medication for ADHD symptoms, because I feel able to focus well enough without them and HATE how they make me feel. SoÖÖ..I have LOTS of things to feel good about and to keep me motivated to stay the course.

The NEGATIVE, I canít seem to lose anything. I have cut out all grains. After two weeks of no results I removed dairy. I donít seem to have any intolerance to it, but wondered if my insulin levels were affected by it. After another week with no results, I decided to strictly monitor my nut intake. I give myself Ĺ cup of walnuts/almonds per week. Still nothing, no change. I actually weighed in this morning more than when I started a month ago by a smidge. My partner is doing this with me and cheating at least her 20%. I am not cheating at all and prepare all our meals from scratch so I know what we are getting. I have had a few servings of fruits (maybe on 3 or 4 occasions I have had some blackberries Ö pretty much, I eat meats (that adhere to primal standards), eggs, vegetables (lots of salads with olive oil, vinegar dressing), and healthy fats. I donít eat large portions, I am fairly certain that I am consuming less calories (or maybe the same) as I was when I started. She has lost about 6 poundsÖme nothing 

I am staying the course because I know health wise, I feel better. I am exercising, but Iíve always been fairly active. I play volleyball and softball weekly and have been fitting in Markís recommendations for body weight bearing exercises. I donít really notice my clothes fitting differently.

Do I just need to be more patient? Should I start counting calories? I am going to make an appt. for my annual checkup, are there certain tests I should ask for to get more answers. I am not looking for a quick fix, but Iíd really like to have some hope that I can eventually reach a normal weight and be able to stay there by adopting this lifestyle.

Any and all advice welcomeÖ Thank you and sorry for the novella!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    You are getting the benefits, but I can understand your frustration at not losing any weight. Are you exercising? That was the key for me. And count your carbs for a few days, I try to keep mine under 30 an always under 50.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

missblue is offline Senior Member
    As you said yourself, you've been having hormone issues and done a lot of dieting shifts.
    It takes longer than one month to reset and heal for some of us. My husband is dropping weight like crazy on primal and I am not even though I also do not cheat and he does. He does a lot. I'm losing, but slowly and with some setbacks also due to hormones.

Still, I think you are getting some strong positive results and you should focus on that. The weight loss will come, especially if you do add in an exercise component if needed. Feeling good is sexy too--the pounds will come off and just make you that much more fabulous in the end.
    Most importantly, don't give up and keep working the program!

tamosy is offline Junior Member
    I am excercising. I play softball 2 times per week (one practice and 1 game) and I play volley ball once per week. I do get at least the minimal 3 hours per week of slow exercise (probably a lot more) and I am bringing more weightbearing exercises into my routine...following the 21 day principal.

I could "push myself" harder than I am. Maybe power walk more intensely a few times a week.

I will really monitor my activities and see where I can improve. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Just keep following the plan as written in the book. Do not make any changes until you have been on the program for several months. Your body needs to heal itself. I would not even read the PCOS threads if I were you. When I started I ate up to 100 carbs a day, the PCOS threads will tell you go VLC right away.

Good Luck.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree, do give it more time... for those with significant health issues it generally takes a longer to heal the body and metabolism before seeing any significant weight loss. It seems PCOS is generally responsive to primal and VLC initially. If you feel you have the energy for more low-level activity then go for it.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

soon2beslinky is offline Junior Member
    I would drop the fruit completely until you're at least halfway to goal. Fruit is healthy but still SUGAR........

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i agree to avoid fruit, dairy, nuts for now .. and stick with it .. your body is adjusting and you are seeing some VERY positive results imho ... you just are waiting for the weight loss to kick in ... and you are probably building muscle with the excercise (remember that weighs more than fat) .. are you feeling stronger?
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    ps- remember it takes some longer to let the body change ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

GigiLaPatate is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi - I would also say just hang in there, be patient, and enjoy the other benefits you're getting. I am in a similar situation - I have been primal for 2 months and have lost zero pounds. I am 5'10.5" and weigh 215 and am just stuck at that weight at the present. It has been extremely frustrating, especially reading all those incredible stories of people shedding weight. I have to admit, though, that I haven't been 100% primal, have struggled with staying low carb, and have had some binges, but on the plus side, I have't gained any weight either.

I started the leptin reset (jackkruse.com) and that helped me tremendously in getting over carb cravings and to stop snacking. The leptin reset thread, under the "nutrition" tab, is helpful - there are other women like us who have a hard time losing weight. I think it's due to hormonal issues that in some cases leptin reset can help.

So right now I'm just focussing on the fact that I feel so much better on the primal diet . . . hope you can hang in there and find solutions for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast