Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To track or not to track page

Grausel is offline Junior Member

To track or not to track

Shop Now
    I've been eating primal for a few months now and while I feel ok I haven't noticed much change in my body. And I have a lot of weight to lose so it's pretty frustrating not to see any progress, even after a Whole30. From what I've been reading tracking everything eaten isn't the norm for most people following the PB, but all I can think of is that I'm eating too much so maybe I should go back to journaling everything I eat? It's such a pain but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do you guys journal?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I don't. Some people find it helpful.

If you post your diet, exercise, stress, medical conditions, etc. people are pretty willing to give suggestions from their experience.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I tracked for almost a week on fitday.com simply to give myself a true idea of what 50-100g carbs looked/felt like, and to make sure I was getting enough protein not to lose muscle and enough fat intake to lose fat! I only track once every couple of weeks now just to make sure I'm still in ballpark range.
    It was incredibly beneficial and educational for me to set that solidly in my mind. That said, it is a pain in the butt and I prefer not to do it often!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Boopy is offline Member
    I'm new to this and decided to track using The Daily Plate so that I could be more certain of proper portions, etc. I think tracking can be a helpful tool particularly if you're new or not getting the results you expected. I certainly am aiming to be able to give up tracking in maintenance, hopefully by then I'll have learned how much I should be eating.
    44 year-old chick, 5'8"-ish, 2/6/12 Start Weight: 189.2
    My boopy stuff: MDA journal | Daily Plate

Grausel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I don't. Some people find it helpful.

If you post your diet, exercise, stress, medical conditions, etc. people are pretty willing to give suggestions from their experience.
    Thanks

Here's what I'm eating today.
    Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in butter with a handful of spinach and a couple tablespoons of salsa, one cup of coffee with a splash of
    cream.
    Lunch: leftover chicken curry with vegetables (curry sauce made with homemade chicken stock & coconut milk) over zucchini
    noodles & 1/2 an avocado
    Dinner: green pepper steak over a cup of cauli rice

I did a strength training class this morning using free weights (do this 2x a week) and I usually walk about 3 miles 2-3x a week also. No medications other than a prenatal vitamin as we are trying for baby#2 later this year.

Thanks and I'd love to hear more of your thoughts!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I also don't think you're eating too much.

I don't journal everything I eat though I pay attention to the affects of certain foods. I notice if I consume too much dairy I bloat in the lower back. If I cheat and have a beer I gain water weight for the next two days, etc.

Also, could it be that you are making progress in other ways that aren't as noticeable? Do your clothes fit better? Have you lost inches in other not-so-noticeable places? When you get discouraged the best place to focus your attention is on the small steps of progress towards a larger reward.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you track on livestrong or fit day, you can see your calorie counts. I try and be disciplined about measuring my fats. Did you cook your eggs in 50 calories of butter or 200 calories? How much is a splash of cream? I know we are supposed to eat fat, but for weight loss, you need to eat calories, so fat can't be unlimited.

It doesn't look like you are eating to much- your breakfast is probably 300 calories or so, lunch and dinner is hard to tell- did you eat 3 cups of curry or 1? Does the cauliflower rice have 2T of butter in it? It seems like the meals are on the right track- so maybe you are just eating too much of a good thing.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think if you track for a couple of weeks, it will be helpful, because then you can play with your macro ranges and calories to see what will make you lose weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grausel View Post
    Thanks

Here's what I'm eating today.
    Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in butter with a handful of spinach and a couple tablespoons of salsa, one cup of coffee with a splash of
    cream.
    Lunch: leftover chicken curry with vegetables (curry sauce made with homemade chicken stock & coconut milk) over zucchini
    noodles & 1/2 an avocado
    Dinner: green pepper steak over a cup of cauli rice

I did a strength training class this morning using free weights (do this 2x a week) and I usually walk about 3 miles 2-3x a week also. No medications other than a prenatal vitamin as we are trying for baby#2 later this year.

Thanks and I'd love to hear more of your thoughts!
    That sounds really squared away. If you really have a lot to lose(height/weight?) you might consider a thyroid workup(as much to get views from people on here than your doctors-thyroid stuff can be tricky but there are some people on here who have seen it all).

If by "a lot to lose" you mean 10lbs, you are likely going to need to count calories, or otherwise restrict them.

For reference, have you tried:

IF
    Sprinting
    Leptin Reset

?

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

How's your sleep and stress?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast