Thread: Infographic Of The Day: America’s Strange Attitudes Toward Food page

jak757 is offline Member

Infographic Of The Day: America’s Strange Attitudes Toward Food

Shop Now
    "AMERICANS ACTUALLY DON'T EAT THAT MANY MORE CALORIES THAN OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES. BUT WE PAY A LOT LESS FOR OUR FOOD." -- and our obesity rate is so much higher too!

This article and "infographic" does a nice job of supporting turning against the SAD.

Infographic Of The Day: America

Thanks to all in PB land who have opened my eyes to such things!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    I wonder why this is... A similar number of calories, but dramatic differences in money spent on food could mean Americans buy cheaper food that is lower quality, but still too caloric. Europeans then probably buy more expensive food. But where do their calories come from? More animal products consumed in Europe (since they are more caloric) and more cheap carbs in the US? Or simply higher prices of food in Europe. Anyway, I am European - Bulgarian to be more specific. My country wasn't included in that study, but I can assure you present-day Bulgarians eat little better than present-day Europeans. For one thing, food is way too expensive here and incomes are way too low, so about half (50%) of a family's combined income is usually spent on food. What is more, Bulgarians tend to buy cheaper foods, which means both lower quality and more bread, starches and beans, less vegetables/fruit, less meat and eggs, less dairy. I, with my eating habits, am a notable exception to this rule I don't think a Bulgarian consumes that many calories on an average day, probably a couple hundred less. But the fast food industry has flourished these past 10-15 years, processed foods have invaded the market, people work longer and longer hours and spend less and less time on cooking. And obesity, heart disease and cancer rates are certainly increasing.

Bottomline, the article may be correct in that food prices and incomes determine what food you buy and how it affects your health. I just didn't know food was that cheap in the US
    Last edited by Sol y Sombra; 02-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    Bottomline, the article may be correct in that food prices and incomes determine what food you buy and how it affects your health. I just didn't know food was that cheap in the US
    It is cheap here and all people complain about is how expensive food prices are... they have no idea
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    It can hardly be this cheap - if you eat 3000 calories a day only from cheap food, that's a whole lot of food, isn't it? So the problem must be overeating then? Well, of course, if people are advised to eat 6-8 servings of grains and have potatoes ,sodas and canola oil with those, that would explain more. But just large amounts of food? Can it be that simple?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Where is this data from? I doubt its accuracy.

The data is apparently from this:

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
    Last edited by jimhensen; 02-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.

ttwagneriii is offline Junior Member
    The top 3 cash crops in this country are corn, soy, and wheat. Our food is "cheap" in price because the USDA subsdizes these cash crops. It is not cheap when you realize you are paying for it several times over. If you live in the USA, 20 billion of your tax dollars go to direct farm subsidies per year(Farm Subsidies Over Time) . In 2010, it was 26 billion dollars.

It is not cheap when you realize that those same cash crops are responisble for this nation's obesity and health care problems. The cost of Medicare in 2012 was 457 billion dollars. Federal Spending Trends and Federal Budget Trends.

Suddenly $7.00/pound for grass fed beef seems like a bargain!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda.