Thread: Primal Journal (JayHoward) page

JayHoward is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Primal Journal (JayHoward)

Primal Fuel
    Greetings all!

My name is Jason but I also go by Jay as well. Little background about myself. Grew up a lil chubby kid and then began a life-long love affair with sports. Fast forward to middle school, sports year round (football, basketball, track/field). This trend continues through high school playing the same sports year round but at varsity level. Turned down a track/field scholarship to go to Gonzaga University for a better education; Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing and Human Resource Management. Needless to say, my starting weight entering high school was 150lbs and I departed at 155lbs.

As of today, I am at 184.4lbs! A majority of the 30lb increase is fat yet I would approximate 10lbs are muscle. Needless to say, since we all are here in 2012, and for decades to come hopefully, it is the year of no excuses for myself. I want to be in the best physique at any point of my life because I deserve it just like we all do. My goal weight is 150-160lbs by graduation in May!! That gives me about 3 months to drop 20-30 pounds. Doable for sure. Who knows, I may even want to get into the 140 range. I digress, I've already made to transition to being primal and I must say that I still miss some complex carbs but the addition of so many other delicious foods that are fair game keep me satisfied and happy!

My track record in college for when I have been lifting, doing HIIT, and eating clean has been an average of dropping 2-2.5lbs per week so it's just a matter of doing it all consistently. I suppose I am a mesomorph *shrug* I look forward to everyone's progress and want to say thank you in advance for all of your support! By chance, are there any other Groks/Grokettes in the Spokane area or Eastern Washington for that matter? If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Have a great day Monday!
    Treat your star player right. Not sure who it is, look in the mirror. Compliment yourslef, laugh at things that aren't right to laugh at.

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

Day 1

First day has been pretty hectic and long. Could not get my workout in due to my loads of hw but thankfully that is acceptable. Tomorrow for sure. Hunger was not an issue today and as long as I am getting enough fat and protein, I seem to be transitioning just fine.

B: 3 o-3 egg scramble with sautéed kale, onions, and peppers
    S: Celery and almond butter
    L: Smoothie with yogurt, blueberries, and whey protein
    D: Jimmy John's Ultimate Porker Unwich with hot peppers and italian vinaigrette

So far I am remaining in the sweet spot on the carb curve and my fat ranges from 55%-60%, carb no more than 15% and protein 25-30%. Side note, I did make it through the superbowl without a hitch as well!
    Treat your star player right. Not sure who it is, look in the mirror. Compliment yourslef, laugh at things that aren't right to laugh at.

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

Day 2

Still going strong!! I forgot just how difficult bodyweight workouts can be...needless to say, I need to keep losing those pounds because I struggled with my pull ups. Got my workout in and yet again, I didn't have any issues with hunger even though I did not eat lunch! I can already notice a difference in my body composition and my stomach is getting flatter. PB ftw.

B: Trader Joe's Sweet Basil Pesto Chicken/Turkey Sausage 3 egg scramble with sautéed bell peppers and onions plus pesto!
    L: Nothing
    S: Whey protein smoothie with blueberries and yogurt
    D: Kobe beef burger topped with tuna guacamole
    S: Banana cream casein protein shake with almond butter

Disclaimer: I realize that protein shakes are not primal per say, yet I already bought the supplements a month ago and intend to finish them off!

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jay. As for protein shakes, it depends on what's in them. Mark sells them so they must be primal if the ingredients are ok.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist, I figured it would be acceptable as long as the ingredients checked out.

Day 3!

Wednesdays are my crappiest days in terms of classes...total of 4 and I finish at 8pm. Anyways, I am really enjoying the Primal lifestyle and glad I made the transition! If I only knew sooner..

B: Trader Joe's Sweet Basil Pesto Chicken/Turkey Sausage with 2 eggs and sautéed peppers/onions plus mango peach salsa
    L: Whey protein smoothie with blueberries and yogurt
    S: 16 almonds and handful of dried cranberries
    D: Kobe beef burger topped with steamed brocoli/cauliflower topped with butter and pesto

Nothing too crazy today in terms of exercise, just walking everywhere back and forth between home and classes on campus. Tomorrow I'm feeling basketball after class! Happy hump day all

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

I've read this in another thread but some of my housemates insist on inviting me to places like Azteca etc. when they KNOW and are constantly reminded that I no longer eat that junk food! I get a blank look like "oh shit, he is really serious about it, ah okay well i'll try to catch him slippin some other time." I am committed and not going to fall off the bandwagon for one meal that will leave me in pain for days after the fact. I digress, I weighed myself on Tuesday and the scale showed 183.2lb and today, drum roll please... 182lb!! I'd be crazy to give up this lifestyle!! Have an enjoyable Thursday everyone. Grok on

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

Day 5

I love Thursdays! First of all, I only have one class in the morning, yeah buddy! Secondly, Zag basketball in the Kennel is the bees knees especially when you are court side every game!! GU beat St. Mary's tonight, like I had any doubt haha. I was able to get in some quality basketball time earlier today after my class. All in all, today has been great!

B: Nothing (broke my 'fast' 14hrs later)
    S: Nothing
    L: 2 eggs, chicken/turkey sweet basil sausage sautéed with kale, onions, and garlic mmmm!
    D: Grilled peppers and onions with flank steak
    S: Banana Cream casein protein shake

Side note, still sore from my workout earlier in the week. Perfectly fine by me since that means I am doing everything right

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

Day 9

As my weekly ritual, I weighed myself this morning and lo and behold 181.8lbs, 2.6lb loss so far! Probably could have been 3lbs if I did not partake in bar hopping this past weekend with a little beer and whiskey. Hey, I'm only human and haven't been entirely derailed. More importantly, I am making great progress and feel great! Lately, I've tried a little IF and stop eating by 8pm and try to eat around noon the next day. Not sure how accurate my version is to proper IF but it's been nice not worrying about getting up and figuring out a meal immediately. So far so good and one less meal I need to worry about! Have a great weekend everyone and if you haven't caught the latest episode of The Walking Dead on AMC, check it out to see what all the fuss is about

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb

PrimalCon New York
    The day has come to a close for me. IF is working out for me so far so I will continue to experiment with it; slowly adding workouts in a fasted state first thing in the morning next.

B:
    L: 2 Eggs, 1 chicken/turkey sweet basil sausage
    S: 1/2 can lite coconut milk (TJ's why don't you carry 'normal' full fat version? ), 1/3 cup blueberries, whey protein shake
    D: 2 Eggs, 1 chicken/turkey sweet basil sausage, steamed brocoli/cauliflower with butter, guac with tuna <---odd pairing but it worked for me haha

If any of you have any suggestions let me know!

SW 184.4lb
    CW 181.8lb
    GW 140lb