Thread: Any Finns on the forum? page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hei!

I'm a Canadian living in the UK right now, but my permanent residence in is central Finland. We're moving back there at the end of May. I'm just wondering if there are any Finns, or anyone living in Finland on this forum. I've found it a challenge to find good quality food in Finland (except for all those delicious wild blueberries!), and it would be great to find more resources before I go back.

Jedi is offline Member

You need to check out Eva's posts. She is from Finland and has been primal for quite a while

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

hi there

im in Helsinki - where are u?

why has it been hard to find quality produce here?

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Hi Eva,

I'm actually in the UK right now until June, but my regular residence is in Jyvaskyla.

Yeah, I suppose it's partly a relative matter. I come from Victoria, BC, on the West Coast of Canada, where there are ample farmer's markets and farms where you can buy fresh produce year round. I have been spoiled. In addition to the produce, there is at least one butcher who sells only grass-fed happy organic meat and poultry.

Of course, there is produce in Finland, but for geographical and climatic reasons, Finland has to import most of its food. As a result, the produce has to be picked that much earlier in order for it to survive transport, and it ripens only on the supermarket shelves. We get a weekly order in from Ekolo for organics, but the food is often already rotting.

With meat, I've noticed that Helsinki, i.e., the Stockman department store, has some decent frozen free range/ organic poultry (at least around Christmas) but otherwise I have not come across any organic chicken or any other poultry. The organic meat on offer at CityMarket is limited to ground beef and beef chunks. No organic steak. No nitrite-free bacon, etc.

We have friends who live in the countryside to the west of Helsinki who know of a farm shop which sells some form of organic meat. I'd like to go there with a very large cooler.

Being so far north, I understand the reasons why the food quality in Finland is inferior to more southern climes. I am wondering, however, if there are more of these small farm shops or farms which would sell me a whole beef and chicken, for example.

I also understand that your perception of the quality of food in Finland might be different than my own. I've noticed that a lot of Finns tend to be proud of their food and standards that the country sets.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

Hi, and sorry for my late answer.

I moved to finland from estonia about 5 years ago, so im not in any way biased on the foodissue:

i live in helsinki and i mostly use the marketplaces here - there are 3 large indoor marketplaces in the centre (one in the harbour, one in hakaniemi and one on bulevardi street). The stallowners are all or at least mostly small farmers and a big percentage of them organic - you just have to go to these places and ask around about making a deal about buying a whole/half beef or whatever you want. Im not certain about other places but for example where i live : the area in helsinki is calles Kumpula - has a decent coop shop that sells yeararound local organic veggies (greenhousegrown but local and organic nevertheless) and freerange meats and also raw milk products.

If you ever come to helsinki just contact me. come here with a car and get yourself a big deepfreeze - we`ll go hunting and gathering together.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/