Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Non-Hormonal IUD - Advice page 4

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just got the copper IUD inserted today and thought I'd share my experience. I'm 29 and never been pregnant. I've only used condoms for birth control so far because I refused to get any kind of hormonal remedy - I've had too many friends who had terrible mood swings, weight gain, hair loss etc with the pill and since I've switched to primal, I have even less desire to artificially manipulate my body's natural responses with hormones. This is why I chose the copper IUD. My insurance covers it so I basically had to pay a 40$ copay and that's it. A lot more economical than most other firms of birth control when amortized over 10 years!

My doctor was very experienced with IUD insertion and the whole thing was a breeze! I took 800 mg ibuprofen beforehand (but it had expired a month ago so I don't know how effective it was). The process lasted less than five minutes and the worse I felt was a light cramp - much lighter than I normally get during a period and definitely bearable. I got a bit light-headed for just a minute when it was over but I think that was more due to how nervous I'd been! So if any of you are considering a copper IUD but are nervous about the insertion, it won't necessarily hurt, even if you haven't had children.

I use a menstrual cup (and OMG what a life changer that thing is!) and I am worried that I will tug on the IUD's strings and dislodge it while I remove the cup. But the doctor dismissed that concern and said it's very unlikely.

The only negative side effect of the copper IUD seems to be heavier and crampier periods. We'll see how it goes next month. So far I haven't had any cramping or extra bleeding since the insertion. I can't feel it inside at all.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    That's good to know about the cup, I was nervous about that aspect myself. DivaCup doesn't recommend it on their website, but a doctor's opinion kinda overrides that. I have had kids, and have had my IUD for over a year though so the chances of expulsion are pretty low.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    My appointment to get my IUD is March 8th! I'm going with Paragard. It's amazing how some of you have such great testimonies, and some of your experiences make me nauseous and want to pass out. I'm scared but desperately wanting to get off hormones!
    big day tomorrow!!!! please take pain medication, it's okay to be scared; it will hurt, but it will be over soon and it will be SOOOOOO WORTH IT!! SPONTANEOUS SEX!!! no more pills!!! hormone free!! woohoo!! lol

ragwort is online now Senior Member
    I would be interested in the link to the fibroids and iodine link. I have had my hormonal IUD (for fibroids etc) 5 years now and it is due out soon as was going to try without as possibly? through the menopause now. Anyone else been here?

Ta.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    That's good to know about the cup, I was nervous about that aspect myself. DivaCup doesn't recommend it on their website, but a doctor's opinion kinda overrides that. I have had kids, and have had my IUD for over a year though so the chances of expulsion are pretty low.
    For what it's worth, I use a MoonCup and their website says the product is safe to use with IUDs. My doctor says that when correctly placed, the menstrual cup sits low in the vagina. It shouldn't be anywhere near the cervix and if the IUD strings were trimmed correctly, they shouldn't protrude that far down.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I used a diaphram for birth control all my fertile life--I didn't want to mess with my hormones. Worked wonderfully--never had an accidental pregnancy, got pregnant with my first child the first month of not using it.

I had very heavy periods in perimenopause and wish I had known about the Mirena hormonal IUD then, because it would have helped. Then I had a period two years after menopause and the doctor said my uterine lining was too thick. I chose Mirena as the treatment instead of taking progesterone pills and I am very happy with the results. I found the insertion not bad and I had mild to moderate cramps for 6 hours afterwards then was fine. I wondered if all that extra lining was going to shed at once, but instead I had 3 or 4 months of light spotting and then it stopped. I've written more about Mirena for post-menopause issues at: Deep Language: Mirena IUD for endometrial hyperplasia (TMI warning)

silverfox is offline Junior Member
    Hey there. Good luck with getting your IUD. Thought I would throw in another positive experience.

I've had my paragard IDU for over two years now. I got it when I was 23 and I've never had children. The insertion was painful but it was over very fast. I had some minor spotting and cramping afterwards but I was still fine to walk 2 miles home. I do bleed heavier and my period increased in duration. Before I got my IUD I had two days of real bleeding and two days of spotting. After getting my IUD I was pretty much bleeding for a week. However, I've found that in the past year the duration has gone down to 5 days again. My cramping was never particularly bad before and it's no worse now. The only differences is that I get some cramping a couple days before I start and usually no cramping when I'm on my cycle.

I am really glad I got m IUD I was miserable when I was on hormonal birth control (UTI's, yeast infections, and no sex drive). I also didn't like the fact that my breasts got bigger. It is wonderful having a birth control method that I don't have to think about at all.

Good luck.

acidmatherson is offline Junior Member
    I've had my Paragard for 3 weeks and so far so good. I tried the Nuva Ring and was vomiting and lost sex drive and it was just terrible. On the Paragard, I had a 5 day period and no other side effects besides the heavier period. No cramping, no weight gain, nothing so far. I made a blog about it because all I've heard is negative stuff on the internet and I really think people should have a wealth of information from all different types of people. You can read about my experience with it in my blog which is in my siggy. Visit it if you have questions OR opinions. Happy BC'ing!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    I had very heavy periods in perimenopause and wish I had known about the Mirena hormonal IUD then, because it would have helped.
    am 47, and i had a mirena placed last year because of unbearable bleeding and cramps. i was fine the first couple months, but after that it became hell. black moods, weight gain, my whole body changed shape, inability to concentrate, general anxiety... awful, awful, awful. i had it removed yesterday and am 4 pounds lighter. go figure.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone gone from the Pill to Mirena? It seems it should have milder side-effects because it's a lower dose of hormones, but I'd love to know if that's really the case.

(The plain copper, non-hormonal IUD is considerably less effective, right?)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast