Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-Hormonal IUD - Advice page 3

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My appointment to get my IUD is March 8th! I'm going with Paragard. It's amazing how some of you have such great testimonies, and some of your experiences make me nauseous and want to pass out. I'm scared but desperately wanting to get off hormones!

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I've had my copper IUD for a year and I'm 21 years old, never had hormonal BC before.

Anyways, the first period sucked and was very painful, but each month the cramps (which I didn't have before) become less and less painful. After a year they're pretty much the same as they used to be.

Oh and as for insertion--I feel sorry for all those ladies who seem to have had a hard time, for me it felt like a kind of painful pinch for literally 2 seconds and that was it. I was a bit crampy for a few days but that was it.

I find it to be one of the best things I've ever done. No hormones, no maintennance, and I'm good for 10 years. And I've had plenty of sex since it's been in (starting about a month after insertion) and have not gotten pregnant so...yay! Lol

snowflake67 is offline Junior Member
    I went with the non-hormonal IUD about three years ago. Was a little crampy with insertion, but that was about it! I get cravings about a week before my period, they are heavier than with out and only last about four days. Now I notice that I get emotional and very "frisky" after my period! I have had zero problems!

It was a great choice for me! Good luck!

Jo Anne

AmieSue is offline Senior Member
    I currently have the copper IUD in and have had it for 4 years. I am scheduled to have it removed due to copper toxity! I have learned so much about this topic. There is a book out called "Why am I always so tired"by Ann Gittleman that goes in great depth about this. I recommend doing some research on this topic.
    Amie Sue...

thyme is offline Member
    had mine out 9 January, after 4 years. Loved it while I had it. Haven't had a period since it came out. Definitely not pregnant yet. Hoping that means I'm only missing one cycle, but I wish my doctor had told me that fertility might take a few cycles to return after the IUD was removed. Google medicine suggests that's the case but not a SINGLE DOCTOR, including our IVF doctor a few years ago, told me that I needed to have it out earlier in the 'schedule.'
    Enjoy it while you got it, but remember you might need some time after it comes out.

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    Amiesue, did you get your copper levels tested? Couldn't you just supplement with zinc to balance things out? What is your plan for birth control in the future if you are opting out of the IUD?

sdm
    sdm is offline Junior Member
    I was on the pill for about 7 or 8 years before I did a TON of research on the Copper IUD. Insertion was painful (don't expect to do anything else that day) because I've never been pregnant (apparently that cuts down the pain a bit). My periods were heavy and painful (especially the first one after insertion!) but it's gotten quite better now that I've had it for about a year and a half. I had always been regular before but was getting spotting and late periods for months and months. Though it was frustrating, I am so glad I did it! My hormone levels were out of whack for a while (I had acne I had never had in my teens) but in the past month or two my acne has cleared up. Also, my breasts have gone down a cup size. It's insane what the hormones did to my body. I guess it takes a LONG time for our bodies to readjust. If you have any questions down the road, let me know!

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I hated my hormonal IUD (Mirena), I had horrid side effects and was absorbing the hormone in my bloodstream despite the claims that it only acts locally. I swapped it out for a Paragard copper IUD and that's been great. The insertion was not bad at all (the Mirena insertion was hell) probably b/c my uterus was already used to having an IUD. It's been great, the cramps were pretty bad for the first few months, as was my flow, but it was only 1 day out of my period and not several. Now that has lessened a lot (nearly 2 years later) and I really only have one day of random sharp "warning cramps", then the following day is my one heavy day. My periods are shorter now too.

mle777 is offline Member
    I had a copper IUD for two years until I got pregnant. The string and IUD was still in place. I'd gotten pregnant previously while on the pill, so DH and I like to joke that either I'm super fertile or he has super sperm, maybe both Once my doctor confirmed that I was indeed pregnant, she had to remove the IUD. The IUD removal ended up causing me to miscarry. All of the emotions between the surprise pregnancy and the miscarriage shook me up so badly that I had my tubes tied shortly after because I couldn't risk going through that again. Though, I do think it was a bit of a blessing in disguise because during the first prenatal visit, it was determined that I'd developed early stages of cervical cancer (I'd had a clear PAP 7 months earlier). If I would have waited till my normal yearly check-up 5 months later the cancer probably would have developed significantly more. I had the tubal at the same time that they removed half of my cervix. Sorry for rambling!

I will say that during the two years that I had the copper IUD by PMS got so bad the day before TOM arrived that I would almost get suicidal. I'd never had any type of PMS previously. Plus, I started bleeding heavily. After the removal, the crazy PMS went away, but the heavy bleeding never did. Still dealing with that, though my doctors says that it's a joy of being in my 30's. Makes me scared of what my 40's will offer up...

ETA - I'm not trying to scare you out of getting it, I just want to make sure that you're hearing all sides. You have to do what you think is best for your body
    Last edited by mle777; 02-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.

lucyewok is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    this is EXACTLY how i feel about the whole thing, good luck, maybe do a post on your experience, there isnt enough info and real life testimonies about them!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast