Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Hormonal IUD - Advice page 2

faithy22 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I just had my copper IUD (Paragard) inserted last Tuesday. I took 600 mg ibuprofen about 45 min before the appt. Insertion made me feel a little crampy, but nothing terrible at all. I've been on HBC for 15 years straight (pills, Depo, NuvaRing, you name it!). I had the insertion just as my period ended but the insertion caused it to come back. I'm also still a little crampy so I'm taking ibuprofen daily. But I'm not used to having cramps at all, so I might just be being a baby about it right now.

I came to terms before choosing the IUD that the first 6 months would probably suck, so I'm going to stick it out for that long, at least, assuming I'm unhappy with it. Obviously I'm not happy that I still have my period, but I knew this was going to happen and I'm prepared for it. I just don't want to be on HBC anymore.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faithy22 View Post
    I just had my copper IUD (Paragard) inserted last Tuesday. I took 600 mg ibuprofen about 45 min before the appt. Insertion made me feel a little crampy, but nothing terrible at all. I've been on HBC for 15 years straight (pills, Depo, NuvaRing, you name it!). I had the insertion just as my period ended but the insertion caused it to come back. I'm also still a little crampy so I'm taking ibuprofen daily. But I'm not used to having cramps at all, so I might just be being a baby about it right now.

I came to terms before choosing the IUD that the first 6 months would probably suck, so I'm going to stick it out for that long, at least, assuming I'm unhappy with it. Obviously I'm not happy that I still have my period, but I knew this was going to happen and I'm prepared for it. I just don't want to be on HBC anymore.
    eating primally should help your period get lighter. the IUD certainly makes it more hellish, but I find that when I eat well, my period isn't as bad. I've always had very heavy periods, same with my mother (she went and had a hysto because of her cramps!) so I wasn't expecting my periods to be rainbows and sunshine. I've had mine for four years now and some months are rougher than others.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I got a copper Paraguard last fall. Insertion was no fun, cramped real bad for a day after, then felt better rapidly over the next three days. My periods have been a lot heavier (first time ive ever had to use super tampons) and i spot more, but besides that its been going well and im looking forward to see if things even out more over the next few months.

What HAS been tricky for me is the fact that I went off HBC at the same time, and THAT seems to have thrown my body for a loop. The timing of my period has been really erratic and ive been having mood swings and migraine symptoms associated with my period and/or ovulation. Sex drive is erratic and (sadly) kinda low. This all happened the last time I went off hbc a few years ago; at the time, it eventually made me go back on. It kinda sucks, but this time im trying to wait it out and let my body realign itself.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I've had 3 different copper IUDs. (Between kids.) Loved them. Periods were a little heavier for sure, but mine are heavy anyway, so no biggie for me. Insertion for my first 2 caused a little cramping, but nothing terrible. The 3rd one HURT!! Painkillers and heating pads for sure! Just make sure you can feel your cord and check it regularly. My 3rd one came out in the first month (couldn't feel the cord) and my doc said to just trust her it was in there (she "checked" it for me). Guess who got preggers as soon as she started weaning? This girl.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

lucyewok is offline Member
    thanks so much, owly!! thats very reassuring to know x

lucyewok is offline Member
    aw thank you so much nikitakolata!! i just want to be off hormones

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    I want to be off hormones too!! I've been using some variation of the Seasonale/Seasonique pills for years now - - the ones that are 12 weeks on, 1 week off. Back in October I tried LoSeasonique which is just a lower dose of hormones. At first I was LOVING it ... for one thing I finally started to lose the 1 lb per week everyone else on Primal/Paleo seems to get!! But then the spotting started after ~3 weeks and I went off for a week to let a period come. Back on and then spotting started 2 weeks later again. Grrr. Just couldn't handle it anymore (and hubby wasn't happy either) so I went back to the regular full-strength stuff. Sadly I gained back all the weight I lost too ... only 6 lbs but it was the difference between "wow almost all my pants fit! can't wait for another 2-4 lbs and they are ALL going to fit!!!" and "blah. back to having 1/3-1/2 of my closet hanging there unused." Yes I can jam myself in them but the thighs are SUPER tight and it just doesn't look good for work.

So ... what do you ladies think? Is the IUD any better for this? I will be turning 31 in June and we want to start TTC in about 2.5 years when we get our 2nd mortgage paid off (yes we were one of "those people" who bought a house with an 80/20 mortgage and now the darn house is not even worth what we owe on the 80% one!!) I'm worried that I'm tempting fate by waiting til I'm 33 to start trying but we really need the extra money we're paying towards that mortgage now to cover daycare, diapers, etc. Would we have better luck maybe if I went to a copper IUD so my body has those 2.5 years to flush the hormones out of my system?

SORRY for the long reply!!

faithy22 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    I've had 3 different copper IUDs. (Between kids.) Loved them. Periods were a little heavier for sure, but mine are heavy anyway, so no biggie for me. Insertion for my first 2 caused a little cramping, but nothing terrible. The 3rd one HURT!! Painkillers and heating pads for sure! Just make sure you can feel your cord and check it regularly. My 3rd one came out in the first month (couldn't feel the cord) and my doc said to just trust her it was in there (she "checked" it for me). Guess who got preggers as soon as she started weaning? This girl.
    Kakes-
    When do you think your IUD came out? I've had mine for 2 weeks now and I can't feel the strings. My Dr. cut them, I'm wondering if she cut them too short. I don't go back to see her for 4 more weeks. Maybe I should call and go see her earlier?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    While I've never had an IUD - I tried to get one and all I got was a weird look for the doctor, I really wish my mom signed those sex ed permission forms in grade school - if you're getting a copper one I would recommend a before-and-after blood test. Go comprehensive, particularly checking your estrogen, free testosterone, thyroid and...get this...copper levels. You'll probably see significant hormone changes (for the better) losing the hormonal birth control, but it would probably be a good idea to get your metals checked as well to make sure you're not absorbing toxic levels of foreign metals. I watch House and it's amazing how many wild diseases are caused by heavy metal poisoning
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    How can you prevent it from coming out? That scares me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast