Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein/Strength Training Questions page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Question Protein/Strength Training Questions

I am 201 lbs at 6ft 5in and have been introducing some Whey Protein shakes into my diet (for about a week). So far I’ve had good results. Just curious to how much protein I should have…

I used a calculator thing online and it says 130 grams of protein a day for strength training… does that seem right?

Also I've read suggestions about adding in flaxseed oil for omega 3s... (i love fish but husband hates it so i rarely get it).
    What about fiber? I've noticed the whey protein kinda stops me up too...

I still have little belly to get rid of but I'm getting close. I wanna work the muscles and have been doing strength training and IF-ing....

Also, when should I have my protein shake... first thing in the morning? Before workout? After workout (I work out after work everyday).
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

mmapags is offline Member
    I'm sure some others will have some great suggestions but here's my take. The general rule of thumb on protein is .7 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. So for example if I'm 200 lbs and 25% body fat then I'm 150 lbs of lean body mass. So for me, I should be getting 105 to 150 grams of protien per day.
    On Omega 3 I would recommend both. Get some from animal sources like fish oil and some from plant sources. I take 1000mgs of high quality fish oil caps and I put flax seed in my protien shake which also gives the added benefit of a little fiber.
    On fiber, you can get all the fiber you need from fibrous veggies and fruits along with the flax seed or possibly some psylluim husk. Keeping transit time fairly quick is important due to toxin exposure in the colon.
    On the belly, you can't spot reduce. having a strong core is a good thing so keep at that and the overall weight loss and the belly will go away.
    You can have your protein shake whenever you like. I workout first thing in the morning. I fast or just have a banana for energy during my workout then drink my protien shake right after. I then do not intake any carbs for 2 hours. Reason being execise, especially HIIT and strength traing stimulates HGH. Intake of carbs and the attendant insulin response stifles the produciton of HGH. After 2 hours, I'l go back to my normal primal diet.

Hope you found this helpful!

I am about 15 lbs from where I want to be.

I have lost weight EVERYWHERE but my belly and lovehandles is all that's left, i swear it, lol.

i'm not trying to spot loose weight, i'm just mentioning that. haha.

i have worked out every day for the last week... didn't realize until now how much people insist that i give it a day's rest... i guess 3 times a week is what everyone is saying... it seems counterproductive but i guess giving my body rest does make sense...

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    I am 201 lbs at 6ft 5in and have been introducing some Whey Protein shakes into my diet (for about a week). So far I’ve had good results. Just curious to how much protein I should have…

I used a calculator thing online and it says 130 grams of protein a day for strength training… does that seem right?

Also I've read suggestions about adding in flaxseed oil for omega 3s... (i love fish but husband hates it so i rarely get it).
    What about fiber? I've noticed the whey protein kinda stops me up too...

I still have little belly to get rid of but I'm getting close. I wanna work the muscles and have been doing strength training and IF-ing....

Also, when should I have my protein shake... first thing in the morning? Before workout? After workout (I work out after work everyday).
    130g of protein seems right, or maybe just a little low.

Flaxseed oil is not great- poor conversion rate to the Omega 3's that you need most, like DHA. Fish oil pills instead?

I'd get my fiber from veggies, personally.

If whey stops you up, don't use it. Use another protein powder, or eat more meat. Coconut oil can help here, too.

Leangains sounds like it might be right for you.

Protein shake, if you drink one, after working out.

If you are working out everyday, you are out of the sweet spot- either your workouts are not intense enough(much more likely) or you are overtraining.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    100% whey backs me up and gives me super smelly gas. One of my coaches suggested I get a blend, so I started using Nitrean+. It's a little pricey, but it seems to be worth it. It's made up of whey, casein, and egg protein.

True Nutrition has any type of protein powder you could want, from hemp to beef, at cheap prices.

mmapags is offline Member
    "If you are working out everyday, you are out of the sweet spot- either your workouts are not intense enough(much more likely) or you are overtraining"
    This!

#1 I think i'm overtraing... check
    #2 My whey protein i mix with coconut milk :-) delish!
    #3 I skipped the flaxseed oil and went for fish oil today at the store because the fish oil was cheeper (and Buy one get one at kroger)
    #4 What the heck is leangains?

Leangains is a system of fasting and lifting to achieve very low bodyfat without caloric restriction.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmmmm i do like the sound of that.

I am fasting... I love fasting. It's cheap, efficient, and always helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast