Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No gelatin from bone broth page

The Scott is offline Member

No gelatin from bone broth

Ok what happened? I cooked it for 2 days straight in the slow cooker. This morning I skimmed off the 1/8 layer of fat to reveal nothing but soup

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It should gel when you cool it off in the fridge. If not, you need more bones and more connective tissue. Good cuts for those are beef neck, oxtail, and hoof.

I just grabbed a bag of 3 lb grassfed bones and tossed em in

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    It's the knuckles and ligaments that give you the gelatin and it shows up when it is cool. In my old Fannie Farmer cookbook they use veal bones in their stock to give it more gelatin. Did you chop the bones so that the marrow could flavor the stock? The Fannie Farmer cookbook is old enough not to have convenience foods and a lot of from scratch soups and sauces. I originally got it to cook for my son who is allergic to ALL forms of corn. I've also read that adding chicken feet(and wingtips) to chicken stock gives it much more gelatin. Roasting the bones first also makes for a richer flavor.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Cows feet, pig trotters, chicken feet - all very rich sources of gelatin. If you add these to your regular bones, you should get a good setting stock.

I through the bones in the crock pot with carrots celery and onions with apple cider vinegar and cooked it for 2 days. I dug the marrow out when it softened and that was all I did. Thats all I was aware to do I guess i just have beef soup

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scott View Post
    I through the bones in the crock pot with carrots celery and onions with apple cider vinegar and cooked it for 2 days. I dug the marrow out when it softened and that was all I did. Thats all I was aware to do I guess i just have beef soup
    It will only gel up if it refrigerated.

Yep in the fridge since last night

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yep... just like making "Jello" it gels when cold.

And I second the FEET. Don't fear the feet... always add feet if possible. Feet!

Always get as many end joints and pieces covered in ligament as possible. =)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you using Highland cattle bones Scott? I heard they are part flubber so the cows can get up the hills better. . .

Seriously, sounds like you did everything right--at first I was thinking too much water but 3lbs of bones in one crockpot should set up when chilled.

Hmmmmm. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast