Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found this to be pretty interesting page

@lex is offline Senior Member

I found this to be pretty interesting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paleo Diet Myth Testimonials – 180 Degree Health

So I found this while browsing around.Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?

Looking at his site further,his shop offers the option to buy a one hour phone conversation with him for 100 dollars.....wtf?
    Last edited by @lex; 02-06-2012 at 07:08 AM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't think this is bad. he doesn't seem like he's out to demonize paleo or primal, just observe a few things. i'm sure plenty of people will disagree with all 12 myths (particularly anything that says grains aren't that bad), but the reasons he mentioned are good. for one thing, paleo is getting a lot of momentum, and plenty of people have a blind infatuation for it, as he puts it. i tend to think that the primal blueprint looks at paleo lifestyle with a little more freedom and common sense, but there are still plenty of people who jump in with unrealistic expectations and don't really give what they're doing enough though.
    and, of course, he's got a point about carbohydrates. sure, there are plenty of primal friendly carbs for people to enjoy, but i think some people become carbphobic...i certainly was for a while.

i don't think he's out to get paleo/primal followers to start eating cake and soda (despite mentioning the soda), but a little dissent is good...particularly if it gets people thinking.

I agree with some of the things he says,but he also says some pretty odd things that don't seem to be backed up with much research or scientific proof.Many paleo folks do take the carb things to extremes,which may work for some but shouldn't be a rule of thumb.Above all I think listening to your body is the best thing someone can do,regardless of whether what you body tells you agrees with some other person or not.People would be a lot better off if they just used some common sense,and that applies to more than just eating right.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    This guy is a jackass! The book might be good for a laugh but certainly won't be helpful or educational in any way. He claims not to be bias but as you read through the comments it becomes very clear that he is and he is out to attack paleo as well as certain people. If this wasn't so transparent it might actually be interesting. I'm sure he will fail to point out the MANY long term success stories from the Primal/Paleo community.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    This guy is a jackass! The book might be good for a laugh but certainly won't be helpful or educational in any way. He claims not to be bias but as you read through the comments it becomes very clear that he is and he is out to attack paleo as well as certain people. If this wasn't so transparent it might actually be interesting. I'm sure he will fail to point out the MANY long term success stories from the Primal/Paleo community.
    He does seem to delve into personal attacks and insults pretty easily,even insulting Mark,Robb,and others in some of his posts,which instantly undermines any good he's trying to do.You're right when you say he doesn't use examples of people doing well on paleo,but has several odd stories of people supposedly doing everything right and ending up miserable and magically fixing it by reading his books and following his adviceHe also seems to change his dietary advice frequently,so I don't see how there could be any long term examples of success when even the author of said diets is on them for maybe a year or so before jumping to something new.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Paleo ≠ no carb although some practice it as such. Even Sisson concedes the need for more carbs with greater levels of exercise than he would recommend. That seems to be at the root of what these folks are complaining about.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Sisson isn't even "conceding" on higher carbs for athletic folks--he encourages it. I don't know where we got the idea that Mark is so opposed to high levels of exercise--he opposes chronic cardio and overtraining, but that's not necessarily the same thing as being against a high level of exercise as appropriate to the fitness level and goals of the participant.

Even for maintenance, he suggests 100-150g/daily, which is not low carb unless you compare it to the sugar-eating SAD madness. If you read Cordain's Paleo Diet for Athletes, he also suggests eating quite a bit of carb. So does Wolf. All of them suggest dropping carbs only for weight loss, and Mark recommends ketogenic VLC as a shorter term strategy, not a permanent state of being.

I personally know far more paleo folks who happily eat their fruit and sweet potatoes than otherwise, maybe because most of them are also Crossfitters, but even the ones who aren't into any sort of intense athletics don't tend to be carb-phobic. I do find there's more carb fear on this board, but in my IRL acquaintance, that's not a common issue.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Low carb doesn't work for everyone and some people just don't do well on a LC diet,but that isn't the fault of the paleo diet,it's the fault of the person who stubbornly follows something that their body tells them isn't working.Call me crazy,but if low carb paleo isn't working then just eat more carbs from healthy sources instead of getting frustrated and looking for answer at the bottom of a bag of chips or cookies.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    OK, people eat some weird shit and have some off kilter advice around here. But IMO, the actual diet as it is written is very easy to follow and does not at all seem to discourage carbs in the form of fruits and veggies. It's a pretty well rounded, nutritious way to eat.

True,I've always seen the paleo/primal system as more of a template that you then tweak and change to fit your specific needs,but some people take the paleo and primal thing literally and get a bit nuts with it.I hate seeing people say "we didn't have X or Y back then so don't eat them now" or seeing someone act like eating some grain fed meat or having a few extra carbs is like having a cigarette and bleach smoothie.Luckily this kind of thinking seems to be dying out more and more each day,because that kind of fanaticism can easily ruin something and the overall message it brings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast