Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Unsweetened Almond Milk? page

gloucesterjohn is offline Junior Member

What's wrong with Unsweetened Almond Milk?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I'm just getting into this, reading the 21 Day Book, ordered some Grass Feed Beef, etc. I'm all in on Salads, Veggies, Meats, Seafood. But the book says throw away the Almond Milk.

But what's wrong with my morning shake of Unsweetened Almond Milk, some Fruit and Brewer's Yeast?

The Almond Milk has 0 Carbs and 0 Sugar, Brewer's Yeast is loaded with B12 and others micro nutrients and I like it ?

John

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    What are the ingredients in the almond milk?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hi, here's the ingredients from the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Product

Original
    Ingredients: almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), calcium carbonate, tapioca starch, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, sunflower lecithin, natural flavor, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d2 and d-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin e).

Fat 5%, (0 Sat/Trans), Carb 0%, Sugars 0g, Protein 1g ...

John

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Generally it's not "okay" because it's processed. Making your own would be the best bet, but either way, you are exposing yourself to a rather large amount of omega-6 with very little nutritional value. I always think it's worth cutting something out that's in the gray area to see how much you really miss it 2-3 weeks later. Please tell me that's not all you eat for breakfast!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the info. No, this is not all I have for breakfast. Usually I'd follow with Greek Yogurt, or now that I'm going primal a couple eggs.

One thing about eggs through I see that two have 140% daily cholesterol, yikes ...

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterjohn View Post
    One thing about eggs through I see that two have 140% daily cholesterol, yikes ...
    You're going to get buried for this statement. Check around the forum and mainpage for more information about cholesterol.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    You're going to get buried for this statement. Check around the forum and mainpage for more information about cholesterol.
    Let me throw the first shovel full of dirt. I'd check Mark's main page. There is a tab called "ABOUT" which has a selection button for 'PRIMAL BLUEPRINT 101', there are numerous articles there which he explains everything. I read a few every night, because, like you, I was very concerned with the cholesterol and fats questions.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

paleo pika is offline Member
    Don't worry about dietary cholesterol! It has nothing to do with your blood levels. In fact, when they look at your blood 'cholesterol' levels, they aren't looking at cholesterol at all, instead they're looking at the lipoproteins that carry your cholesterol around.

Don't be afraid of eggs! Do get eggs from a good source though, where the chickens can graze and aren't fed grain as a primary food. I get 'em from my farmer's market for about $3/dozen.

Pigevil is offline Member
    From the ingredients, it looks to me that commercial almond milk is a highly processed product full of chemicals. Carrageenan, sunflower lecithin, artificial flavors, etc. The term "artificial flavors" can mean anything. Who knows what weird chemicals are hidden under the label "artificial flavors." If you want to continue drinking almond milk, then maybe try to make your own.

I think eggs are a wonderful source of nutrition. I buy pastured organic eggs from local farms or a store bought brand called Vital Farms eggs. If you cannot find pastured organic eggs, buy at least organic ones. We also eat a lot of Greek Yogurt, traditional yogurt, and Kefir. However, we do not buy the commercially produced yogurts but we make our own yogurts using grass-fed raw milk or at least organic grass-fed unhomogenized pasteurized milk. It is actually very easy and simple to do.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just some thoughts. Tapioca starch and carageenan are not exactly great for you (both processed), but I think one thing about almond milk -- processed or homemade -- would be the huge amount of almonds needed. I mean, it's sort of like OTT almond ingestion. Certainly more than a small handful now and then. I think homemade would be a wonderful treat on an occasional basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast