Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want to go primal in fitness but don't want the 'crossfitter body' page 4

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It sounds to me like you lost some weight doing chronic cardio and now you're afraid of getting fat if you stop doing it. Gaining muscle has nothing to do with it. Unless you are a genetic freak, you aren't going to pack on slabs of lean muscle mass. If your bodyfat is so low, continuing on the cardio train will probably have adverse affects.

I wish I could gain muscle (being a guy) at the rate at which some women think it's synthesized (by lifting "weight") in their bodies...

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the only time I ever heard of somebody getting too bulky by accident, he'd just been exposed to gamma rays and this pesky reporter made him angry...

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting thread. Most men I know prefer an athletic woman as well--I actually just asked my boyfriend and he agreed (without hesitation) about CrossFit women being much more attractive than Cosmo women. But then again, I have a body type kind of like a lean-ish CrossFit-er, being that I rock climb all the time.

Anyways, to the OP--I personally gain muscle mass easier than (literally) any woman I've ever met and I still don't get "bulky" unless I do things excessively. I used to lift a LOT and eventually got some bulk in the legs but that was with eating a ton, lifting very frequently and heavily at moderate reps. Now I rock climb so I get simultaneously lean and muscular without bulk and don't really lift anymore. Personally, I would much rather do some intense lifting for a few minutes a couple times a week and get lean and a little muscular than do cardio for hours and hours...but that's just me.

I really think (if you're comfortable with it) that you should post pics so we can see what's going on here. Or at least a pic of a celebrity or someone who looks very similar to you in body shape.

BodyByBacon is offline Junior Member
    I know everyone will disagree with me but I totally agree about the bulky crossfit girls. I know lots of women who are crazy about crossfit and have invited me to try it out, but I would say most of them have that thick, beefy look that looks better on dudes. Maybe they are not eating well or something, but between the beefy look and all the injuries, I stay away from crossfit.

melarmy is offline Junior Member
    When I started Crossfitting 2 years ago, I had a very smart coach tell me that it could be anything I wanted it to be. Sure, if you're working out at a box someone else is doing the programming but you decide how you're going to do each WOD. Go light and as fast as you can (with good form) if you want it to be more cardio oriented. Go heavier ( and slower) if you're looking to gain mass.

Something else to keep in mind, not all females who Crossfit look like the pictures you see online in a lot of cases. Where I train, we have everything from girls that are very thin/lean (what I think of as a typical runner's body) to girls that look like the Crossfit females everyone thinks of to girls that run on the bigger power lifter/strong woman side (like me). We all eat a little differently, approach the training a little differently and just started out with different physiology.

And of course, if you are very lean any muscle you gain is just going to be more obvious. No real way around that.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkneifel View Post
    Hello!

I'm new to the crossfit world, but not new to primal eating or the fitness industry. I just finished Mark's book and had a question about your 'lifting heavy things' section. I will admit, I am a chronic cardio gal but I maintain a lean physique and fluctuate between 11-15% body fat. I have studied crossfitting and tried it here and there but just do not like the bulky muscles it tends to build in women from the explosive movements. I have all the muscle I want and I DO NOT want to add any more muscle to my body. Is there a way for me to live the primal fitness lifestyle without adding muscle, yet staying lean? My current workout program: cardio (kickboxing or running) for 60 minutes 5x/wk, and I walk my dog 3 miles every day. Thanks so much!
    The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable - Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Google Books

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ufSYBcZa0#t=6m20s
    Last edited by js290; 02-19-2012 at 09:01 PM.

BodyByBacon is offline Junior Member
    Great video! I think it's probably spot-on.
    Heidi

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think that the women you see who look thick and beefy are probably just built thick and beefy. I have some thick and beefy thighs.... My thighs were thick and beefy when running. My thighs will be thick and beefy if I get to 13% body fat. If you are lanky or slender, it's probably going to take some genetic changes to look like me.

And I doubt that Mark's program is going to transform a thin, lean woman into one that has giant muscles. I happen to have a weak upper body- even doing 2 rounds of P90X didn't make my arms any thicker, and it didn't change the shape of my thighs.

If you are really paranoid, just go do Pilates or Yoga.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyByBacon View Post
    I know everyone will disagree with me but I totally agree about the bulky crossfit girls. I know lots of women who are crazy about crossfit and have invited me to try it out, but I would say most of them have that thick, beefy look that looks better on dudes. Maybe they are not eating well or something, but between the beefy look and all the injuries, I stay away from crossfit.
    That defines exactly 0% of the women at my CF box. Maybe our gym is a complete outlier, but somehow I doubt that.

Unless, by "thick and beefy" you're referring to females just starting out on their path to getting healthy who have excess body fat to lose.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 02-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234