Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to go primal in fitness but don't want the 'crossfitter body' page 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    change your mind yet?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkneifel View Post
    Hello!

I'm new to the crossfit world, but not new to primal eating or the fitness industry. I just finished Mark's book and had a question about your 'lifting heavy things' section. I will admit, I am a chronic cardio gal but I maintain a lean physique and fluctuate between 11-15% body fat. I have studied crossfitting and tried it here and there but just do not like the bulky muscles it tends to build in women from the explosive movements. I have all the muscle I want and I DO NOT want to add any more muscle to my body. Is there a way for me to live the primal fitness lifestyle without adding muscle, yet staying lean? My current workout program: cardio (kickboxing or running) for 60 minutes 5x/wk, and I walk my dog 3 miles every day. Thanks so much!
    Decrease your protein intake if you're gaining too much muscle. Can't build muscle without protein.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Are you planning on supplementing with testosterone? If not, you won't get bulky muscles without trying.

Shaman is offline Junior Member
    Just to clarify...you are a woman and maintain 11-15% body fat year-round? That is competition-lean (dry and cut) for figure athletes. Just out of curiousity...are you a figure competitor? What is your motivation for going primal?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Just to clarify...you are a woman and maintain 11-15% body fat year-round? That is competition-lean (dry and cut) for figure athletes. Just out of curiousity...are you a figure competitor? What is your motivation for going primal?

Woah, can't believe I missed that. That can't be healthy.

By "bulky" do you mean any muscle mass?

Did you just eyeball those numbers or are they real goal? Are you there now?

bkneifel is offline Junior Member
    Thank you very much to those with helpful comments rather than unhelpful (and somewhat rude) remarks. I am a personal trainer and maintain a body fat typically around 13-15%, but sometimes drop to 11, which I don't sustain for long and don't try to. My BMI is healthy (though at the lower end), because I already have a good muscle base. I don't want to look like a man, which I personally feel a lot of crossfit advertises for women. I want a feminine physique which I feel I have being a chronic cardio girl. Thus, I am a bit fearful of changing my routine since it works for me and I have the body I want. Mark's book was intriguing and I learned a lot in his fitness insights, I guess I'm just afraid of giving up what I know works (at least from outward appearances). There are a lot of cultures sustained for generations on distance running and as a trainer, I know what happens from experience when my clients and myself use explosive movements with heavy weights. I was just looking for more insight into the topic as it has my wheels turning! I guess I will keep on reading and learning. Thank you again!

No I'm not a figure competitor. I went paleo about 2 years ago when I became really sick on the raw food diet. I took a food allergy test and realized I was allergic to a lot of what I was eating! My doctor (a naturopath) turned me to Robb Wolf's book which launched me into a whole new field of research. I used to be at 20% bf, but just wasn't comfortable in my own skin. After tweaking my diet, the extra weight came off and I am able to maintain 13-15% rather easily (staying in paleo bounds) and feel a lot better about where I am.

Thank you. I used to follow Rusty Moore's s Visual Impact for Women (5 sets of 5 reps) but found my arms getting bulky so I scaled back, and just focused on his cardio recommendations which have worked well for me. However, after now finishing Mark's book on the toll a lot of cardio can have on a body, I am confused on the best thing to do for my body. I have the body I want, but at what expense, you know?

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Any woman who can maintain their bf in a 13-15% range has no worry of looking too bulky from weight training; you'd have to bulk up to get bulky. Long-term, you're wearing yourself out with chronic cardio, so you have to decide where your priorities are.

Aesthetics are a very personal decision. Most in-shape men will disagree with you that crossfit women are too manly looking. IMHO, the chronic-cardio bunnies do not look as healthy nor as attractive as a crossfit woman.

I'm concerned that there may be something deeper going on here. Unless you've done the 5x5 workout over a sustained period and increased your protein intake, your arms would not get bulky...I'm just saying, in a totally non-judgemental way...

Good luck with your quest!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bkneifel View Post
    Thank you. I used to follow Rusty Moore's s Visual Impact for Women (5 sets of 5 reps) but found my arms getting bulky so I scaled back, and just focused on his cardio recommendations which have worked well for me. However, after now finishing Mark's book on the toll a lot of cardio can have on a body, I am confused on the best thing to do for my body. I have the body I want, but at what expense, you know?
    You can always replace cardio with Fasting and Carb Re-feeds, women have success on LeanGains type programs without getting bulky. A 3-day split Reverse Pyramid program would probably be enough for you if you're not looking for mass and strength gains.

‘Three Day Split RPT’ Routine | RippedBody.jp

Ignore Martin's picture at the top, he eats as much protein as I do and weighs a third less.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast