Thread: Help me with my acne (gut related?) page

marra is offline Junior Member

Help me with my acne (gut related?)

Shop Now
    Hello!

Just found this great forum and hoping to get a bit of help from you. This is gonna be long, and is pretty much based on all information I've read about acne and how far I have come in my journey to beat it. Hope you have the patience.

I've been struggling with acne since I was 17 and I just turned 23, male.

I've been on a few courses of oral antibiotics (tetracycline) for my acne, at the time I didn't know better and relied on the doctors. First time round it completely cleared my acne in six months. I felt great! However just after a few weeks acne returned with revenge. Worse than ever. A few months later the doctors put me on another course and it didn't help at all. My stomach was in a terrible shape after this, lots of gas and high growl sounds from it. Very emberassing.

The years went and acne still occuring. I've tried pretty much everything from elminating foods to all over the counter creams, cleansers, vitamin and mineral supplements and home solutions you could think of. Last year I had enough and finally went on a Accutane course - I thought that shit would kill it forever. I got clear but a month later I began to broke out again. Felt worse than ever..what a slap in the face after six horrible months on that drug. I felt so low times during that course it feels like I throw six months out of my life. But to be honest it feels like my whole youth been thrown down the drain due to acne.

However I'm a fighter and I have not lost this battle yet. In June when I started breaking out again after that accutane course I began eating very strictly. I have always eaten strictly the time I have had acne, no dairy, no fast food, sodas, candy, nothing.

Since september I've been eating mainly beef, salmon, mackarel, tuna, vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc) , extra virgin organic coconut oil, onions. I read about candida and that this could cause acne. I got curious and ordered a test and test results came back.

This is the result: Imageshack - sss1q.jpg

Can't really understand it but guess I have some sort of yeast owergrowth in my body. I started bee's candida diet and in the beginning it worked quite good, but after a few months I had no energy at all, lost a lot of weight (too skinny now) and skin started looking worse.

I read recently that candida could thrive while in ketosis, which I must have been in cos I never ate any carbs apart from vegetables. So last few weeks I've been adding in rice and butternut squash, and some blueberries in the morning. Feel a bit better in the body now and more energy, but too early to notice and real skin changes. I stumbled across more information on how acne and gut flora could be related and this is what I am into now and need your help. Have a few questions.

1) I've always thought my acne was hormonal, and it probably was in the beginning at the age of 17. I used to break out very much on my chin and jawline - which I believe was hormonal breakouts. Nowadays I rarely breakout on my chin, more lower cheeks, forehead and a few on the jawline. This got me thinking I'm past most hormonal changes and that it is another factor contributing. I've read antibiotics kills all bacterias in stomach (unfortunately even the good ones) and as antibiotics once got me clear - isn't this evidence that if I kill all bad bacteria in gut and replace them with good ones - would my acne clear?

2) I've been reading much about GAPS recently, and wonder if I should give it a shot. Can I skip the introduction part as I've been eating primal for a couple of months already now?

3) Thinking about trying out some Ghee, Grassfed butter or some good yoghurt in my diet. Too scared to try it though in case I would breakout badly. Any suggestions? Is Ghee and butter good for gut issues? I know good Yoghurt is due to the probiotics. Also dropped eggs a few weeks ago, think I have some issues digesting them as I need to go to the toilet almost every time right after or in the middle of eating lots of eggs with coconut oil.

4) I've been supplementing with lots of vitamins and minerals in pill forms over the years. Nowadays I take Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Vitamin K2 and Calcium. I've always been afraid of eating some foods cos I thought it contribute to acne. But I'm on another path now and want to replace these pills with real food.

So any suggestions on what to eat to get all the important minerals and vitamins?

This is pretty my diet right here

Meat: Beef and lamb. Plus Calf Liver once a week.
    Fish: Fresh Salmon, Mackaral, Tuna, Cod
    Vegetables: Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions, Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Spinach
    Carbs: White Rice, Brown Rice and Butternut Squash
    Fruits: Avocados, Blueberries (eaten before breakfast in the morning)
    Drinks: Water, water, water. Lots of Bone Broth in morning and evening
    Other: Nutrtional yeast flakes, Fermented saurkraut, fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil, Coconut Oil (six tablespoons daily)

Fill in with foods I need for these (on the top of my head)

Vitamin A - Calf Liver, Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
    B-Vitamins: Meat and nutrional yeast flakes
    Vitamin C: The vegetables and blueberries
    Vitamin E ???
    Vitamin K2 Fermented Cod Liver Oil/ Butter Oil
    Selenium ???
    Chromium ???
    Potassium Avocados
    Vitamin D: Fish
    Magnesium ??
    Calcium ??

Probably forgot some more important minerals and vitamins. Need help with other things I can eat to resolve my gut problem, candida and clear acne.

Thanks for your time. Hope to get a good discussion going about gut problems = acne ?

Marra
    Last edited by marra; 02-06-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    1) Are you taking enough Vitamin D3? Most folks need 10,000 IU Daily to keep their blood level optimal at 70 to 100 ng/ml.
    Vitamin D3 is VITAL to our health, so get the at-home blood test after 3 months of taking 10,000 IU
    2) Are you taking a good Multi-Vitamin pill?
    3) Rub Grapeseed oil into your problem skin areas. This is a Miracle Product for skin problems on the feet, or anywhere else on the body.

Is there still a problem? Then this might be the cause:

The Symptoms of Bromide poisoning

Bromide poisoning can put you in a bad mental space with dark thoughts, depression, brain fog and general lassitude. Don't we all, from time to time? Before you reach for tonics, adaptogens, immune boosters and smart drinks let us get to grips with some of the other symptoms of bromide poisoning. Neurodevelopment is adversely affected by bromide as it dominates iodine receptors, causing behavioural problems like attention deficit hyperactivity disorders, (ADD and ADHD) schizophrenia and unexplained headaches.

We treat these symptoms with Rtalin, painkillers and mind altering drugs and expensive supplements out of the top drawer. But do we recognise the underlying causative factors? Along with an impaired emotional and intellectual status quo, bromide poisoning can result in adult acne, mouth ulcers and a bad metallic taste in the mouth...."
    Article Source:
    Bromide Poisoning May Be the Cause of Your Headaches, Bad Mood and Thyroid Problems!
    Bottom line here is that most Americans are severely iodine deficient, and every cell in the body has receptors to attract iodine. Unfortunately Chemicals halogens (class of chemicals to which iodine belongs) fluoride, bromine and bromides, and chlorine. Also "Pseudo-iodides" such as perchlorate, nitrate and thiocyanate cyanate,& pertechnate
    Iodine Dosages and Treatments – IMVA Iodine and Detoxification
    kick out what little iodine we have and fill in those receptors. Acne can be the result.

To find out if you are severely deficient in iodine, do the "Iodine Skin Test."

Grizz

marra is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

I'm taking Vitamin D3 in pill form 4000iu a day then two teaspoons of Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil daily. Guess it should come close to 10 000iu.

Other supplements I'm taking is Vitamin C, Vitamin K2, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Calcium and Nutrional Yeast Flakes for B-vitamins. Plus Niacin every once in a while.

I will have to look into Grapeseed Oil and Iodine (I eat a lot of fatty fish though) thanks

rennyp is offline Junior Member
    Hi Marra
    Sorry to hear about your problems with acne..not a nice thing to have.
    I have Crohn's disease (gut) and have problems with Candida as a result but it sounds to me like the antibiotics are responsible for your problems as they kill off ALL bacteria including the good ones. This would give an opportunity for candida to thrive so there is a good chance your acne problems are a result of this. I am not a doctor but I do know a fair bit about candida so you should maybe get this investigated.
    I noticed from your diet list that it included; Nutrtional yeast flakes, Fermented saurkraut, fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil. The yeast flakes will feed candida as well (I believe) as the fermented stuff. Any carbs will convert to sugar in the body and candida just loves sugar! So maybe you should look at things like Probiotics and Threelac to give yourself a good chance of clearing the candida up without doing yourself any harm. Feel free to look at my website if you like.
    I hope you can find a solution to your problems and wish you all the best
    Renny

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    By experience I recommend NOT combining carbs with fat. Try and leave a 1-2hour gap between high carbs and high fat. It has helped my skin a lot. The logic behind it is because carbs increase cell multiplication, which leads to more dead cells, and fat increases oil production. That combination will always create acne.

And as mentioned earlier, look into iodine. A bad thyroid can lead to a myriad of skin problems.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by marra View Post
    Thanks

I'm taking Vitamin D3 in pill form 4000iu a day then two teaspoons of Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil daily. Guess it should come close to 10 000iu.

Other supplements I'm taking is Vitamin C, Vitamin K2, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Calcium and Nutrional Yeast Flakes for B-vitamins. Plus Niacin every once in a while.

I will have to look into Grapeseed Oil and Iodine (I eat a lot of fatty fish though) thanks
    Get rid of the yeast flakes if you are concerned about candida, that's counter productive. Paleo eating is very GAPS-like, just without the focus on broth and fermented foods. I would suggest that you start a course of a strong probiotic and see how you feel in a month, as well as strictly adhering to an anti-candida and paleo diet (dairy may be an aggravation, so I would avoid it, hence not "primal"). Just my 2 cents.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

apple is offline Senior Member
    I've seen a few of you recommending to get rid of the nutritional yeast flakes. It was my understanding that nutritional yeast is not a live yeast, and will not feed any bacteria/yeast. Is this wrong?
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My first thought was "eat yeast to kill yeast? uh no" but I found a site saying that nutritional yeast flakes are okay. Personally I wouldn't take the risk and would replace them with a B-complex capsule/pill for at least a month while following an anti-candida protocol.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PrimalLMT is offline Junior Member
    I was listening to a podcast recently, the fat burning man, Abel James, was interviewing the authors of "naked calories" and they talk extensively about how supplementation is absolutely necessary in our country due to the lack of nutrients in the soil, so thus in our veggies, regardless of being organic or not. It is a very interesting interview, so I would highly suggest listening to it!!!

Gilleh is online now Senior Member
    Don't use shampoo and soaps, they contain chemicals your body doesn't like
    Use olive oil soap bar
    Doesn't leave my skin oily nor dry
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?