Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ox tail soup page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Ox tail soup

Primal Fuel
    I used to love ox-tail soup as a kid (canned).

So, I've just bought myself a frozen ox tail with the idea of making soup. No idea how to make it yet, BUT I'm sure hoping it tastes as good as I remember it (if not better cause it's freshly home-made!)

Any recipes would be appreciated.

beastie is offline Member
    Sally Fallon has a good Oxtail soup recipe in her book Nourishing Traditions. She includes barley with hers, but I skip it.

Basically, bake the oxtail for ~1hr. until browned, transfer to a pot. Deglaze the baking pan by bringing some white wine and filtered water to a boil in it (mixing in all those nice juices), and pour the liquid into the pot. Cover the entire oxtail with cold water. Add in some vinegar, thyme, onions, carrots, celery, pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for at least 24 hours. Strain the liquid, pick the meat off the bones and chop finely. Add the meat back into the broth and season to taste.

It sounds like you could do a lot of that in a slow cooker. Good luck with it!
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I used this one as a guide and I loved it: Oxtail Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    OMG soooo jealous I'm waiting for tropical traditions oxtail to come back so that I can order them and make soup

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    OMG soooo jealous I'm waiting for tropical traditions oxtail to come back so that I can order them and make soup
    Go to the giant Asian market in Cupertino, they will have them.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Do it Korean style..boil them for hours! Replace some water as needed...gets the good bone broth going. Then add ices..garlic..etc... I don't have details ..sorry, my wife is not around ATM. But it is great with rice and kimchi!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

_Wifey_ is offline Junior Member
    Mmm. I had oxtail soup for the first time last week and my bestie's husband did a very similar one to what beastie posted, except he used a red wine & beef broth. So tasty & was even better a few days later.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    i just found some at a food giant, if you haven't poked around some random grocery stores i'd recommend it. i found some fun foodie stuff there
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Go to the giant Asian market in Cupertino, they will have them.
    Those are like $5/lb and not grass-fed And oxtail is really fatty; I would prefer to get some that are not uber high in toxins and omega-6s

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the recipes and links.

My ox-tails have been slo-cooking for a couple of hours now, BUT I'm really disappointed by the smell. It doesn't have the rich aroma of bone broth, and instead smells a bit 'offaly'.

Not sure I'm keen on trying it (given the smell of cow's arse) though I'm hoping it will improve overnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast