Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, sugar I love you xxxxx page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

Oh, sugar I love you xxxxx

Primal Fuel
    When I try to stop eating sugar in it's various many forms, after a few days it make me feel down and like life will be miserable without it.

Is this a withdrawal from the sugar or is it just that I'm a pessimistic bastard who doesn't know what's good for him and likes cakes and choc choc's too much??

PS I've just had 85% choc squares and it's only 09:35. Surely this is the same as an alcoholic drinking in the am isn't it?

@lex is offline Senior Member
    85% dark chocolate? Not nearly as bad as milk chocolate,and imo the health benefits of dark chocolate makes it fine as an occasional indulgence.You had some dark chocolate squares,it's not like you did a funnel of Hershey's chocolate syrup,so calm down.Keep the dark chocolate as a treat every once in a while and you'll be fine,and even if you can't,cutting back on the vast majority of your processed sugar consumption is better than nothing.Also,I can confidently say that cutting sugar causes withdrawal symptoms,because I'm going through them as I type this.

Sharon C. is offline Junior Member
    I just posted yesterday in another thread about sugar addiction. I believe I have it. The first time I quit it was easier. I stayed off sugar a long time only indulging in dark chocolate 70% or higher. I was great that way. I was still able to lose excess weight and stay fit, feel great, and eat primal. Then I allowed myself only non-flour containing desserts. I did good with that, too and maintained that for a long time. About a year and a half. Then, long story, I had a piece of cake and it seemed to trigger the addiction in me in a much stronger way and once I began dabbling in flour containing desserts- the cravings came back strong and its been difficult. When I had got to the point where I wasn't eating sugar, I stopped craving it as well. But I can't seem to get enough time under me to complete the withdrawal. I think I need not only physical time but some mental time, too, to get used to turning down the many cheating opportunities that come our way. I did this once, for a very long time and I'm wondering how something so easy the first time is turning out to be so hard this time.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's withdrawal. Hang in there for amazing results! I am an absolute convert. I thought I just 'can't' drop the fruit & stevia, but after I did it, OMG, what changes!!! What helped me is that my first 2 weeks on the sugar free, I followed a simple diet of unseasoned ground meat & liver, eggs and boiled potatoes. It was so simple and filling & I did not have to worry about cooking, so withdrawal went well. Now, I am ~ 8 weeks in, and I stopped craving sugar, even fruit. And, my appetite is changing - I am full and energetic on very few calories, and when I get hungry, I am sharp and alert, not dizzy, disoriented and weak. I feel like "Yeah, I am hungry, gotta eat at some point' instead of feeling like I absolutely need that bloody food. It's AMAZING, I can't believe it is happening to me!
    Last edited by Leida; 02-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm going sugar free as of yesterday (minor failure with honey in my cottage cheese). My sugar withdrawal comes in the form of extreme moodiness the day after a "binge" (usually takings 30-50g of sugar the day before to make me feel it), but I've n ever experimented with types of sugar (fructose vs whatever else). Last week I had more fruit than usual, but still no more than 2 pieces a day. I had gelato two nights and the next day was terrible with mood and migraine-like headaches, but that could be a dairy issue as well.

Sugar affects your blood and your gut. You are feeding your gut bacteria way too much and it throws a lot of things off when you do that, then take it away. This leads to the potential argument of "Well then I guess I need to have sugar regularly", but I just imagine the long-term damage it might be doing to my gut and gut bacteria, and it keeps me from overdoing it. My boyfriend realized just today that he can't eat sugar like he used to, ie. in big doses, because he's not regularly eating it anymore. He woke up feeling nauseous after eating most of a bag of peanut-butter chips (like chocolate chips).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lawyerhands is offline Junior Member
    I definitely think sugar is addictive, not just physically, but also psychologically. Even if I have managed to stay away from sugar for 28 days so far, the THOUGHT of being without sugar also makes me sad/angry. It's my solution to many problems (tired? irritable? sad? Have a cookie!). I've been tired and sluggish for my entire whole30, and I'm suspecting it's a combination of sugar and caffeine withdrawal. Good luck!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Replace it with a kerrygold addiction. Just kidding. Ok, not really kidding.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    In a different threat someone posted that the sugar craving is your bodies way of letting you know it needs more carbs. We taste the sugar so our body knows to get it. The suggestion was eat some more veg, or a sweet potato or even a potato if you need to. Your body will get what it needs in a non-sweet form and it should help you get through the craving.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

DebraL is offline Junior Member
    If I ate chocolate at all, I'd be on a sugar bender like an alcoholic looking for booze. Since I'm new to primal, I started making "Coconut Flour Cupcakes" (which do contain honey) as a treat for myself while I adjust to this program. These little babies are just enough of a treat to keep me, and my sweet tooth happy. The recipe is in the reader-contributed "coconut" recipe book. Next week, I'm going to bake the chocolate chip cookies from that book and hope that I don't go into a chocoholic frenzy. I like that I'm still staying primal, but enjoying sweets differently than before. I'm wondering if something like that would work for you, too, elliottsmith.

Oh, I noticed that my "brain fog" has lifted! And my energy has skyrocketed. Wow. I'm a believer!
    Last edited by DebraL; 02-06-2012 at 11:49 AM.

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I gave up alcohol the year before last after going on a savage bender. I'm prone to going on a fucking mad one when I hit any drug really, one of my mates described me as 'Buzz Hunter'. I won't divulge any more of my drug fuelled secrets for fear of turning into a massive bore but I do believe whole heartedly that I have now swapped my drug of choice to sugar.

I'm Paleo (come on, milk comes out of cow's nipples you sicko's) most of the time and my weight is about 80kg and has been for around a year, but fuck me I am prone to a massive carb binge every two weeks. Usually last at least 24 hours has lasted for a week before I think?! But usually now it's 24 to 48 hours of reckless sugary feasting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast