Thread: Lean gains help... page

chuckp79 is offline Junior Member

Lean gains help...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been looking into and attempting to follow a lean gains style of eating. I like a lot of Martin's ideas and I personally find the 3 large meals a day with fasting to be very similar to how I ate for the majority of my life. I know he's not huge on using low carb nutrition as a staple and sticks to high carb, high protein on training days and high protein, high fat on non-training days. I'm curious to hear what those who follow this approach do as a means of their nutrition and if what you would suggest or recommend to others based on your experiences etc etc. as well as what type of workouts you do to go along with it. I currently follow a short (10 min or less) crossfit metcon style workout 5 days a week in conjunction with wendler 5,3,1 program. I'm very interested to see what others are doing and results they've gotten following a "diet" of this type.

Thanks for your help

ttwagneriii is offline Junior Member

Leansgains semi-noob

I am starting my 4th week of Leangains (as I understand it) and really like it so far. It sounds simple: skip breakfast, more carbs on workout days, eat big, lift big. There is a lot going on in there and I hope I am doing it correctly. I found a helpful summary of it here: LeanGains FAQ SolOrwell.com

Here are some observations and maybe some tips:

Skipping breakfast - This is still hard for me because I get very hungry. I drink some coffee and keep my water bottle close. Chewing gum helps me also.

More Carbs: I was zero carb until I started Leangains, now I will eat some potatos on the workout days. I think it does help, even though the type of lifting doesn't burn thru much glycogen. I have had some rice with sushi also. No processed carbs at all.

Eat Big: you can still screw this up if you over eat. This is still about running at a deficit. I HATE counting calories and am not anal enough to portion out my macronutrients. I eat a lot of animal protein and fat, a lot of veggies, and supplement with protein powder if I feel like I did not get enough. I have lost fat doing this.

Lift Big: reverse pyramid training is great. I do zero conditioning or HIIT/sprints right now. I kind of miss the sprints, but I want the heavy lifting to have a chance to work. Martin warns against doing too much in the gym. I am doing the workout you will find inthe FAQ I linked to earlier.

I definitely think you can pull this off and stay Paleo unless you believe potatos are evil. It is fun, I have seen good results in terms of strength gains and fat loss in 3 weeks, and it is not that hard. I might be a little more edgy in the morning when I am fasting, but I'll take that for now.

Hope it helps!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I have also been doing lean gains for about 4 weeks now. I love it. You get used to the 16/8, at least I did. Some mornings I am more hungry than others. I started with the normal -20/+20 deficit/surplus and weight has come off. I might alter the percentages and go -20/0 to speed up the fat loss. So far, I am happy with the progress for fat loss. My numbers in the gym have remained constant which is what I expected on a cut. I do close to no cardio. Occasional hike on the weekends. I go big on carbs for lifting days 350-400g consisting of white rice and sweet potato (maybe some occasional chocolate milk ). On non lifting days I am around 50ish. Once you get used to counting calories, it's really the easiest and most satisfying meal plan I have been on.

ttwagneriii is offline Junior Member
    I forgot a few things: I train fasted everytime. Initially, this was awful but I think I had hypnotized myself ino thinking it was going to be that way. Now, I love it. My strength is good and I have plenty of energy. Also, 10 minutes prior to lifting, I take 10gms of branched chain amino acids and 5gms of creatine. This is key. I do not take an NO type of supplement. Rest is also very important.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda.

chuckp79 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your replies. Over the last day or two a couple other people have posted questions on leangains and have had better results getting people to post back to them and reading those threads have helped as well. I'm not opposed to rice and I usually have a yam post workout. I'm going to kick up the carbs on the workout days and see what happens. I'm just going to have to get use to eating carbs again I've been keto or damn close to it for a while. It may take me a week or two to get my high carb days figured out or at least get acclimated to eating the amount of carbs I need. I figure, rice, yams/sweet potatoes and banana's will be my go to foods. I hate to say it but I may have to go to non-primal and eat oat-bran and raisins.

Fernaldo, Do you eat eggs on your high carb days or do you feel as though they are too high in fat for those days?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I normally don't on the carb days. Athough a couple eggs probably won't make a huge difference. I try to keep fat around 10% on these days. I actually took a break from eggs, I was getting OD'd on them. Prior to lean gains, it was my staple breakfast. Now that I don't eat breakfast, I have stopped eating them regularly.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 02-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.

i'm on day 2! yippie!

ok, so seriously...tomorrow will be the first time i have a big carb day. if i were to actually hit my macros and total caloric intake for the day, i'd consume 400g of carbs, all from white rice and sweet potatoes. not sure i'll be able to eat 2900 kcals, muchtheless that many carbos.

but i guess we'll see. i suspect i'll have an issue of getting down that many kcals from lean protein.

if you haven't seen this IF calculator, it's pretty neat: IF Calculator

as for eggs, yes...i intend on eating a couple of eggs tomorrow. my goal is less than 40g of fat on my high carb days.

g'luck.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckp79 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Over the last day or two a couple other people have posted questions on leangains and have had better results getting people to post back to them and reading those threads have helped as well. I'm not opposed to rice and I usually have a yam post workout. I'm going to kick up the carbs on the workout days and see what happens. I'm just going to have to get use to eating carbs again I've been keto or damn close to it for a while. It may take me a week or two to get my high carb days figured out or at least get acclimated to eating the amount of carbs I need. I figure, rice, yams/sweet potatoes and banana's will be my go to foods. I hate to say it but I may have to go to non-primal and eat oat-bran and raisins.

Fernaldo, Do you eat eggs on your high carb days or do you feel as though they are too high in fat for those days?